Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro roll call
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

So who is going and which version of the event are you doing?

I’m hoping to get down late Saturday to avoid getting up too early on Sunday and I’m doing the traditional event and hopefully the extra “bonus” loop too.

Weather looks ok as well, despite a bit of mid-week rain.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ll be there from Fri eve through to Monday. I last did it in 2014 and did the extra bit then so hope to do it again this time.It looks like they are using the nice long final descent of the ChlimachX trail this time as the finisher which will be a fun way to end it.

jonjones262
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in, gonna be aces!

Is the 3 mile 1st climb still in? 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is the 3 mile 1st climb still in?

Yup, and then another and another and another…………

jonjones262
    Free Member

ha ha!! yeah! I forgot about the other hills 🙂

duncancallum

Think there a chunk of us from MNPR coming over

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Isn’t that first climb 7 miles with a 3 mile ramp up at the end ? 🙂

flumewelck
    Free Member

I’m there Friday evening to Monday too. I’ll be doing the 56k not 60k as I wouldn’t make the cut off anyway. Extra rocky this year too lol.

iolo
    Free Member

I have an entry going spare if anyone needs one. £25.

jonesyboy

I’m there with a few mates, did a quick recce the other weekend all looking good 😁

southwestrider

I’m there on Saturday afternoon, going for the 56km as I don’t see me making the cut off time. Doing it on a hard tail! should be fun – I think!

jonesyboy

Hardtails should be mandatory 😀

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m in.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I was considering taking my hardtail due to all the fireroad climbing that’s in the event,but I’ve managed to shake that idea off .
    Loads of nice riding in the area so gonna be doing some exploring over the weekend .

stevedoc
    Free Member

First time doing this after knocking the Ardrock on the head this year, looks like a different format to the Ardrock, looking forward to it, fingers crossed the climbs are worth the runs down.. is there a gpx of the route yet ?

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’m on a HT too! I did it fully rigid a few years ago, is was aces!

Weather’s looking good for the weekend too! 🙂

taxi25
    Free Member

First time for me, full route with extra loop obviously 😉 I’ll be on a hard tail as thats all I’ve got anyway 👍 I’m old and boring, is the quite part of the campsite “quite” or just less noisy ? I’ve heard things can get pretty boisterous!!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

@jonesyboy What are the ground conditions like there at the mo-is it very wet ?

taxi25 I can’t remember it being too loud there camping.I think they have a curfew time.

stevedoc,its a good fun event but brace yourself for the climbing. I think when I did it in 2014 my friends gps’s were recording 7500 to 8000 ft of climb( not sure if this was correct as more recent events show around 2000ft less? ) and around 40 mile round trip overall.

It’s a big fun weekend for Machynlleth as they have a 3 day comedy festival running there too (In case you didn’t already know) :

Comedy Festival

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m going down. Be there Saturday morning. Got some gigs booked for Saturday and Sunday afternoon so i’m going to have to get a move on to get back. Don’t forget to wash your bike at the garage just past the co-op when you get back….dirty bike means no souvenir mug. ( some fungus in the woods they don’t want spreading round).
    Just looked on my Strava from 2017 35 miles 4600feet of climbing. Its a lot harder than that though. Epic downhills. The ‘World Cup Downhill’ is great and last year I rode rode the Climachx trail and the last descent is ace too.

jonesyboy

Did the Climach-x and World Cup downhill a few weeks back, was dry as a chip. It has chucked it down since then, but should drain well being rocky. A few slashes in the tyres so anchovies aplenty!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Me the girlfriend and a few mates will be there from Friday evening until Monday morning. Big blue Vango tent. Looking at a chilled social pace for me, no hot laps or anything. Be nice to have the chats and take in the atmosphere for a change.

duncancallum

Who’s bbqing even though it’s now apparently verboten

whytetrash

Anyone know if you can pay for parking +camping on arrival… we had a lodge booked last year so weren’t required but subsequent cancellation and rolling entries over to this year meant we couldn’t book them! I’ve emailed but no response as yet… cheers folks😉 oh I’ve done the last 13 editions it’s epic!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Not sure about paying on arrival,but you can still do it online by the looks of it if that helps. It’s what I had to do .

Dyfi Tickets.

whytetrash

Doh… why didn’t I look on there? Last year it was all booked as one from memory! Cheers buddy😁

dav1d
    Free Member

Am I being blind, or does that link just say ticket sales have ended?

Have booked camping and parking for 1 car as a group, but need to add another car parking ticket (for the weekend) now that we need to travel separately. Can’t work out how to do that from the website.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

@dav1d Your not being blind the online ticket sales have now ended by the look of it – it was certainly available earlier.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Well that was good. Personal highlights being:
    – luffys monster helpings (having just experienced some of the comedy festival “street food” miniscule portions at ridiculous prices
    – great riding all day long, especially the world cup dh faster than I would normally feel comfortable
    – sunshine and good vibes
    – seeing old pals

jonesyboy

Awesome ride, curry at the end was ace. The guys work so hard for that event yet there were people moaning about the queue for the bike wash. Think it was about 45 mins for us, and free. No pleasing some people. The guys were super apologetic (needlessly) and apparently had been getting a fair bit of grief, appalling behaviour from those whingeing c#ckends.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ready for bed now and the thought of a hit clean and inspection in the morning isn’t pleasing. The day however started at 6am with the 2.5 h drive to the Dyfi and the event didn’t disappoint. Fantastic downs and bitch climbs made for a hard afternoons sweat /graft. the last two runs were brilliant. One thing I have to add as a negative is some riders were out of their depth on the techy stuff, most would more over to let faster riders pass but there are always a few that think the day is just for them, shame really, but that aside still a fantastic days riding.

taxi25
    Free Member

there were people moaning about the queue for the bike wash. Think it was about 45 mins for us, and free. No pleasing some people.

Which stretched to 1hr20mins, after 5hrs on the bike and the prospect of a 3hr drive home. Unless you had it washed they withheld your finishing mug. I certainly didn’t moan, my bike and gear went straight in the van where it got a proper wash when I got home. I’ve got plenty of mugs.
    That aside it was a good event, great atmosphere in the campsite and town, great support on the road, loved ZZ top and the gorilla 😁.
    Probably won’t do it again though, the course wasn’t really my cup of tea, some good bits (especially the final descent) but the fire roads killed it for me. To much like an uplift day without the uplift, constant winch and plummet. Great if thats your thing but I prefer the “big day out” type rides.

mboy
    Free Member

The guys work so hard for that event yet there were people moaning about the queue for the bike wash.

90mins I waited… Having been told I had no choice basically (I’d happily take my bike home dirty but was told wasn’t allowed!), then they did a rush job on it (still plenty of mud on it now anyway), and then 10mins after they’d washed mine (and with a queue of 100’s of people left still to get their bikes washed), they just packed it up and went home!

That was what irked… The rules were being made up as they went along. The lack of organisation (2 jet washes for what, 1200 people?) didn’t help either, but was possibly forgivable given it’s the first time they’ve had to do this, but changing the rules as they went along took the piss!

Anyway… Other than that… Some brutal climbs (as ever), not helped by the fact I’m really not bike fit at the moment, and some class rocky descents. To the guy that swerved right (right into where I was going) when I shouted “on your right” to him as I was passing on WC descent (and then continued to throw profanities at me!), “on your right” means exactly that… I am passing you on your right… Where there was a gap to do so until you decided to try to close it off! Everyone else all day was superb, and to the many that passed me on the climbs I thank you for the encouragement!

jonesyboy

Had some dick swearing that he couldn’t pass on a single track climb, he barged his way passed 4 people, then promptly fell off later on a dh section…..cock. We got stuck behind a guy on the rock climb of Tony the Tiger, eventually he pulled over (ok fell off to the side) and let us through. Followed another bunch down the rest of Tony so we just kept on backing off giving ourselves a bit of space to open up for the fun bits.

Jet wash didn’t sound ideal then, I’d guess it was a stipulation from the FC. Maybe charge a £1 next time and have more jet washes?

Top day out though, next up is the Batch Burner on the Long Mynd 😁

emac65
    Free Member

It was a great event as always 🙂 . To those bitching about the jet wash – 100’s of bikes needing to be jet washed, just how do you handle that without causing a back up ? FWIW, I waited 10-15 minutes for mine to be done, try getting a move on next time if you don’t want to stand about waiting 😉

BTW – You can still claim your cup if you email them….

taxi25
    Free Member

To those bitching about the jet wash – 100’s of bikes needing to be jet washed, just how do you handle that without causing a back up ? 

By having more than 2 jet washers???
    I appreciate they’d planned more but it didn’t happen. The situation became unreasonable quite quickly, something the organisers readily acknowledge.
    I certainly didn’t moan or bitch about it, just made an assessment and decided to put my bike straight in the van and clean it properly myself.

stevedoc
    Free Member

I really can’t believe those batching over a free jetwash and wait times, if you had used your head you may have seen the garage you all passed 700 yards from the que, three bikes washed 2quid cost and no waiting for hours on end, perhaps some people needed spoon feeding, coffee tasted good this morning in my none queing washed bike cup….

Still a great day

steve_b77
    Free Member

Probably won’t do it again though, the course wasn’t really my cup of tea, some good bits (especially the final descent) but the fire roads killed it for me.

Pretty much standard marathon styles riding, which is what the Dyfi is. It’s called Enduro for endurance riding, not rad gnarpoon winch and plummet modern Enduro.

taxi25
    Free Member

Pretty much standard marathon styles riding, which is what the Dyfi is. It’s called Enduro for endurance riding, 

Not critising the course, just that it wasn’t my kind of route. I’ve done dozens of other “marathon” events and none have been quite like the Dyfi. Probably that’s why some people love it so much. It was my first time so it’s a box ticked, but I’ll stick to the more big loop open vista X/C type events im the future.

duncancallum

Top weekend

Bike was queue was big so we went the petrol station waited 20min and bought beer from the co op. Bonus.

Never had cramp like it though.

Enjoyed Dickies went in a bit hot over the fireroad n thought I’d overcommited at one point on the jump but I got away with it.

If imagine next time the bike wash will be sorted

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’ll stick to the more big loop open vista X/C type events

You’re welcome to do whatever you want but there were some incredibly good views yesterday.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro roll call’ is closed to new replies.