Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dual Position Coil? only Sektors?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

have some solo are sektors with upgraded reboaund at the mo. they’re alright. but i would like slightly better forks eventually

old lyrics perhaps? what are the desireable options with old lyrics in terms of dampers etc? seem to have been lots of letters after the name : )

are there any others?
    would dual postion air pikes take one of those coil convertions and still have dual position, ie is the DPA business on the damper side?

not fixed on a wheel size at present. still on 26 at the mo, tho poss 26+ soon.
    about 140/150mm travel.
    what else is out there, or convertible?

Northwind

What’s your idea of better, here? You can mix and match most sektor and revelation parts, I had a Black Box Team revelation with a sektor single-position coil in for ages, awesome fork.

All old Lyriks were good, damper-wise. The standard mission control has a lockout which impairs performance but it’s easily removed and that makes it comparable to the RC2/DH variant (not identical) The 2-step air was a disaster but I doubt many of those are still left tbh, they were that bad.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks northwind. it’s 2 things. i prefer the feel of coil forks. spring rate curve makes much more sense to me, and i wouldn’t mind going to slightly thicker stantions, having unfortunately ridden a couple of pairs of pikes in the summer.

i have read that i can’t convert between coil and air sektors or go from air to coil anyways. the uppers of one are missing the groove for the circlip that would be needed for the others i think. something like that. i can’t find where i read it anymore.

i wish there was somewhere difinitive we could go for answers to such specific questions, short of hassle loco or similar. maybe he should offer a questions answered service. £5 a pop.

otherwise i could just go for a set of DPC sektors and bung in the dual flow rebound damper from my current forks. would make for a pretty decent fork, but i just still might be lusting after something posher, just because…

Northwind

Yeah, that’s right, you can go air to coil but not coil to air (at least, with the single-position coil I was messing with). TBH that’s often the case anyway, the coil tends to scratch the inside of the csu and a lot of airsprings seal against it (not all though, the old Team one was a selfcontained spring)

If you’ve got alu fork legs (which possibly all sektors are, not sure) then you can fit rev dampers. If you’re lucky you might find a damaged rev with good dampers- I needed a new compression damper for my old Teams and bought a whole fork with bad stanchions for something daft like £60, kept the dampers, sold the lowers and maxle…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

oh you can go air to coil?
    i was convinced you couldn’t.
    i have fitted a rev rebound damper. it was you who suggested it to me i think in fact. did make a good difference and am still pondering fitting a better compression damper too tho doesn’t make as much diference apparently.

still doesn’t change the fact that i’d like a higher end fork, with bigger stantions.

so are there no other dual postion coil options?

and can a pike be converted to coil and retain dual position?

legend
    Free Member

jamiesilo – Member

oh you can go air to coil?
    i was convinced you couldn’t.

If you go dual-position coil the entire assembly is self-contained in one unit all the way from the top cap to the bottom of the spring rod. You will however need a negative spring, which will go on the damper side and may drop the travel slightly depending on what you use.

A new Pike can’t be converted to dual-position coil (at the moment at least)

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks legend. this is sounding more interesting.
    for the neg spring then, i can buy as if a spare part for a set of coil sektors and slot it in on damper side? i don’t mind reducing travel slightly. when i swapped to dual-flow rebound damper it elongated it ~6mm, and is slightly too high if anything.

another queston, seeing as knowledgable folk seem to be answering : )

i have a set of old pike 454s. is it possible i could swap their lowers onto the sektors? the motivation being they are old enough to have loads of clearance at the arch for a possible 26 plus tyre. they are 140mm travel tho

jamiesilo
    Free Member

achly i think i can see on the parts diagram that the neg spring fits onto the rebound damper. this is basically only a neagive on the sense of a top out bumper i assume?
    the 2 dampers for coil and solo air are not the same so i wander how the spring fits with the damper parts? looks like some of the bits are a diferent shape to accomodate the spring…

legend
    Free Member

jamiesilo – Member

achly i think i can see on the parts diagram that the neg spring fits onto the rebound damper. this is basically only a neagive on the sense of a top out bumper i assume?

Yeah thats the one. The negative spring is available on TF Tuned as spare. We ended up replacing it with a bumper from the old air spring as wanted the travel to stay at 150mm – a bit crude but works fine.

I might even still have the wee diagram Loco provided when i bought the parts. Will have a look and try to upload later

jamiesilo
    Free Member

excellent thanks again leg end.
    just read someone else did the same with the air bumper. just means less cushy top out i guess?

highlandman
    Free Member

‘Old’ Pike 454 air U-turn does not have the circlip groove that is needed to fit a coil U-turn mechanism inside. This means you will not be able to take the guts out of a coil Sektor to fit into an old air Pike.

legend
    Free Member

jamiesilo – Member
    just read someone else did the same with the air bumper. just means less cushy top out i guess?

Yup, just something you get used to in rought 10 seconds

jamiesilo
    Free Member

thanks highland man, but it’s only the lowers i want to change. the circlip groove would be at the bottom of the spring side on the uppers no?

could i maybe swap them then?

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, that’s right; lowers alone will fit across the 32mm stanchion forks. The relevant, awkward groove is inside at the bottom end of the stanchions/sliders.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

what i suspected thanks.
    and any idea about length? lowers from a 140 fork, 150mm uppers.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i guess i’ll get both folks in one place and have them apart.
    looks like i might end up with a dual flow rebound, dual position coil 26 plus fork in the end, with possibility to upgrade compression damper in the longer term too. and without forking out for a posher fork after all.
    happy days. i like a project…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

right, i’ve just found the ‘Stupid headset question’ thread, and so i feel inspired to give this a bump, see if anyone’s got any more enlightenment to share…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

just to update this.
    turns out in the end i got a couple of full rebound damper assemblies from on-one for £5 each, so gave me the proper spring top-out bumper and also spare damper s to play about with.
    put one in with my good revelation (dual flow) rebound damper and it was all plush and lovely, but reduced my travel just a bit too much, as the whole damper was shorter, ie topped-out sooner.
    so yesterday i bunged in the standard coil rebound damper assembly. got most of my travel back but htink it’s not going to be as nice a ride.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dual Position Coil? only Sektors?’ is closed to new replies.