Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ebay dodginess? Or being over cautious?
  • kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve won a bike on eBay, also advertised on PinkBike, but the seller is giving one word answers, won’t give house number details or his name due to “security reasons” until I pick the bike up, when I then have to call him and is generally triggering all my spidey senses. I’ve asked him to cancel the transaction. Am I being oversensitive? What would you do STW?

ulysse
    Free Member

If you aint paid yet, I’d knock it on the head, those inner voices are there for a reason and they are seldom wrong

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m not keen on telling people my address and the location of my expensive bike…

I usually just tell them to street/building and say ring me when you get here and I’ll meet you outside.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I haven’t paid yet, won’t accept PayPal which is kind of understandable as it’s possible to rip people off using that, so I do understand, it’s just the complete lack of proper communication, the requests to communicate by text rather than eBay, the inability to get contact details from eBay etc. It’s weird because they’ve got great feedback and the pinkbike/ebay accounts kind of link up.

handyman153
    Free Member

I’d side with Wiggles on this, I would be slightly nervous giving out my details, especially if i own a couple of higher end bikes..

If you want the bike, take somebody with you, if it helps with the funny feelings.
    J

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Even if it had sold through eBay and all contact via eBay? The bike is in the midlands, and I’m in York. Any STW members handy on Weds in the Bham area as backup?!

ulysse
    Free Member

Are you thinking you’ll get rolled? I was more thinking “doesn’t exist” or “nicked”

jonnyboi

It’s difficult, I’m selling a bike on gumtree and the first text is one asking for my address as they want to come and see it. It’s taken about a dozen back and forth texts before I’m convinced the buyer is genuine but I’m still meeting him at a local Tesco car park instead of the house.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I don’t know what I think is going to happen to be honest, other than something doesn’t feel quite right. I might be worrying over nothing, but the seller just isn’t filling me with confidence. They don’t appear to sell much bike stuff via their eBay account, and even though they have great feedback it’s not for anything related to bikes. It all just screams DODGY to me, but I can’t put my finger on why.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

And completely get the reticence to give address in first few messages, but I’m asking via eBay. I’ve got lots of 100% feedback and also mentioned I’d contacted through pinkbike.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

And now getting called a time waster via eBay messages. I’m out.

ulysse
    Free Member

Did you win it way under the pinkbike asking price?
    Could be the guys trying to back out of the ebay deal?

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

No, it was about the same price. He’s definitely not trying to back out.

taxi25
    Free Member

Not sure what your problem was ? The last bike I bought of ebay I didn’t know where the seller lived. It was “can I pick the bike up Saturday ” answer ” Yes, I’m not comfortable with people coming to my house can you meet me at my place of work”. I got that went down with cash job done. Even more so with MX bikes, no ebay punter is going to know where I keep those.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve bought loads and loads of stuff on eBay, and from here. I’ve never had someone so reluctant to answer questions, or give details etc. I agree about being cautious as a seller, it’s something I practice myself, but everything suggests something isn’t right. I may well be completely wrong, but my gut feeling is warning me off. I’m aware this makes me sound like a bit of a handwringer, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Ah well, it’s done now.

tonyf1
    Free Member

Bit old school I know but why not phone him?

Cougar

If it were me and not meeting at a seller’s house I’d insist on meeting in a public place and expect photo ID.

jonnyboi

@ashy. Sounds like you made the right decision, it’s not really worth the hassle and angst.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Just got to take the hit on my ebay feedback now no doubt

ulysse
    Free Member

Nope, sellers can’t neg. Just open the ebay case from your side first

deadkenny
    Free Member

wiggles – Member 
    I’m not keen on telling people my address and the location of my expensive bike…

This. It’s why I’m reluctant to sell anything on there for collect.

PayPal offer little protection to buyers and none at all if the buyer collects. Classic scam is they send a “friend” to collect, then file a complaint with PayPal that they never received it. PayPal backs the buyer and reverses the transaction. By the time you’ve argued it, they’ve disappeared.

ebay themselves are very biased towards the buyer (in their interest as they spend the money). As said, they don’t even let the seller ‘neg’ the buyer.

Another concern is with anything expensive, someone coming round, wastes your time and decides they don’t want it after inspection, but now has checked out your house hoping to steal it. Or they buy something you’re obviously chucking out in the hope to check out the place in case you’re replacing it with something expensive (a concern I have with Freecycle also).

This is all why I’ve given up selling on it. Too many time wasters and scammers.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I understand all the above, as I say I’ve sold loads but I’ve never had anyone be so unwilling to provide info or so quick to get aggro.

deadkenny
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member 
    PayPal offer little protection to buyers and none at all if the buyer collects.

Just to correct myself…

“PayPal offer little protection to sellers and none at all if the buyer collects.”

jonnyboi – Member 
    but I’m still meeting him at a local Tesco car park instead of the house.

Sadly there are scams/thefts here. Been known for buyer to bring along someone else, they distract you and someone runs off with the goods. Other way round too scamming the buyer, similar situation but runs off with the money after insisting you pay cash on the spot. Can also get violent.

Didn’t there used to be an escrow service for stuff like this? Money not released until both sides are happy etc.

devash
    Free Member

Sounds like the seller was genuine but a bit of a chav / knob with poor comms skills. If it was me and I didn’t want the buyer knowing my address for security reasons then I’d clearly communicate it in a civil way.

intrincycle
    Free Member

A seller can’t leave bad feedback for a buyer anymore….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ebay dodginess? Or being over cautious?’ is closed to new replies.