Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Easton Havoc Carbon Wheels out
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Only in germanland right now…no mention of weight but that’s some tasty bling wheel right there

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Great. Wonder if they will repeatedly fall apart like the aluminium ones do.

DezB
    Free Member

Go on – how much are they?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Great. Wonder if they will the hubs will repeatedly fall apart like the aluminium ones do.

FIFY

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

FIFY

Not just the hubs 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do the alu ones have a habit of turning into toast then? I’ve broken a few spokes but other than the rear hub the wheels have been solid.

slowrider
    Free Member

Just fitted a set of the aluminium ones! Not what I wanted to hear…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

2200 euro so about £1750 right now
    Then again I just got the normal havocs off crc for £360, so I’m oot.
    You could get the haven carbons on crc for £1000 now, but they are a little narrow. I bet the havocs would be soopoib. I have heard the horror stories too about the hubs…mine were built 04/12 so hopefully…they will be fine.

Just treated myself to the Havoc 35 carbon bars n stem from the US 🙂 Jeepers momma, that’s one stiff bar.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You could get the haven carbons on crc for £1000 now, but they are a little narrow.

Fine for a 2.2 Conti/2.5 Maxxis tyre though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve written about my issues with them before on here, but in short over a 6 month period I had the first set of wheels which were plagued with the usual hub problems, a recurring freehub issue & a build quality issue surrounding spoke tensions & wheels going out of true.

These were replaced (after nearly a month with no wheels whilst Extra/Easton fannied around deciding what to do) with a new set, which promptly did the same, so they gave me my money back (after another month with no wheels).

I built a set of Flows on DT 240’s myself (first wheels i’ve built) after. 12 months later, including a month in the Alps, 2 Megavalanche’s & subbed numerous times for my DH bike I haven’t touched them once.

Even if I did, I could wander into any shop and buy off the shelf spokes & replace them myself, rather than farting around sending wheels off for spokes to be replaced if they break.

Gotama
    Free Member

For exactly the reason described by Hobnob above why would you buy these over an Enve with King/Hope/DT combo where the hub is tried, tested and rated 😕

t-p26
    Free Member

ah yes, Easton carbon wheels…….

njee20
    Free Member

Why buy carbon MTB rims? They’re heavier than the lightest alu ones, and even if stronger than an equivalent alu one they are 10 times the price.

Tubs yes, but carbon clinchers still seem pointless to me

ooOOoo
    Free Member

A lot of takers on here then 🙂
    I want to try some. Up until they break, I bet they corner real noice.

Northwind

njee20 – Member

Why buy carbon MTB rims? They’re heavier than the lightest alu ones

But not comparable at all on stiffness, width or strength. How much use would you expect to get out of the lightest alu rims on a downhill bike, or even a 5 inch full suss that sees any sort of hard use?

Well, hopefully on strength anyway 😆 Though TBH with Eastons I’d be more concerned about the rest of the wheel.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Just fitted a set of the aluminium ones! Not what I wanted to hear…

too late to check for posts on here or MTBR then… Easton just have their hub/bearing design wrong. Girly friend of mine has just had her easton road hub bearings fail catastrophically for the 2nd time in 12 months. Every other review mentions hubs loosening and bearings failing. They look lovely and I have haven bar and stem and had considered the half price haven wheels merlin and CRC have both had in the last few months, but even at half price I decided it wasnt worth buying into the potential problems.

boxfish
    Free Member

My bargepole is staying safely locked up. 😯

Popocatapetl

Nowt wrong with my Havens. Had them 7 months now and they’ve just been smashed to bits for a week in Les Arcs and still running good. Scratched, but still bling 😀 No bearing issues whatsoever.

boltonjon

Easton wheels are nice and they work well – but there aftersales service is AWFUL!

Wheels break – they take a hammering – but at least i can buy new bearings, axles, freehubs, spokes and stuff for my Hope wheels everywhere

I’ve been helping a mate source some freehub spares for his Easton wheels – 10 weeks.

How can a company possibly allow this to happen??

I’m in the market for some XC wheels and seen the massive CRC sale – but i still kept well away

STEER CLEAR!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

ah yes, Easton carbon wheels…….

Is that a DH bike on a DH course? It looks suspiciously like Fort Bill.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Easton Havoc Carbon Wheels out’ is closed to new replies.