Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Dyson Hot
  • v10
    Free Member

Sick of the OH moaning about it being cold when we go to bed and i cant get away with the ‘stick a jumper on’. I could stick the heating on but it seems a waste for one room for a short period of time so considering a little fan heater. Can pick one up for very little but does anyone have a Dyson Hot? Is it worth all that £?

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

May be a little old fashioned now but has she not heard of hot water bottles? lol

carlosg
    Free Member

she’s your wife man , can you not think of a suitable way to warm her up ?

Cougar

Blankie over half of the bed?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

What, you’re not warming the bed for her before she gets in?? Grounds for divorce, that!

properbikeco
    Free Member

£300 goes quite a way towards electric blanket/central heating costs

and that’s before you pay for the leccy for the dyson!

v10
    Free Member

Its more the ambient temperature in the room when shes getting ready for bed / up in the morning thats the problem – its lovely and warm under the duvet – hence blankets/hot bottles wont make a difference.

I can use it as a ‘cold’ fan for when im on the turbo too.

br
    Free Member

Turn the radiator on?

DickBarton

Turn her on?

footflaps

Is the Dyson worth the huge premium over a cheap fan heater? NB Genuine question….

matt_outandabout

Only one sure fire way of warming up the bed.
    Dutch oven. 8)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

can’t you set the heating to be just toasty at bed time and waking up time?

Got to be cheaper than buying a fan using electricity

daveh
    Free Member

I havent seen a Dyson hot but it looks to me like the air from the fan is accelerated by jet or anulus outlets. This entrains air from behind so the air penetrates (oo er) further. This means better heat at a few meters away and possibly better uniformity in the room. You could just put a cheap fan heater on for a tad longer, you can buy an awful lot of extra electricity for the extra price of the dyson. it’s not a gimmick but you’d buy one for reasons other than heating efficiency!

v10
    Free Member

footflaps thats what im asking – is it really worth 10x as much as a fan heater?

Link is interesting reading – looking for something to stick 3-4 degrees into one room quickly and it does seem to be good at this.

We don’t have (need) the heating on so having it on for a few hours just to heat one room for effectively 15 mins whilst she sorts herself out doesn’t seem efficient. A half hour blast with the dyson is roughly 1Kwh (12p). I dont know how to work out the gas equivalent but i cant see it being much cheaper and anyway I can live with less than £1 a week to keep her happy!

piemonster

she’s your wife man , can you not think of a suitable way to warm her up ?

She his wife!!! The sort of thing you seem to be alluding is no longer an option. Not as a regular solution anyway, just birthdays and anniversaries if he remembers them.

v10
    Free Member

Your not wrong piemonster 😥

dogbert
    Free Member

or

maccruiskeen

What, you’re not warming the bed for her before she gets in?? Grounds for divorce, that!

Its not that he doesn’t warm the bed, its the (parp) way he warms the (parp) bed. (parp)

andyl
    Free Member

get a single bed electric blanket and put it under the bottom sheet on her side so she lies on it. A lot more efficient than an air heater as the duvet is an insulator and works both ways – ie stops you losing heat but also stops heat getting to you. Electric blanket will warm her directly and not have to pass through the duvet.

ahh just noticed the “getting ready for bed” bit. In which case yes air or infra-red heater is needed. The biggest benefit to me of the Dyson is the style as normal heaters are ugly. It may work quite nicely too and the way the air is moved make a difference in getting the warmth yo her quicker but it’s up to you if it’s worth the extra. Infra-red will heat her directly and give a more instant warming effect which may be more effective if you can find a nice looking one but there may also be a narrow effective band which is no good for someone moving around a room.

Get a small skirting board heater and leave it on. Sample

footflaps

Link is interesting reading – looking for something to stick 3-4 degrees into one room quickly and it does seem to be good at this.

The efficiency margin is quite small compared to the 10x cost difference. Does see to by a case of style over substance.

scaled
    Free Member

Small oil filled heater?

Only thing that would annoy me is that pretty much all heaters make a bit of noise and will have to come on before you want to get up.

Even the oil filled ones give off the odd Pinging noise as they expand a bit

crankman
    Free Member

Dude, you sound like you definitely want to buy it, so buy it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Heated blanket – About £20 to buy and around 2p an hour to run.

‘kin awesome!

scuzz
    Free Member

Based on 12.5p / kWh and the figures used in the above “Scientific Study”, to acheive a 5 degree rise every day, the return on investment of the Dyson Hot over the standard heater is ~43 years.
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Its more the ambient temperature in the room when shes getting ready for bed / up in the morning thats the problem – its lovely and warm under the duvet

WTFU is what you need there.

As for heating – oil-filled rads are much better than fans ime.

footflaps

As for heating – oil-filled rads are much better than fans ime.

+1, Mrs FF has one in her office for when she’s WFH rather than heat the whole house with CH.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t believe nobody has suggested it but she needs to WTFU! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I did, two posts ago!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

FAIL. 😳

More seriously though, I do find it amazing that someone’s contemplating spending the thick end of £300 just because they’re a ‘bit chilly for a few minutes’

nealglover
    Free Member

Oil filled electric radiator with a thermostat will be as effective in my opinion.

Unless you actually want the Dyson Hot because it looks nice.

And if that’s the case, then buy one. It will do the job just as well, it will just cost a lot more and look a lot nicer

footflaps

And if that’s the case, then buy one. It will do the job just as well, it will just cost a lot more and look a lot nicer

Plus you get a remote control….

jfletch
    Free Member

More seriously though, I do find it amazing that someone’s contemplating spending the thick end of £300 just because they’re a ‘bit chilly for a few minutes’

Someone spending money to make their life more confortable, shocker!

v10
    Free Member

Borrowed a 2.5Kw oil filled radiator today – its been on for well over an hour and done next to bugger all. Will pick up a cheap fan heater and see how that goes.

PP im sorry for offending you for considering the Dyson 😉

Sui
    Free Member

i do believe this subject has been done to death on here many times before. Energy in is the same to energy out when using elecy – Oil fileld, fan, radiant heaters will all use the same or thereabouts of energye to heat a typical space.

Fan heaters are good for well insultated rooms, quickly warming, radiant (solar things) great for drafty environments to stand/sit in front of.

To get cheaper than elecy is to use gas, then parrafin, then central heating/wood burner.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

v10 – Member

Borrowed a 2.5Kw oil filled radiator today – its been on for well over an hour and done next to bugger all.We use a De’Longhi Dragon 3 oil filled radiator to heat a large bathroom with 2 external walls (single course bricks / no insulation) and its great. Instructions advise to turn it up full if it hasn’t been used in a while…the thing will make a racket pinging & plinking while it heats up and ends out belting the heat out. Use the thermostat to set a temp thats comfortable (ignore the readout – might take a day or two of faffing) and bingo. No more condensation running down the walls, no need to turn on the central heating to combat the aforementioned and no God-awful chill in the bathroom when I stumble in for a 3am call of nature.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP im sorry for offending you for considering the Dyson

🙂

Not to do with Dyson. If you’re cold, get a heater. But £300 for a few minutes a day? Really? Really really? 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

But £300 for a few minutes a day? Really? Really really?

£1,500 for a pushbike? Really really etc etc

andyl
    Free Member

Selling the Dyson Hot in costco for £270 ish including VAT.

Putting any arguments about the efficiency of any electric heater aside they do look a damn site better than any other heater/fan on the market and if £300 is not an amount you will lose any sleep over spending on a heater then get one. You can always move it somewhere else at other times if needed or use it as a fan in summer. I can fully understand all the benefits of the Dyson fans/heaters over conventional and while any electric element is basically 100% efficient the execution of getting the heat to the person is where massive losses in effectiveness can come in.

The Dyson site also has alternative colours.

I used to love my Dyson vacuum cleaner but I got annoyed over the filters that are very hard to clean and expensive to replace. But when it’s working it’s great and is so much better built with a much better choice of materials than other machines I have used. I also like the idea of air blade hand driers but i find the gap too narrow and have to really concentrate so I don’t touch the sides.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Dyson Hot’ is closed to new replies.