Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Ebay An unpaid item case for this purchase. Payment must be made
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Or what?
    I clicked buy it now, and then changed my mind, they are hassling me to pay for it. I mean what recourse do they have. There is no cancel button, it just seems like a way to start argument.

tomnavman
    Free Member

They can raise an unpaid case against you, you’ll get a black mark against your ebay account. Nothing more can be done…

bigblackshed

Just ask the seller to cancel the sale, or report you as a non-payer, so they can move on and sell it to someone else. Tell them politely that no amount of chasing you will result in you paying. Send it via eBay messages, put it all in one message, move on with your life.

This bit might sound harsh, but in future don’t be a dick. You’ve messed someone about, apologise, move on.

Cougar

Buy it, stick it straight back on ebay?

DezB
    Free Member

[stw] So you changed your mind and just left it, hoping no-one would notice? [/stw]

5plusn8
    Free Member

Dezb what’s your answer in dezb/ ?

DezB
    Free Member

Erm, I can’t get my head out of STW… but I’d say…. did you tell the seller you changed your mind before they raised an unpaid item case?

kerley
    Free Member

This bit might sound harsh, but in future don’t be a dick. You’ve messed someone about, apologise, move on.

Agree. Everyone moans about dodgy sellers on eBay but as a (non-dodgy) seller it is annoying when you get a non payer as you need to open case (after waiting a few days) and then give the buyer another few days to decide if they will actually pay. Wastes almost a week before the item can be relisted.
    Although the seller in this case seems like an amateur as every item I sell Buy It Now has an Immediate payment required stopping anyone from doing what the OP has done.

taxi25
    Free Member

Buy it, stick it straight back on ebay?

This +1

5plusn8
    Free Member

Slight misunderstanding. It was from an actual bike shop not an individual seller. Don’t you put things in your CRC basket and then change your mind? I got stuck down the rabbit hole of buy it now, thinking it was “going in my basket, I’ll mull it over”. Two weeks later I get “case opened”. Messaged shop last night and they were fine about it.
    Obvs if I was buying not from a shop I’d behave differently.
    Plus I feel like its partially the shops fault for not doing the instant pay thing above.
    As I said, its just a way to start an argument. If its a shop there should be a cancel transaction button or something.

5plusn8
    Free Member

PS these days I don’t use ebay other than for stuff from actual shops.

kelron
    Free Member

There’s usually an option to add to basket which isn’t committing to buy it.

From shop’s perspective they might have to open the case to be able to cancel sale without a mark against their account.

superstu
    Free Member

I’d imagine the shop has to go through those channels or they’d pay a sellers fee on something that hasn’t actually been sold as you’d changed your mind.

kerley
    Free Member

Buy it Now means just that, just under the Buy It Now blue button you will see Add to basket which is the same as adding to basket in CRC/elsewhere. You would have also got an email telling you to pay immediately after pressing the button.

Maybe you should go to one of those Barclays groups that show people how to use the internet 🙂

Dickyboy

Sellers will be charged a fee on the sale unless they can get it cancelled,so just accept cancellation and move on

Holyzeus
    Free Member

“Plus I feel like its partially the shops fault for not doing the instant pay thing above“
    No, 100% your fault.
    If I had done it i’d have messaged seller politely and if they refused to cancel i’d have taken it on the chin and move on

DezB
    Free Member

Click buy it now and immediately turn your computer off and not look at your emails for a week, this is what happens! 😂

mooman
    Free Member

Send email to buyer saying you changed your mind ASAP – then ignore whatever else they or eBay send you in regards to further issues … life doesn’t need to be complicated.

jonnyboi

Seller needs to open an unpaid buyer case to

A) avoid paying sellers fees
    B) prevent you from being a further PITA and leaving negative feedback.

The decent thing would have been to tell them as soon as you changed your mind.

kerley
    Free Member

A) avoid paying sellers fees
    B) prevent you from being a further PITA and leaving negative feedback.

C) so you get a non payment strike and if you get a few more your account is a gonna as you cannot be trusted to actually pay for the items you win

5plusn8
    Free Member

DezB

Subscriber
    Click buy it now and immediately turn your computer off and not look at your emails for a week, this is what happens! 😂

this is basically what I did…
    I guess I just see ebay as shop now, not a bring and buy sale. Apologies to all those whose feelings I have hurt. Luckily the seller was fine about it.
    I’ll avoid ebay in future in case my morals don’t match up. Or just not tell you lot about it..

Flaperon

in case my morals don’t match up.

The only wonky morals here are yours… if the seller had done nothing they’d have had to pay eBay for the sale that never happened.

jonnyboi

C) so you get a non payment strike and if you get a few more your account is a gonna as you cannot be trusted to actually pay for the items you win

On the basis that it’s true then yes. Easily avoided by not buying things you don’t want repeatedly

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Seller needs to raise an unpaid item case so he/she can claim their costs back from ebay otherwise they are out of pocket for the auction even if you don’t pay them.

You might have to accept the unpaid case and they’ll just get their fees back.

Worse case for you is people can stop you from bidding/buying if you have black marks against you, so you may miss out on some other items you actually want to pay for. Probably unlikely though for one.

taxi25
    Free Member

The decent thing would have been to tell them as soon as you changed your mind.

Nope, the decent thing to do is pay for the item.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Or perhaps ebay shops/pro sellers should not look like every other shop on the internet where people load up their carts as a wish list and then modify their desires.
    My point is that many of us are not aware of ebay seller rules about the fees they pay or any of the other detailed things that many of you know. To me it just looks like any other place on the net where I can engage in some consumerism. The fact that I then get funny emails about non payment just puts you off using the place.
    Your moral judgements of my actions are based on the assumption that I know anything about how it works. It just looks like a normal shop to me. And thats my issue. IT seems like a petty way to start an argument, when all they needed was a cancel transaction button.

boomerlives
    Free Member

My point is that many of us are not aware of ebay seller rules about the fees they pay or any of the other detailed things that many of you know.

It’s one of the fundamentals of eBay; pretty much the first thing you should know about it. It’s as much there for the buyer as the seller.

Your moral judgements of my actions are based on the assumption that I know anything about how it works.

You wear your ignorance with pride, and revel in the fact you are playing with something you don’t understand and seem hurt that you have been (gently) called out for it. If you don’t know how it works, you are best avoiding it. Other people will be suffering financially for your lack of interest in the t’s & c’s

maccruiskeen

Or perhaps ebay shops/pro sellers should not look like every other shop on the internet where people load up their carts as a wish list and then modify their desires.

Its not the seller’s fault that you don’t under stand what the button does – its has the words ‘Buy’ and ‘Now’ on it. Its not the same as putting it in your basket on any other kind of retail site.

chakaping
    Free Member

You better let us have your eBay username so we can all block you OP.

😉

Actually I think changing your mind is forgivable with a shop, IF you communicate properly, because you have consumer law on your side anyway.

Shane it’s still a PITA for the shop to resolve though.

5plusn8
    Free Member

As you wish, but the point is it is a barrier to trade, it puts people off. Well it has put me off.

Chapaking, will do – “Shane it’s still a PITA for the shop to resolve though.” is ebays fault right, I can see there is a difference between what ebay calls buy it now and add to your basket, but there are plenty of ecommerce websites selling all kinds of goods with a “buy” button.
    Being used to consumer law etc, you just expect “buy” to mean add to your basket, its not bought until you pay. As a user it felt like a scam to me, hence the initial question. I was like hang on, I added this to my basket now they are making out I have broken a contract. This is all based on mine (and most other peoples) absent usage of the net, ie not reading t&cs etc.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I am genuinely amazed that someone could think this was partially the sellers fault. Op, it’s entirely your fault, 100%. Stop trying to pass the blame to others.

5plusn8
    Free Member

tpbiker

I am genuinely amazed that someone could think this was partially the sellers fault. Op, it’s entirely your fault, 100%. Stop trying to pass the blame to others.

Or what?
    Consumer law is on my side. So you can say “stop” but you can’t actually do anything about it can you?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Maccruiskeen “Its not the same as putting it in your basket on any other kind of retail site.”
    Exactly, I realise that now, but again to me this just seems like a way to cause an argument and stop people from wanting to buy off ebay.
    Most sellers on ebay are shops, it sells it self as a shopping website? Ebay links come up on goolge searches under the google heading “shopping”.
    One would expect it to behave like a shop, and it seems the law expects it too.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re gonna keep digging you better buy a shovel as well.

But make sure you really want it, obvs.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I’ll put a few in my basket and think about it.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’ll put a few in my basket and think about it.

Which is precisely why the basket is there. Good work in finding it

tpbiker
    Free Member

Or what?
    Consumer law is on my side. So you can say “stop” but you can’t actually do anything about it can you?

Are you a child? Because you come across as one with a response like that.

This is entirely your own fault for not being bright enough to know how to use ebay. Something that millions of other people manage to do without much fuss whatsoever. If you honestly think this is the sellers partial fault then fair enough, but no-one else on this thread does. Maybe that tells you something?)

5plusn8
    Free Member

Compared to your attempt to treat me as one?
    I a pragmatist, it is not a useful system for buyers or sellers as it is unenforceable.
    You seem to think I should change my opinion because you have some insults and 5 other people agree with you? I don’t understand why it seem so upsetting to people that a bloke idly mistakes “buy it now” for “put in my basket”.
    Again, it seems the consumer rights people agree with me also, you seem to think it is OK for Ebay or sellers to try and intimidate people into thinking they have signed their rights away?
    It turns out lots of sellers are complaining about this on all the ebay user threads. It serves no-one but ebay.

jonnyboi

eBay always gives you at least two steps to confirm a purchase.

In this case rule one is being ignored.

kerley
    Free Member

On the basis that it’s true then yes.

Why would I lie about it? From eBay buying policy page

Unpaid items and account limits

Buyers who don’t pay may have unpaid items recorded on their accounts

Unpaid items are separate from feedback, and don’t affect a user’s feedback score or feedback profile
    An unpaid item will be recorded on the buyer’s account when the seller receives a final value fee credit
    If you have excessive unpaid items or canceled transactions on your account, we may limit or end your ability to buy
    Buyers have the option of appealing an unpaid item if they believe it was undeserved
    Unpaid items are also considered a violation of the buying practices policy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Ebay An unpaid item case for this purchase. Payment must be made’ is closed to new replies.