Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Duathlon training literature
  • fifeandy
    Free Member

Put this in the Bike forum as its at least half bike related.

So in an impulsive episode of idiocy, i’ve pretty much agreed to train for a LONG duathlon (Half marathon, 180km, Marathon) for summer 2018 and potentially some daft adventure race autumn 2018. Unfortunately, i’ve not run (as in going out running) for 20 years, and i’ve certainly never tried combining run/bike training.

I’ve got firm biking plans up until the end of August this year, with this potentially extending to end of October, so could start running training ~1st Dec 2017. I assume for someone bike fit enough to not be overly concerned about a 12+hr event that 7 months is plenty of time to relearn to run? Thinking a long way in advance i know, but i like my research and planning 8)

Has anyone got any good books/articles for duathlon? Or do I really want to be reading up on Ironman and replacing swim sessions with extra biking?

convert

For me your single biggest issue with be avoiding injury. As a ‘bike fit’ person it will be very easy to ramp up the distances too quickly and not allow the adaption to take place. It’s a fast route to tendonitis and ‘shin splints’ (this is not really a thing – just a catch all term for a bunch of lower leg issues).

Your second biggest issue is going to be understanding and coping with your nutritional needs – running a marathon after a 180km bike is not the same as running a marathon. Indeed biking 180km is not the same as biking 180km knowing you have to be able to run 42km when you climb off. That comes with practise and most of the IM training literature out there will be pretty much directly transposable. My pet phrase from anyone doing IM for the first time is if at any time you are out of breath your are doing it wrong.

and replacing swim sessions with extra biking?

Extra running not biking, or at least a bit of both. Classic triathlete mistake is to do too much of the thing you are already good at/ enjoy most.

After 20 years as a half reasonable triathlete my body broke and after hip surgery I have been advised running is no longer for me. I really miss it.

mogrim

What convert said, basically. Focus on the running – you can already do the bike bit. Maybe add some weight training, particularly at the beginning, and don’t underestimate the importance of rest.

One thing convert hasn’t mentioned: what’s the race like? Hilly? Flat? Asphalt? From experience these events are usually hilly and off road, if that’s the case make sure you train this aspect. If it is hilly you could also add in some long days walking/hiking, to get used to time on your feet.

You should also start to think about the equipment – a race in Scotland in September will be quite different to one in the south of France…

fifeandy
    Free Member

One thing convert hasn’t mentioned: what’s the race like? Hilly? Flat? Asphalt? From experience these events are usually hilly and off road, if that’s the case make sure you train this aspect. If it is hilly you could also add in some long days walking/hiking, to get used to time on your feet.

First run flat, bike rolling, last run mountainous
    Luckily though i’m light enough that a stiff headwind concerns me more than the climbing. Will definitely need to include some rocky/hilly trail runs though.

Your second biggest issue is going to be understanding and coping with your nutritional needs

Should be fine here with the exception that i’ll need to figure out what I can tolerate on the run as it may be different to the bike.

mogrim

Will definitely need to include some rocky/hilly trail runs though.

Walk them first. A lot of my ultra training is basically speed hiking – time on your feet.

What’s the race then? Sounds interesting…

fifeandy
    Free Member
    convert

Luckily though i’m light enough that a stiff headwind concerns me more than the climbing. .

Whilst this is true for cycling its not quite the same for running. Whilst being light is obviously a good thing for climbing in running too the muscle groups used running up hills (and downhill too) are slightly different than the flat. Stride length also changes.

mogrim

citytosummit
    coasttocoast

The first one looks good! Given the course profile and the time available I’d be looking to be able to complete a half marathon in under 4 hours (without struggling) by mid April, then focus on running on tired legs – doing a hard day’s biking on Saturday then 20-25km hilly run on Sunday, that kind of thing. Basically my race-day plan would be to run the first bit, enjoy the bike ride, and survive the marathon!

Given that I’m not sure I’d bother too much with Ironman training – the plans I’ve seen are generally race-focused and assume a relatively flat run. You’ll be walking up that mountain, and quite possibly walking down it too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’d be looking to be able to complete a half marathon in under 4 hours (without struggling) by mid April

Typo? A half marathon is only a little over 3hrs at a brisk walk.
    Assume you meant a marathon?

monde
    Free Member

One thing that I would start concentrating now on is ankle strength and flexibility as unless you have been doing a lot of hiking your ankles will be brittle and will more than likely hamper your training once you start running off road!

curto80
    Free Member

Run away now before it’s too late!

mogrim

Typo? A half marathon is only a little over 3hrs at a brisk walk.
    Assume you meant a marathon?

Yes, typo! Meant under 2 hours.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Duathlon training literature’ is closed to new replies.