Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dry feet commute. Waterproof overshoes?
  • Kunstler

I’ve got just about everything else waterproof apart from my feet. I have some non waterproof Shimano shoes that I wear for everything – work, mtb, man-about-town and it would be nice not to have to buy any new shoes just yet.
    The solution seemed to be overshoes but where manufacturers claim waterproofness, it seems consumers who review them say not. It looks like everything is neoprne. Does no one make goretex overshoes?

aP
    Free Member

TBH goretex overshoes don’t really work that well with mtb shoes as there’s 2 big holes – one at the top, and one underneath for water to come in via. You’re better off with the neoprene bootie that at least lasts a reasonable length of time and keeps your feet warm (if moist).

vickypea
    Free Member

I have some Bontrager overshoes that are pretty waterproof and thickly lined with fleece so they are warm too. Worth every penny.

brakes
    Free Member

overshoes I’ve used on my commute tend not to last very long – the sharp bits on your shoes – buckles, cleats, grips, tend to rip holes in the neoprene or pull the stitching. the zips snap. if you walk in them the sole will wear quickly. and even then the hole in the bottom for your cleats will let in water.
    I tend to put a plastic bag on my foot instead.
    I’m currently looking at waterproof shoes – but it’s the wrong time of year to buy!

Kunstler

The hole at the top is covered by the trousers. I’m going to be in the same shoes all day for work so don’t really want them to be wet, however toasty they might be.
    Those goretex overshoes are very expensive but are kind of what I was wanting. At that price though, I might be better looking for new shoes. They would probably last longer than overshoes.

stumpy01

I’ve worn Endura MT500 overshoes in the wet for hours and the water has only just been starting to creep through. Last proper soaking was last years D2D where I did two laps in the pouring down rain (22 miles or so) and my shoes were still dry when I took the overshoes off.

Do you use SPD’s though or flats? If flats, then i imagine overshoes would get wrecked fairly quickly from the sole/pedal interface.

woody2000

Are the shoes you wear cleated or not? If not, these bonty ones might do the job:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/town-waterproof-stormshell-overshoe-ec053257

jeffl

I ran some cheap planet-x neoprene overshoes last winter. Worked pretty well but that was with a gortex lined running/hiking type shoe. The main issue before getting the overshoes was that water would go over the ankle and down into the shoe.

edlong
    Free Member

I use on-one / Planet X overshoes like these:

Linky

As someone’s posted above, neoprene plus walking about and sharp things means they will wear / tear but I’ve managed to get a pair to last a winter and a half before they fall to bits (including daily commuting) and at a tenner a go, I consider them as consumable items.

Oh yes, and they keep your shoes dry.

btw you can ignore the “was thirty quid now a tenner” thing on the website, they’re always a tenner…

bails

I’ve got Plant X neoprene ones and a heavy downpour generally leaves my feet absolutely soaked after about 15 minutes.

Warmer than wearing summer shoes without them, but not as good as winter boots (Specialized defrosters).

ransos
    Free Member

You’re better off with spds and mtb winter boots.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I assume you mean walking rather than biking.

When I lived in the US I had some “proper” rubber goloshes, they went over the work shoes and covered most of the tops too, perfect for walking in the snow and cheap.

Something like this (link)

If you really need totally waterproof footwear I’d buy something specific (even Wellies) and leave your work shoes at work. FWIW I commute on a pair of Dr M’s shoes and leave my smart ones in the office.

Kunstler

I work in outreach so I’m in different people’s houses, Uni, shops etc and cycle to each so the overshoes would just be for when I’m cycling.

I always thought that galloshes were posh wellies. I like the style of the chelsea boot ones. Not sure they are the thing though.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Sealskinz waterproof socks.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

+1 for Sealskinz socks. Your feet may get cold whilst stood in a puddle, but they WILL remain bone dry.

Your feet soon warm up in them too…

mrslow
    Free Member

I use cheap overshoes (aldi and planet x) and some mid range shimano shoes for a 17 mile commute. Works ok, but the focus is on warmer feet, rather than dry. When it pours down water gets in around the cleats. Just have some dry socks at work. The overshoes do make a big difference though.

damascus
    Free Member

Having cycled in all weather in my shimano mt90 and recently Mt91 I find they are awesome in wet weather, however, when it really poors down the water runs down my waterproof coat, down my waterproof trousers and just fills my boots.

Full mudguards do reduce the run off but you still get wet. Cant you leave a pair of shoes under your desk at work?

If money is tight make some diy ones out of an old inner tube!

edhornby

-1 for sealskinz, they get wet inside if the rain runs down your legs into them, which it does if it rains hard, they don’t drain

sleepless
    Free Member

+1 seal skin, they are long enough to sit 1?2 way up your shin, above the bottom of your over trousers, so I have never had wet puddles building up in them. do you not wear over trousers ed?

Kunstler

Sealskinz are not for me. My feet might be dry inside them but I wouldn’t want to go into people’s houses wearing sodden shoes. The Bontragers, although not the most stylish seem to be the most practical so far.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dry feet commute. Waterproof overshoes?’ is closed to new replies.