Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • DX lights – who's using what? recommendations?
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

Been fair bit of talk on here about people buying high lumen DX lights from uSA. Any recommendations on which ones are the ones to buy?

mavisto
    Free Member

I have one of these Holders

And one of these Torches

Very happy using this combo as a helmet light.

z1ppy

Lots of recommendations but for me, if you want the Standard torch type:

5 Mode P7 LED Torch
    or
    2 Mode P7 LED torch

Though I find the 5 mode torch more versatile, as the low on the 2 mode is too low.
    Just to muddy the waters even more, I actually have one of these too,
    8 mode MC-E torch which I think has slightly better output, but then you have 8 mode to cycle through….

Extra parts you need for any of the above torches:
    Charger http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105
    Batteries http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790
    on and one of these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2709 to convert the charger.

I have 8 of us running a combination of these light from late last year, they are throughly reliable.

BUT if you want one of the new DX bike specific lights (3 hour capacity vs the hour per battery of the torchs above), you now have the choice of 2:

New helmet mount version:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489
    STD one, that everyone has so far bought (what I've not long ordered, as I thought I'd lost my MC-E torch)
    https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

No one has one yet to tell the difference between it and the std one, though they both look the same and you get a helmet mount for a $1 less than the original….

PS: The lights come from Hong Kong, even though the site is in US Dollars, no-one i know of has been hit for duty or VAT charges

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im considering one of the std bike lights as far as I can tell (and I know nothing about it all really) the cost saving between the std and the helmet one is in the charger. The std is 1.8A and the helmet is only 1A so the recharge times will increase (at a guess they will almost double). I can not see me ever using the light on my head but I like the faster charging incase I forget to charge it so I would go for the std.

If I do get it I will likely be selling my Hope 2 LED if its worth it. Or I may keep it as a spare.

mike_check
    Free Member

I've got one of the torches and have a bodged mount made from an old Cateye light mount and an old DMR chain guide seat tube clamp! It holds solid and still has the quick release function to so can just pop it on and off as required!

Have just ordered one of these; http://www.turboferret.co.uk/4holder.php to get a longer continuous runtime without having to swap batteries.

All in the price is similar to the bike specific light however I have possibilty of taking an extra 4/8/12 batteries out and just swapping them to double/tripple/you get it/ runtime, and a non specific battery pack/charger etc which is all individually replaceable should failure occur!

Dancake
    Free Member

I bought one of the P7 "Cycle light" kits. Turns out it is half as bright as my Mate's and I should have sent it back.

I didnt, of course so I have bought 2 constant current driver boards and 1 new LED (24 dollars) so hopefully I can fix the DX cycle light and Mod my butchered tesco head torch. Worth doing as the light is awsome at proper brightness.

*Build quality of my DX light was shocking, BTW but hey-ho

richc
    Free Member

I ordered one of these:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19189

as its far too big/heavy for a helmet torch/light, how bulky are the two you have tried zippy?

z1ppy

the two I have are about the same size as that Rich (but with a slightly smaller 'head'), but I still use them (one at a time) on my helmet, they are noticable weight wise for a number of rides, but now I don't notice it at all.
    IIRC they weigh around 300g (?), but if your worried about that, try investigating turboferrets remote battery packs for DX P7 torches, whcih would remove the batteries weight from your head.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

what bar mounts is everyone using for these DX torched?
    I've got the fenix ones here: http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/bike_mounts.html
    but is there something better?

takisawa2

SKU12060.
    Thats the one to go for.

dobo
    Free Member

300g?…

just get the magic shine bike light with battery in pocket, you wont notice its there

couple fenix torches would be a good head light/lite option but tbh the magic shine is superior and cheaper

z1ppy

just get the magic shine bike light with battery in pocket, you wont notice its there

Some of us bought these torch's last year, when the magicshine option was not available…

dobo
    Free Member

i realise that, it wasnt a dig at you or anyone, just advice to the original poster.

i got 2 fenix torches before the p7 fad which are great and lite but underpowered now but the dx bike light is a better option than both torch options imo

z1ppy

Quick retraction of that weight figure, weighed mine this morning & they weigh less than 200g… Aprox 170g

tinsy
    Free Member
    specializedneeds

The descriptions of the reflectors are different for the two bike specific DX light options. I'd be interested to know what difference this makes in practice.

29489 – textured reflector
    25149 – smooth reflector

I'm looking to helmet mount the bike light as I have a P7 torch on my bars already. I'm happy with the torch for close to medium distance so the helmet would ideally have more throw. Which option should I go for? I don't want to base my decision on the one that has the helmet mount included if the other has better throw. I'm sure I can sort a helmet mount myself.

z1ppy

being as no one has recieved a head lamp one yet, it's a bit difficult to say… I used my handlebar mounted one last night and though it wasn't that dark a night (and I was riding in a group of 5 with around 9 lights, so wasn't actually 'testing' them) I believe my P7 torch a has a better throw and the magicshine is slightly more floody.
    Happy with them on the bars and a torch on my head…

specializedneeds

When you say "no one" you mean of course no one you know or no one who has posted on here, so far. My buddy received his this morning so I'm off to check it out. Caio.

z1ppy

so has anyone seen both Magicshine LED lights (handlebar/headmount) yet and is there a difference in the 'output'?

montylikesbeer

DX and magic shine is the same kit.

There have been 3 versions.

The first one troutie ragged to bits with inner swarf issues.

Second lot were good after the fixes but the light a little yellow (still bright though)

Now this last lot, very white light and no build issues I can see from mine

Sui
    Free Member

Well i've just received my DX SKU 29489 head mount job. Didn't appear to be any swarf (although i've not taken the emitter out yet). Battery is already charged and is damn bright!

Not sure whether to use it before checking how the led is matted to the heatsink.

Just to clarify, there were issues with Heatsinking and boards 'hanging' on wires instead of being strapped down. Apparantly all of the complaints were supposed to have got through to DX and mods were done – is this a goodun'…..?

What i do know is that it's only a 3 mode and the SKU 25149 was modded to get 5 modes along with the heat sink issues. so perhaps the Headmount version is just an old version with all of the old issues….?

will let you know my thoughts later..

cookeaa

I have to admit I’m now utterly confused as to what it’s actually worth getting, my plan was to get the DX helmet mounted bike light, as it seems to include batteries and charger, had 3hrs burn time and I wanted it to supplement cheaper crappier bar mounted lights, for use on my road commuter bike for the unlit sections and on my MTB for some night time woodland action…

While the torches seem cheap, the lower burn time and fact that you have to buy a charger, Batteries, mounts, etc separately suggests they work out about as expensive as the bike kit and you still have the added faff of changing batteries if you plan to run it for more than 1hr, is their a Torch + Charger + battery kit available?

And with all of them your stuck using their “18650” batteries which cannot be charged in a normal battery charger right?

Is this a fair summary?

So for what I think I need, am I better buying the Helmet mount Bike kit or not?

grumm
    Free Member

Yes, imo.

cookeaa

just spotted the "sku.29489" helmet jobbie is listed as having a Cree emitter while the "sku.25149" is listed as having an SSC emitter, is that in any way significant?

Sui
    Free Member

i think they are all Cree, even my Helmet light kit (with charger etc) has come in and the box still says SSC (soulsemiconductors) – Candel power forums and MTBR and Troutie have done all this to death, but it is still a little confusing.

What i have now (the head mounted kit), should in theory be free from all of the defects, however i simply do not know as there is a thread on candelpower forums that the 5mode version – for the bike, is the one that is free from defects. there's only one way i'm going to find out and that is with a ride and see if i'm left navigating bat stylee…

Sui.

grumm
    Free Member

Didn't know there was a 5 mode bike specific version?

ForkingOurSouls
    Free Member

My SSCP7 bar mounted version arrived today, no duty charges. Quality looks brilliant for the money, though not finished to the same high standard as something like a Light & Motion.

It's got an orange peel reflector, will have to wait til next week to put it through its paces. Well impressed though, well worth 50 quid. Might even get the helmet one too if my Dinotte 200L feels too weak on my lid.

Edit: it has the 3 mode switch…

Sui
    Free Member

the 5 mode (as i understand) came about due to changes put forward by GeoMan (i think), that along with reccomendations for better quality control. As someone has said on the DX website (cyclist i think) take the descriptions with a pinch of salt!!!..

edited – the 5mode is the same SKU 25149 they just amended it!

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

Oh well, just ordered the bike mounted one for my lid (helmet one not in stock), should be nice with my Maxx D. 8)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘DX lights – who's using what? recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.