Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Edale loop Peak District conditions and direction
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

A few of us are heading up to Edale for the weekend again to ride the Edale loop taking in Hollins Cross, Rushup Edge, Roych, Mount Famine, Jacobs ladder again. Been fairly dry down south for a few weeks, wondered what the conditions are like up there? Last time out Rushup Edge was like a bog 😀

Out of interest, we rode clockwise direction, whats it like in reverse?

Cheers

tlr

It ain’t been dry up here recently!

Garry_Lager

Reverse is fine n dandy but clockwise is right for that ride IMO.
    Reverse suffers from a hike up Jacobs ladder and a v unremarkable descent down the other side. It does give you (options of) a nice descent off Hollins cross though – they’re probably the principal terms of the equation.

hora
    Free Member

Clockwise with the descent down Jacobs as the finale for me. Everytime.

Rain does NOTHING to the trail/that route IMO. It drains/etc very well.

I’m doing it on Sat am as well 🙂

nickswolves
    Free Member

Awesome, will leave the Bonty Mud X’s on then. I may see you there then hora – I’ll be the one with a white boardman bike so feel free to say hi if you see me 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Raw enduro with white Mazz 55’s 8)

nickswolves
    Free Member

Nice wheels 😀

vertebratetom

Roych Clough is much better anti-clockwise… and the climb up onto Rushup is a pretty nice challenge. You get to come down Greenlands into Edale too.

It’s one of those rides that works equally well either way, IMO.

EDIT – one advantage of clockwise is that in wet weather you can go up the sorry remains of Chapel Gate and avoid the boggy bit of Rushup. It does shorten the ride a fair bit though.

julians
    Free Member

Did that route on Saturday (but in the anticlockwise direction) as part of the hope valley mountain bike challenge (was very tough).

There were no issues with ground condition, but it has rained quite a lot since then.

teamslug
    Free Member

We were up there saturday too. Bit boggy in places but nothing too serious.Like ^ said it drains very well. Its rained quite a bit since then though. Forecast for saturday is ok , sunday not so good.

loddrik
    Free Member

Edale, dry? (Sniggers)

gibbonarms
    Free Member

‘Interesting’ route, I singlespeeded it a couple of weeks ago, dont SS it, I wont again! and Jacobs on a hardtail was er.. entertaining!!!!

I like to judge the routes I do by whether or not I’d go back and ride them again, and this will take a lot of time to erase my memory!!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nick I rode exactly that loop in April in a clockwise direction (as recommended). Surely you don’t need to ask the anti clockwise question if you rode it ? Anti-clockwise would be a carry up Jacobs and a rough double track down.

@gibbon Jacobs descent on a hardtail is great fun, FS not required

nickswolves
    Free Member

Will ride the loop clockwise as before I think as really enjoyed it last time and easier the second time around to find your bearings etc. Will also try to avoid going down the Jacobs Ladder footpath this time and look for the correct route 😳

Oh and as above Jacobs on a hardtail is fun!

hora
    Free Member

All the positives are cancelled out anti-clockwise plus theres the hayfield woods descent you can add on…its parallel to the shit drainage channel descent that brings you to the bottom of the long climb upto jacobs

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hola Hora,
    Any room for a spare on Saturday? Especially if you’re planning a swift early trip?

cheers

P20

We did that clockwise 2wks ago, 1st time on that loop and I loved it. Don’t think it would work anti-clockwise. Really enjoyed the descent down Jacobs Ladder. Oh and it was red hot and dry 😆

hora
    Free Member

thegeneralist definitely. As long as youll wait for me on the climbs and you carry sweets 😀

I was thinking 8-815am in Barber Booth if anyone is free/around

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hora,
    Just out of interest are you coming from the |Manchester end? I find parking in Hayfield saves a good half hour driving. Bit of a slog up Jacobs to start with but beats the extra drive.

hora
    Free Member

Yes but its only 45mins driving early. Plus I use my cheeky shortcut that avoids the Jacobs climb..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

‘avoids the jacobs climb’

But that’s the best bit. The time before last I managed it with only 3 rests if I remember correctly, keen to try it again.

NB – this is the easy side, not proper Jacobs, obviously.

Anyway, sounds like the missus has plans for the Lake District this weekend. I’ll let you know tomorrow evening if I’m coming along.

cheers

hora
    Free Member

Ive never had any rests, pushed most of it up 8)

Bunnyhop

It’s been raining most of today, so undertyre will be a tad soggy around Rushups.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can’t go.
    Enjoy it.

cheers

drewfus
    Free Member

Just got back home from doing the mam tor figure of 8…
    conditions werent too bad along rushup, but starting to get boggy
    should be o.k if it doesnt rain anymore over night… 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Edale loop Peak District conditions and direction’ is closed to new replies.