• This topic has 64 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Duke of Norfolk
  • wheelsonfire1

Duke of Norfolk, if there was ever an example of entitlement, and entitlement to ignore the law, and in particular the law’s intended to keep people safe. Here it is. Now the excitement and general curiosity over the recent death is over perhaps we can start to examine the entitlement that some of these rich, or connected people feel and perhaps challenge it? Why are they better than us?

maccruiskeen

Why are they better than us?

He evidently isnt. He made the same plea to keep his license that many people make – often successfully – and failed.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

More fool him. The law has prevailed and I doff my cap at the courts for enforcing it. May it act as a reminder to others who feel they are above the law 👍

scuttler

Story for those that missed it (me) https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/26/duke-of-norfolk-sentenced-in-private-driving-offence-national-security?amp

Hahahahaha you entitled ****. I agree that plenty of people facing a ban appeal on all sorts of questionable grounds but you can’t help thinking he suspected his involvement in recent events would get him off.

(Awaits some sort of appeal)

Cougar

Already had nine points from two prior speeding offences (so not speeding ‘a bit’), ran a red light then carved in front of a police car whilst on the phone.

🤷‍♂️

Poopscoop

He’s prime minister material surely?😉

Harry_the_Spider

Silly sod. With all that personal wealth I’m sure His Grace could employ a drive for the next few months, then he can use his phone as much as he likes.

dudeofdoom

“The application for this matter to be in camera is for reasons of national security and because details of this will be provided which have not yet been discussed with His Royal Highness, and not yet discussed with the prime minister and not yet discussed with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Yep must remember this line next time I get caught on the phone to the wife.

What’s mad is his legal representation probably cost him more than his fine.

Probably ought to buy a car with hands free, or get police outriders.

stumpyjon

With all that personal wealth I’m sure His Grace could employ a drive for the next few months

Pretty much what the judge said when throwing out the exceptional hardship argument, it has to be true financial hardship not a bit of mild inconvenience. I’m sure there’s plenty of other (probably more capable) people out there who could arrange for the king to sit in a chair whilst someone puts a crown on his head and someone else blows a trumpet.

onehundredthidiot

Because of his licence loss: “The duke, 65, said the withdrawal of his licence could be “very, very serious”, leading to the loss of jobs for up to 20 or 30 employees, such as his tractor driver, which he said “would mortify me”.”

His reasoning completely baffles me surely a man worth £100,000,000 still needs a tractor driver. Oh also, apparently impossible to employ enough people to do the driving to get him places.

scuttler

I’m sure there’s plenty of other (probably more capable) people out there who could arrange for the king to sit in a chair whilst someone puts a crown on his head and someone else blows a trumpet.

Heretic! Do you care nothing for heraldry and tradition? Trumpet dudes should play the Nokia tune.

timba
    Free Member

He organised the most significant events in his lifetime, but didn’t organise a driver?

dudeofdoom

Pretty much what the judge said when throwing out the exceptional hardship argument

Don’t think it was a judge,it’s ‘usually’ 3 upstanding citizens of the public and it’s a pretty much an open and shut case drove over a red light in front of a police car with a phone in his hand.

Would have had the lawyers to see if something wasn’t legally followed right,played the king card and in-camera which as it’s joe public was a 50/50 chance that they could have just made it go away,it wasn’t any of his chums as it wasn’t a judge so just paid a bigger fine and less loss of licence,just a bit of horse trading over the penance.

I’m sure one of the 30 people he employees would be able to run him up the bookies or there’s always Uber. The defence probably didn’t go down well as in reality it would make no difference to him and the fine was probably just the price of a good meal.

He just made himself look a numpty.

oldnpastit

The whole Royal family thing is utter baloney at this point.

dudeofdoom

That’s the giggle,if he’d just wondered in on his own and haggled the fine it would be a footnote in the papers,legal team and national security, the king etc just makes it news.

People get their licences revoked every day for this sort of thing.

scotroutes
    frankconway

What an entitled arrogant dick.

franksinatra

He already employs over 150 people so it’s not a stretch to get someone to drive him for 6 months. Luckily the court thought the same.

maccruiskeen

8,800 drivers with 12 points or more

Interesting breakdown of by age groups there – amuses me how often we have threads where forumites complain about reckless young drivers or past-it old drivers when the age group with the highest rate of point scoring is a very STW 49yrs 🙂

martinhutch

He seems like a lovely bloke.

And despite Streisand-effecting himself with his ‘national security’ schtick, lovely that the magistrates didn’t just doff caps and let him off.

jamj1974

His plea on the grounds of financial hardship is a joke.

So glad he got penalised – but not harsh enough for the offence IMHO. Using a phone and not paying attention needs more drastic penalties.

akira

Only skimmed the coverage but now he’s lost he’s not allowed to drive the world is going to end? Did I get that right?

Cougar

He organised the most significant events in his lifetime, but didn’t organise a driver?

The weird thing is, I can kind of understand a self-entitled dick thinking he’s above things like red lights and speed limits. That’s the sort of disconnect from reality I’d expect from someone who refers to his tractor driver (note, not farmer) like it’s just a normal thing that everyone has. But unless his BMW is a 3-series from the 1980s there is zero chance that it’s not absolutely dripping with Bluetooth connectivity, hands-free operation, voice control… There is absolutely no reason at all for him to have a phone pressed against his face. Even in the event that he doesn’t know how to pair it (place your bets), he could surely get one of his lickspittles to do it for him.

JAG

I was very, very pleased to see that all of his complaining got him precisely – nowhere!

The law of the land applied appropriately to an entitled twit, made my day did that :o)

cookeaa

Only skimmed the coverage but now he’s lost he’s not allowed to drive the world is going to end? Did I get that right?

Worse than that; not only will the NHS be under more pressure due to the Duke not being allowed out and about to mow down a few filthy peasants with impunity, peasants who will now carry on living and weigh down our national infrastructure even more! But Now He’ll also have to employ a pleb of some sort to drive him about, redistributing a portion of his Hard won, precious wealth like this was Soviet Russia or something!

I think the most interesting thing in all of this is that in order to get 6 points and a 6 month ban for using your mobile when driving you have to:

The Earl Marshal, 65, was stopped by police after his BMW cut across the officers’ car, going through a red light, the court was told.

The officers drove up to his car and saw he was using his mobile phone. He told the officers he was “in communication with his wife”, prosecutor Jonathan Bryan said.

On top of already having 9 points for speeding…

That actually feels a bit lenient to me as the Duke will be back out “Toad of Toad hall-ing” his way about by next summer (or is it 6 months plus however long it takes for the original 9 points to expire?) the whole “Driving Ban” thing confuses me TBH…

Cougar

His plea on the grounds of financial hardship is a joke.

The plea is Exceptional Hardship.

This crops up quite often on here and it seems to be widely misunderstood. Exceptional Hardship is considered when the loss of licence would be – here’s that word again in case we missed it – exceptionally punitive on top of the regular sentencing. For instance: without a licence they’d be sacked and their family could be potentially become homeless; or they’re primary carer for someone and have to make regular hospital visits. Generally it involves other people being affected.

Typically when a plea of exceptional hardship is accepted, the retention of licence at 12+ points would be offset with a considerably higher fine instead. It is not “getting away with it” (though of course, a higher fine would be of little consequence to someone of the Duke of Norfolk and Waypal’s wealth).

Cougar

He told the officers he was “in communication with his wife”

Christ, he even talks like a ****.

(or is it 6 months plus however long it takes for the original 9 points to expire?) the whole “Driving Ban” thing confuses me TBH…

His licence will be revoked for six months. It will come back clean, the points are considered spent with the disqualification.

martinhutch

Christ, he even talks like a ****.

I find it hard to believe that this conversation didn’t include ‘Do you know who I am?’.

johnners
    Free Member

But unless his BMW is a 3-series from the 1980s there is zero chance that it’s not absolutely dripping with Bluetooth connectivity, hands-free operation, voice control

Maybe he borrowed my 3-series from 2009?

Which has none of those things.

maccruiskeen

I think there’ll be a queue somewhere you can join.

rickmeister

Re Tractor driver, I assume its not Ted and the little grey Fergusson working 28hrs a day across a massive estate, the tractor may have Bluetooth as well…

argee

It’s a basic story, he was caught, he went to court, his lawyer put up the standard excuse and it was thrown out, this happens across the country on a daily basis, not sure why it’s turning into a them and us thread, yes he’s rich, he’s a Duke, but his legal representative is just doing the generic statement to try and keep his license, no different to Joe Bloggs doing the same because he’s self employed, or has a sick mother he has to transport around, or whatever.

He tried his luck and failed, it’d be a different story if he’d succeeded, there’s been a few who have won this type of argument who aren’t our ‘peers’ who really shouldn’t have.

martinhutch

It’s a basic story,

You missed the bit about him trying to save his blushes by getting the press thrown out of sentencing on the grounds of national security because he’s organising a posh parade.

IdleJon

not sure why it’s turning into a them and us thread

Did Mr Fitzalan-Howard use his given name, or his title, ie his privilege? Did he accept his punishment without falling back on pathetic excuses, or try and worm his way out by using his privilege?

It is an extremely peculiar situation, whereby his grace, the Duke of Norfolk, the earl marshal….

In other words, he started it. 😀

Cougar

You missed the bit about him trying to save his blushes by getting the press thrown out of sentencing on the grounds of national security because he’s organising a posh parade.

That’s not quite what happened though, is it.

maccruiskeen

Did he accept his punishment without falling back on pathetic excuses,

Everyone who gets points makes pathetic excuses of one sort or another.

argee

Did Mr Fitzalan-Howard use his given name, or his title, ie his privilege? Did he accept his punishment without falling back on pathetic excuses, or try and worm his way out by using his privilege?

He’s used a well worn excuse, same as those 8800 drivers who are on the roads with over 12 points at present, i’ve seen it used by self employed people, company owners and carers, he never used his privilege, he used his business interests to try and make the exceptional circumstances argument.

The press already know what happened, when it happened and to whom it happened, there were no blushes to be spared, the fact this is big news just now kind of argues against your point!

martinhutch

That’s not quite what happened though, is it.

You have to ask whether the magistrates really required to hear sensitive information about the coronation plans in order to form a view on sentence? You are right though, the press was already aware, but on reflection, I would suggest that the ‘name-dropping’ nature of the in camera request was probably more aimed at indirectly swaying the bench and reducing the likelihood of a ban.

‘Look how important I am, it’s a matter of national security’.

Also, bringing the likely coronation date into a discussion over a likely six-month ban would fuel speculation, rather than prevent it, which seems a little indiscreet.

MoreCashThanDash

He evidently isnt. He made the same plea to keep his license that many people make – often successfully – and failed.

This. I’m more reassured that the law dealt with him appropriately.

(He’s the uncle to a friend of a my lads, who said social mobility didn’t exist 🤣🤣)

MoreCashThanDash

And for all the justified criticism of tbe landed gentry, it seems to be the wannabe nouveau rich who are the ones in positions to **** the country over. Don’t let them distract you….ERMINE!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.