Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Ebikes frame only
  • kayak23

As far as I’m aware in my limited noticing of the ebike market, it seems that you have very little to no choice should you want to buy an ebike frame-only.

Why?

If I’m ever in a position where I wanted to buy one, I’d almost certainly prefer to do this.

An ebike frame with compulsory bits and bobs bolted on pictured recently

mariner
    Free Member

I don’t think the motors and battery have a common mounting system therefore you need to spec the frame for what you are going to use. Frame manufactures would have to produce several styles x the number of sizes in the hope of selling them.
    I have been looking myself.
    If you are thinking of going Bafang then Aliexpress has some.

orangespyderman

I don’t think the motors and battery have a common mounting system therefore you need to spec the frame for what you are going to use. Frame manufactures would have to produce several styles x the number of sizes in the hope of selling them.

I thought the OP just meant without forks, wheels, group, saddle, post, bars etc rather than without battery/motor

OP?

chiefgrooveguru

From a business perspective I think frame only is a very low priority. Also I suspect that they’d cost a lot more than you expect – you’re buying a frame and a motor and a gearbox and a battery and a control system. That cost can be hidden in the complete bikes with heavily discounted OEM components.

hols2
    Free Member

it seems that you have very little to no choice should you want to buy an ebike frame-only.

Why?

Just a guess, but I think the market for frame only would be so small that it’s not worth it.

dmorts

heavily discounted underspec’d OEM components

FTFY In my experience E.g. brakes, a heavier bike is gonna need better brakes if you want to go fast downhill

simondbarnes

FTFY In my experience E.g. brakes, a heavier bike is gonna need better brakes if you want to go fast downhill

There is far more variation in rider weight that there is difference in weight between a normal bike and an e-bike.

Can’t see frame only happening. Too many variables.

z1ppy

Bafang compatible frame, available in Frame only, frame/motor/battery or full build…
    https://www.cloudsto.com/ebikes/kirbebike-vapour.html

Pity it’s all a bit meh geo wise, let alone the looks department.

Meh

tails
    Free Member

I was thinking why don’t manufacturers offer more frame only deals at the higher end. Take the stumpjumper for example you can buy it frame only in carbon and you can buy the evo in both carbon or alu, so why not the normal stumpy in alu. Not that £2k for an alu frame is great value for money.

Also would they make more money as fox, dt, shimano etc won’t be giving their kit away. So surly the margin is bigger in frame only?

kayak23

I thought the OP just meant without forks, wheels, group, saddle, post, bars etc rather than without battery/motor

OP?

Yeah. I mean frame with motor and whatever battery system has been designed in.

I would think that the majority of us who potentially might ‘upgrade’ to an ebike, already have a bike-ful of decent parts.

I’ve got some very good Pikes, some great strong wheels, a reverb, good brakes, a dope cockpit setup brah…so why can’t I just buy a Spesh Turbo Levo frame and battery, for example?…

As mentioned, a lot of the parts you get are relatively middling anyway so why do I have to buy them just to then sell them on effectively used?

If I could buy frame-only, I might be able to stretch to a frame and a couple of batteries instead of one for example.

🤔

transporter13
    Free Member

I spoke to a guy at orange bikes about this and his response was that the motor manufacturers (shimano in their case) won’t allow them to sell frame only due to having to make sure the bikes are assembled and correctly calibrated

Like you kayak… Id be all over a decent frame only option

chakaping
    Free Member

I mean frame with motor and whatever battery system has been designed in.

How much would you expect to pay for that?

£2.5k for alu and £3.5k+ for carbon? That roughly reflects the price differential for full-ebikes over normal MTBs doesn’t it?

cchris2lou

Buy a complete bike and sell bits you don’t want.

cookeaa

It doesn’t really fit the target market does it, the majority of E-bike customers will be looking for a full bike to just ride, not a frame & motor for assembly.

It’s probably not in most manufacturers interests to cater for a relatively small minority of people wanting to buy part of a bike rather than flog a fully assembled product.

For Non-Ebikerists “self assembly” is probably a more common choice hence it’s more widely catered for…

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s possibly because of the improbable amount of e-bike specific bits they need/use?

Gears, Brakes, wheels, there’s probably more that have ‘e’ specific versions, whether you need them or not I really don’t know.

kayak23

Gears, Brakes, wheels, there’s probably more that have ‘e’ specific versions, whether you need them or not I really don’t know.

You don’t as far as I can fathom, at least unless you’re massive AND riding with the extra weight of an eeb.

Most decent stuff can take a pounding from light riders through to heavy riders, so a middling rider on an ebike with Lyriks or 36’s would be fine I expect.

Buy a complete bike and sell bits you don’t want.

Well yeah, . That’s what you must do, but why buy a load of bits you don’t want in the first place only to have to sell them on at used prices when they’d have been better off left in their box?

I spoke to a guy at orange bikes about this and his response was that the motor manufacturers (shimano in their case) won’t allow them to sell frame only due to having to make sure the bikes are assembled and correctly calibrated

Yeah I can see why they might say that but really? Do all ebikes get ridden around the block to make sure they’re ‘calibrated’?

It would be easy enough to run the motors and batteries and display on a fixture then wang it all in a box.

It’s probably not in most manufacturers interests to cater for a relatively small minority of people wanting to buy part of a bike rather than flog a fully assembled product.

Is it a small minority though? There’s shed loads of mtb’ers who might perhaps be tempted over the edge into ebikeism if they knew they could build one up cheaper using parts they already have and not go to the hassle of selling a bunch of used equipment.

chiefgrooveguru

“Yeah I can see why they might say that but really? Do all ebikes get ridden around the block to make sure they’re ‘calibrated’?”

I do wonder if the law does require ebikes to be complete and if all the kits are just in a grey area but those businesses are small enough to fly under the radar?

cookeaa

Is it a small minority though? There’s shed loads of mtb’ers who might perhaps be tempted over the edge into ebikeism if they knew they could build one up cheaper using parts they already have and not go to the hassle of selling a bunch of used equipment.

Surely that’s the point of ebike conversion kits, if you’re not feeling flush enough for a Levo or whatever just bung a Bafang mid-drive kit on your existing bike and off you go, the “DIYers” still aren’t going to drop £2k+ on a frame/motor/battery set it’s hardly a low cost proposition…

transporter13
    Free Member

It’s no different to people spending 2k or more on a boutique frame is it?

dusterbenny
    Free Member

Seems like Foes will be offering a frame only or various build options.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=foes%20racing%20usa&epa=SEARCH_BOX

kayak23

Surely that’s the point of ebike conversion kits, if you’re not feeling flush enough for a Levo or whatever just bung a Bafang mid-drive kit on your existing bike and off you go, the “DIYers” still aren’t going to drop £2k+ on a frame/motor/battery set it’s hardly a low cost proposition…

But the Bafang etc kits are pretty ugly and are really not what I’m talking about here. They look like and are, an add-on.

I’ve got a Cotic Rocket which has the shock filling most of the main triangle. Would I have to fit a rear rack for my battery if I bought a Bafang? 😂  No, I’ve got to buy a complete new bike.

My Rocket cost around £1600 with a cheaper shock if I recall. Would I spend 2k on an eeb frame and battery? Yes. Maybe.

With the exception of the Orange ebike, which frankly hit every single solitary branch, most of the better brand’s bikes have a much more integrated look aesthetically and practically.. Why can’t I have that?

*stomps feet and shouts it’s not fair*

twowheels
    Free Member

There are open mould Chiner options that use Shimano STEPS motors, if you like a gamble (not much feedback on chinertown or the mtbr Chiner threads)..

I think the STEPS motors are pretty expensive for non-OEM.

TBH I’d go for a small rear hub motor on a normal MTB at the moment.

As well as boutique UK options you also have the likes of Walty Ti.

twowheels
    Free Member

While Googling I noticed Bafang now seem to have an E8000 knockoff that seem compatible with the mounts. They also have a cheaper one.

Would be fun to try one with the Chiner frame.

kayak23

Just to be clear, I’m not looking to buy one just now, just interested why they’re not readily available.

If they were available, and I mean proper ones, not unknown guinea pig frames from afar, then I’d be tempted I reckon.

doomanic

The base model Levo is £4k and most of the components are junk. How much do you really think the frame/motor/battery combo is likely to be?

seosamh77
    Free Member

dmorts

Subscriber
    heavily discounted underspec’d OEM components

Doesn’t really, I’m on the chunkier side of chunky, and my 2012(I think) slx front, and deore rear have never let me down.

chiefgrooveguru

“The base model Levo is £4k and most of the components are junk. How much do you really think the frame/motor/battery combo is likely to be?”

Indeed. Through in defence of the base model Levo, all I had changed were the forks and brakes and added a dropper. And then a bit later swapped the bars and stem for ones that didn’t twist under cornering loads (but I had them spare).

Dilwyn
    Free Member

It might be something to do with the laws on shipping the batteries.

cookeaa

Indeed. Through in defence of the base model Levo, all I had changed were the forks and brakes and added a dropper. And then a bit later swapped the bars and stem for ones that didn’t twist under cornering loads (but I had them spare).

Hold on, a new fork and a dropper, and some brakes? That’s potentially some pretty significant upgrades (depending on what you went for) how much more was that on top of the £4K for the original bike?

chiefgrooveguru

“Hold on, a new fork and a dropper, and some brakes? That’s potentially some pretty significant upgrades (depending on what you went for) how much more was that on top of the £4K for the original bike?”

I paid just under £5k. 160mm Lyrik RC2, Hope Tech 3 V4 with 203mm discs and BikeYoke ReviveMax 185mm. Pretty no holds barred!

cookeaa

Jeebus!
    You could buy a couple of proper bikes for that Mister… 😉

chiefgrooveguru

“Jeebus!
    You could buy a couple of proper bikes for that Mister… 😉”

Yep! That was £5k total in case anyone misreads it – my LBS removed the bits I didn’t want, ordered in the other parts and did me a good deal. It’s replaced my full-sus and a 50cc scooter!

tomhoward

My Rocket cost around £1600 with a cheaper shock if I recall. Would I spend 2k on an eeb frame and battery? Yes. Maybe.

Best of luck with that, Levo batteries are £600ish alone, I imagine the same again for the motor, plus wiring etc. I reckon you’d be looking at £3k minimum, were they available. Though the base Levo hardtail is 2250, but very basic spec.

escrs
    Free Member

Id rather have the option to buy a frame, motor and battery than a complete e bike

My Specialized Kenevo cost 5.5k and comes with some crap parts!

So far Ive replaced the following

Wheels, the Specialized Roval wheels are terrible, rims dent easily, rear hub axles snap, bearings dont last, well known issues within the Levo/kenevo owner groups

Tyres, the Butcher tyres are lethal and everyone pretty much changes them straight away

Ohlins spring, the spring rates are far too low for most buyers (XL comes with a 548lb spring) dealers dont offer to exchange it for your correct spring rate when you buy the bike, the spring dosent even fill up the whole shock and the paint chips off it within the first week of riding

Wu dropper post is rubbish, known issues are seal pops out, it will just lose all air, Specialized were just replacing them under warranty with any seatpost of your choice

Bars and stem are pretty poor spec on a 5.5k bike

Brakes, groupset, forks etc.. are ok and seem to have no issues, all the Specialized branded parts are crap imo

When i buy my next e bike ill be swapping my good components over and selling on the junk unless a frame, motor and battery option becomes available

kerley
    Free Member

From a business perspective I think frame only is a very low priority.

Sums it up. Can’t imagine any company would sell that many so why bother. Majority of the market is not interested in swapping over components and the cost of the frame is about 80% of complete bike so again not a market when people would rather just pay the other 20% and have a bike with no hassle.

kayak23

so again not a market when people would rather just pay the other 20% and have a bike with no hassle.

and yet…

My Specialized Kenevo cost 5.5k and comes with some crap parts!

So far Ive replaced the following

Wheels, the Specialized Roval wheels are terrible, rims dent easily, rear hub axles snap, bearings dont last, well known issues within the Levo/kenevo owner groups

Tyres, the Butcher tyres are lethal and everyone pretty much changes them straight away

Ohlins spring, the spring rates are far too low for most buyers (XL comes with a 548lb spring) dealers dont offer to exchange it for your correct spring rate when you buy the bike, the spring dosent even fill up the whole shock and the paint chips off it within the first week of riding

Wu dropper post is rubbish, known issues are seal pops out, it will just lose all air, Specialized were just replacing them under warranty with any seatpost of your choice

Bars and stem are pretty poor spec on a 5.5k bike

Brakes, groupset, forks etc.. are ok and seem to have no issues, all the Specialized branded parts are crap imo

craig5

I think Forestal bikes (Cedric Garcia new brand) are planning to sell frames.

kerley
    Free Member

and yet…

One person does not a market make

enmac
    Free Member

I would expect it is to do with the requirement by law that they are limited to 25kph. Difficult to ensure that happens if you only sell the frame, battery and motor. The speed sensor on the rear wheel is an integral part of ensuring they are complying with the law.

kerley
    Free Member

I would expect it is to do with the requirement by law that they are limited to 25kph.

Could be but other bikes and frames that are no legal to ride on the road are sold (track frames, brakeless box frames and complete bikes). It is the rider who decides to break the law by riding it on the road not the bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Ebikes frame only’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM