Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Dual ply 29er tyres?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

I can only find a Minion DHF 2.5 and nothing rear specific or in a narrower flavour? Anyone know if there are other heavily protected 29er tyres out there?

I find EXOs to frail and the sidewalls just gash and stop being able to be rub tubeless.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t think there is yet, maybe some Super Gravity Schwalbe?

They are tougher than an EXO, but not quite full dual ply tough.

tomaso
    Free Member

Its part of my consideration in buying an Enduro 29er or whether to go 650b where dual ply options abound.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I ran EXO’s on my E29, and didn’t flat them in the UK. It was a concern for me though, as I’m racing in the Alps next week & off to Whistler and doing the EWS when out there, no dual ply tyre on the rear was a bit of a concern, with no real viable alternative (along with nothing like a Magic Mary style tyre at the time).

Tyre choice is a bit limiting, even still. That said, I’ve struggled with finding dual ply’s for a 650b wheelset too, I know they are coming. But not quite just yet!

Yetiman
    Free Member

There is a beefier AM version of the WTB Vigilante that might be worth a look.

danti

The TNT version of Geax Saguaro have tough sidewalls, got a 2.2 rear which sizes up as that rather than narrower.

tomaso
    Free Member

Dual ply High Rollers are available in 650b.

I may just run a Minion DHF dul ply on the rear. I’ve run one before but they are a chunk heavier than 2.3 dual plus.

Northwind

Bontrager SE4 isn’t a dualply but is supposed to be a fit-for-downhill number.

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve looked for 29er tyres for megavalanche and ended up getting Maxxis DHF 2.5 Dual Ply. Only seem to come in 60a compound.

There’s also the On-one Chunky Monkey 2.4 which are fairly big and well protected, though probably same as an exo Maxxis

I also looked at Michelin Rock’R 2 (think they are a 2.35) which looked promising, get good reviews and come in 2 tread compounds, but probably not as burly as the 2.5 DHF.

Northwind

There’s a 3C Minion dualply as well

duff
    Free Member

I just ordered these, I did wonder if the description is wrong as I haven’t found Dual ply high rollers anywhere else.

Maxxis High Roller II 3C EXO TR 2.3 29er Tyre

Otherwise bike24 have some magic Mary super gravity I think. The choice for tough or dual ply 29er tyres is very limited.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I would hazard a guess and say description is wrong. They don’t do Dual Ply and EXO in the same tyre.

Plus a dual ply 29″ would never be under a kilo, when dual ply 26″ tyres are nearly 1.2kg 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

Old 26 inch Minions in dual ply come in at 1080 and 1250 grams for the 2.35 and 2.5 inch versions. A 29er version has got to be at least another 100g on top – gulp…

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Not quite dual ply, but Specialized do the Purgatory Grid 29er 2.3 which has tougher sidewalls than the Control versions.

chakaping
    Free Member

Next Day Tyres list the 2-ply Minions as weighing more than 1.2kg.

http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/maxxis-minion-dhf-29/295/1211

Dunno what the EXO bit on them is about though

DeeW
    Free Member

My 29″ Minion have “Exo” and “DH casing” printed on the sidewall. They weigh about 1250g. My guess is those Stif High Rollers are just standard Exo: no “DH casing” printing on the picture.

tomaso
    Free Member

Yes it is either the Magic Mary gravity or the Minion DHF dual ply for the rear.

Just need the shop to make some effort to seal the deal and I will be riding a shiny Enduro 29er with a proper tyre out back :mrgreen:

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Dual ply 29er tyres?’ is closed to new replies.