Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Dyson umbrella anyone?
  • mechmonkey
    Free Member

Umbrella design concept

Bit skeptical but nice concept.

Bregante

*checks today’s date

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Will it be overpriced and made of substandard materials in a Chinese sweatshop?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m sure you mean Malaysian Zulu. 🙂

And you should hear how he insists it’s pronounced.

IanW
    Free Member

It would still get forgotten when actually needed same as every other brolly.

LeeW

If it sounds anything like the hand drier, it wouldn’t surprise me if you end up with up your Harris.

RustySpanner

And you should hear how he insists it’s pronounced.

?

IanMunro
    Free Member

“ideation”

Excuse me while I just swallow the bit of sick that came up.
    I’m guessing that the designer is assuming some sort of global catastrophe happening that will mean by 2050 air, or for that matter rain, is made of something different to what it currently is. 😀

Tom83

Noise.

pugster007
    Free Member

What a flawed ‘ideation’. He points out that a regular umbrella turns inside out when it’s windy – How the hell will this work effectively in strong wind !

sharkbait
    Free Member

So it blows the rain up, in a cone, so surely the water flows to the bottom of the cone. Meanwhile more rain is falling and false to the bottom of the cone where it’s shear wight overcomes the airflow and runs straight down your arm. – or does the handle contain a jet engine that runs on nothing?
    Also, what happens when you switch it off? I presume all the water that was being held up onto use its gravity trip.

Creating solutions for problems that dont exist? Wear a hat.

maccruiskeen

Its a bit of creative play – what would be a stupid idea is sending marketable, manufactureable ideas, for free, to a marketing and manufacturing company.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with a bit of creativigeering.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Presumably the force required to blow air with sufficient force out of the top of his ideation so that it blocks rain, won’t cause it to shoot downwards towards the floor with such velocity that it smashes to tiny weeny bits? Or am I missing something? The ideator has also obviously never been to Scotland, where all rain travels horizontally at face level.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Imagine what would happen to somebody with a real umbrella if they get close to this!

jimification
    Free Member

Its curved handle reminds classic umbrella in a poetic way“.

– The exquisitely honed prose can’t hide the fact that it’s just one of these pointed upwards…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What if the rain isn’t coming vertically down?

honeybadgerx

I feel his lack of creative ideaology has resulted in reduced optioneering leading him to solutionize a product born from ‘grey sky’ thinking.

deus

Looks as though it’ll make a cracking walking stick when it’s not raining/ when the batteries die.

B_Leach
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    What if the rain isn’t coming vertically down?

Same thing you do with an umbrella when the rain isn’t dropping vertically.
    You point it opposite do the direction of the falling rain. And your legs get wet regardless.

headfirst
    Free Member

the most ‘un-green’ piece of technology possible surely?

“blah blah blah uses only air blah blah blah

…and electricity. if it ever comes to market it will go the same way as his clothes washing machine or non-fans

bencooper
    Free Member

“Are Umbrella Really Practical?”

The plural of umbrella is umbrellas. Sheesh.

Anyhow, meh – there was a really clever* idea I saw which used an ultrasonic transducer to shape the raindrops into airfoils which would then drift off to one side.

*clever in a totally not practical or ever going to work way.

deus

Really needs to be a Star Trek style force field. Stops photon torpedos and rain!

Aidy
    Free Member

Bah, looked at some of the other stuff he’s got up.

Bleugh. I hate when art students play at engineering.

konabunny
    Free Member

Bencooper: you realize the guy is a French student and not Dyson right?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And your legs get wet regardless

and when you get to your destination you can just blow dry your trousers 🙂

scuzz
    Free Member

Bleugh. I hate when art students play at engineering.

I designed the new iPad!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Dyson umbrella anyone?’ is closed to new replies.