Home Forums Chat Forum Ecotricity Customers. I Salute You.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Ecotricity Customers. I Salute You.
  • 5lab
    Free Member

You’re doing the wrong sum, the argument is about the cost of heating using electric

electricity is broadly 4x the price per kwh, but you get to remove a standing charge of £100 – so based on using £600 of gas for heating, you’d be using £2,300 of electricity. That’s expensive, but not so expensive it would write a house off. Rent for a 3-bedder around here is £2000 a month, so you’d have to drop rent by 10% (which would probably drop the value of a house by 10%) compared to a passivehaus.

it will drive efficiency, but I can’t see it being cost effective to knock anything down

squirrelking
    Free Member

it will drive efficiency, but I can’t see it being cost effective to knock anything down

It will be when it’s the local authority/ housing association and their tenants are dropping like flies every winter. It’s already happening up here.

Mark

When I looked at it the Tesla was the only truely standalone option if the grid goes down (we get alot of power cuts due to overhead lines) and with a proper unlimited cycle warrenty.

It’s not standalone. Based on the fact we’ve had 2 power cuts of less than 2 hours in the past decade, we decided it’s not worth the extra. Warranty on our quote is 10 for the battery and 12 for the inverter.

irc
    Free Member

This is worrying. In the midst of a gas price and supply crisis it is reported the govt has blocked development of a UK gas field.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-regulator-rejects-shells-plans-develop-jackdaw-gasfield-sources-2021-10-06/

Whatever ones views on the march to net zero the fact we are relying on windpower for electricity means we are also relying on gas to balance the grid on low wind days and weeks. Wind power bakes in the need for gas. So refusing to allow domestic production looks like madness to me.

Not officially cofirmed yet. Hopefully just pre COP26 posturing.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Or more nuclear which is well known for its flexibility.

(yes that’s sarcasm)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not officially cofirmed yet. Hopefully just pre COP26 posturing.

It’s not official yet because it’s regulatory reasons.

They just need to address the issues and it’ll be granted. Albe it they are expensive issues.

Gov are just pushing it hard with the press to try and appiese the greens before they approve further exploration of the big hpht fields that they are under pressure to deny license to.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ecotricity Customers. I Salute You.’ is closed to new replies.