Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Easy question about brake mounts
  • chambord
    Free Member

Hi.
    Please clarify this for me before I hit the buy button.

I have a frame with an IS mount and some avid disk brakes that are post mount. I want to put these on the frame as it is currently on v brakes.

The rotor is 160mm, will this do the job:

this from ebay

I assume that brand is irrelevant? Also is it important to get is->post and not post->is or are they all the same?

Thanks a lot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

unless the brake works with a 140mm rotor currently it wont work, the adaptor spaces it up 20mm, there is a +zero is to post but they are hard to find.

cp

Edit. It will work fine on the rear, I.e. frame but not on the fork, you’ll need a different one for the fork, unless your fork is post mount already in which case they’ll go straight on with a160mm rotor.

chambord
    Free Member

Hmm not as easy as I thought then… how about this one?

Edit: just seen cp’s reply. I assumed that was the case, it does seem to say that it’s for a 160mm disc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

every is to post I’ve had has spaced the brake up.

andyl
    Free Member

That adapter on a fork would do 180mm disc, on the rear 160mm disc.

A 160mm front adapter would do 140mm the rear.

Genuine shimano adapters are different though as the holes on one (forget if it’s the front or the rear) has the caliper holes slightly off-centre so should not be used on the wrong end. I think its the rear shimano that has the holes slightly further in towards the disc so if you use it on the front it’s hard to get rid of rubbing but using a front one on the rear (ie a 160mm front to use a 140mm disc on the rear) just needs some shims to space the adapter in a bit.

Cheaper and more generic ones are generally interchangeable and avid ones come with cone washers to adjust the caliper position.

cookeaa
    chambord
    Free Member

I’ve gone and ordered the first one. If it doesn’t work I’ll try the +zero one I linked in my second post, I can always send it back (I guess) or if not stick it on ebay again.

Cheers everyone

davewalsh
    Free Member

Op, please clarify if you are fitting the brakes to front, rear or both ends.

chambord
    Free Member

Rear, sorry should have been clearer. The forks are already post mount so no worries there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Easy question about brake mounts’ is closed to new replies.