• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dumb question – those things for putting between the forks/stays for transit
  • hels
    Free Member

What are they called ? I have just spent 20 minutes trying to search for them on Wiggle etc, but am clearly not using the correct nomenclature. The things that fill the space and stop the frame getting bent when you have it packed for travel and the baggage handlers pile 50 suitcases on top.

I need to order some today !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Old hubs or axles.
    The plastic ones snap.
    A decent bike bag will have a rigid base where the drop outs sit.

hels
    Free Member

Hmm good point – my old hard shell bike box has kind of a frame thing – that will solve half the problem !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go to bike shop. Ask them for some. If they’re building bikes, they’ll have some. I’m sure they’ll be happy to give you some, given your regular valued custom……

Kahurangi

Frame spacers? Dropout spacers?

My travel bag came with some. Additionally, I wet to Mitre 10 (NZ’s answer to B&Q) then bought some plastic pipe the right size and cut it to size.

If you have QR dropouts, I have also seen wooden dowel cut to length then secured with a screw and washer either side work effectively.

BruceWee

I took an 8mm threaded rod cut to size and used bolts and washers to secure it in the dropouts.

Shackleton

15mm internal diameter plastic piping cut to size and held in with QR skewer, maxle (or similar) or a zip tie. Has worked for us for the last 9 years of flying with 2 bikes; cost me about a quid from the local plumbing shop and weighs chuff all!

Pick up some foam pipe lagging while you are there to use as frame protector too.

hels
    Free Member

All great advice – just to be clear, my toolkit consists of a nail file, a kitchen knife and some sellotape.

Am planning a trip to B&Q for pipe lagging. MAXLE ! That’s the thing. Will conduct a thorough search of the shed, I am sure I have one of those kicking around somewhere.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Speak to your friendly local pumptrack builders, they just got a load of new bikes so might have some of what you’re looking for.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the bike bag hels?
    In the evoc I’d call them a waste of time, same with the pipe lagging.

Rubber_Buccaneer

my toolkit consists of a nail file, a kitchen knife and some sellotape

Cut a strip of corrugated cardboard the right width (100mm front, 135mm rear or whatever) and coil it around your maxle/skewer whatever then tape it so it cant come undone. This should be plenty strong enough, just try standing on it. Can be reused again and again.

midlifecrashes

Last time I needed, I used 1×1″ timber cut to 100mm and 135mm, with screws and washers to hold in place.

nikk
    Free Member

Old broken handlebar cut to the correct width, held in place with the skewer / bolt thru.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dumb question – those things for putting between the forks/stays for transit’ is closed to new replies.