Home Forums Chat Forum Earbuds/cordless earbuds that arent overwhelmed by wind noise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Earbuds/cordless earbuds that arent overwhelmed by wind noise.
  • breninbeener

My morning dogwalk takes me up high on a bleakish hillside that always has a good strength wind blowing.

I like to listen to music and podcasts whilst im out, so i use earbuds. I have some JBL totally cordless BT buds, but when the wind blows they are just overwhelmed by wind noise. Ive tried pulling my fleece hat over my ears but it just makes no difference.

Can anyone recommend some earbuds that are immune to this roaring noise generated by the wind?

ossify

Bone conduction instead of in-ear? Either that or larger over-ear headphones maybe. Just a thought, no specific recommendations, sorry.

fadda

Not sure I’ve tested them in high winds, but my Bose QC 2s seem to seal in my ear canal fairly well, which is most of the problem, I’d guess.

Refer to the earwax thread to see how bad an idea that probably is! ?

Edit: as below, the noise cancelling is quite good (I forgot they even had that!)

mattyfez

Maybe some earbuds with active noise cancelling?

Sony linkbuds-S?

doris5000
    Free Member

Maybe some earbuds with active noise cancelling?

This might help, but you’d still need to try a few pairs.  I’ve got some Bang & Olufsen earbuds with active noise cancelling, and they’re unusably shite on a breezy day.

Alex

My Sony WF somethings were noise cancelling but really struggled in any kind of wind. The puppy ate those (well not quite, I got to her before she swallowed them, but they were no longer any use for a human ear) so I ended up with a set of on-offer Beats Fit Pro. The app tests which buds work best for you to get a really good fit. I ended up with one L and one M!

NC on these is really good with the right fit. I’ve not been out in very strong winds but they are noticeably better than the Sony’s.

K

My bose QC II earbuds are terrible with wind blowing on them, it does some sort of exaggeration of it with the noise cancelling.

Aftrrshock bone conductive, can’t remember what version but a good few years old are great and not effected by wind and you can still be actually aware the outside world.

butcher

I find a beanie makes next to no difference, but pulling the hood up on my Montane Prism almost silences the wind with noise cancelling. I think it’s just a case of stopping the wind getting to your ears.

zomg

Another vote for Aftershokz. They’ll still get drowned out by noise, but by actual noise if it’s loud enough rather than creating their own cancelling “hiss” for wind noise. The microphone on mine (Aeropex IIRC) doesn’t do anything miraculous for wind noise if you’re making calls, so you can’t do that in a howling gale, but they’re great for listening to music, podcasts, etc.

tafflade
    Free Member

I use a pair of Sure SE215 wired ear buds riding my motorbike, usually listening to podcasts commuting 50 – 70mph. They work well.

I also have a pair of Sony CX500 (iirc) which also work well for walking and general out and about stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.