Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Drumlanrig or Mabie?…
  • slowclimb
    Free Member

As the title suggests I’m planning on going to either Mabie or Drumlanrig tomorrow, come on Singletrackworld tell me which one I should go to?!
    I noticed on the 7 Stanes site that there are diversions at Mabie, anybody know how disruptive they are?

Trekster

Takes out Elevator and the link beforehand so one of the best its!!
    After Marthrown you are diverted to the Bad Step via forest road.

Drum would be best if you are travelling a bit.

Or do both. Cafe will be closed at Mabie, only open Fri, Sat & Sun atm.

Garry_Lager

Have you ridden them before? The red route at Mabie is fairly ordinary IMO. Going from what people say on here you need to explore off the waymarked route to get a decent ride in. I think just going there and riding the red might be disappointing.

chimpymcchimp

Drumlanrig. I’ve never ridden anything like it, fantastic. Mabie is fun though, even if the resurfaced descent is a little incongruous. Diversion isn’t too bad, and there’s the skills area to play in too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Go to Drumlanrig, lot cheaper at this time of year as you won’t have to pay the normal entrance fee, just £2.

Trekster

Garry_Lager – Member
    Have you ridden them before? The red route at Mabie is fairly ordinary IMO. Going from what people say on here you need to explore off the waymarked route to get a decent ride in. I think just going there and riding the red might be disappointin

Garry that all depends on how good a rider you are, I know plenty of people who find it difficult 🙄 Agreed it is for “experienced/elite” types but for the “ordinary/weekend warrior” it is plenty hard enough.

you need to explore off the waymarked route

Just what I do most/ all of the time 😉 Join us on Sunday ❓

ChrisL

Even without diversions in place the waymarked route at Mabie is nowhere near as wonderful as Drumlanrig.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mabie is fun did it on Sat afternoon, new berms are giggle tastic!! As for the diversion you should be able to follow it and push back up the trail where you rejoin to get all of that descent in, great fun bit of trail even after the resurface.

Drumlanrig is great too but probably not as good in the wet as there are a fair few roots especially on the black. Other areas are a bit soft I seem to recall

thegman67

I was at Mabie on Sunday the diversion is pretty big and spoiled the day for us go to the Drum

banginon

Just to chip in here; there are a couple of diversions at Drumlanrig too, although they only miss out one short section of singletrack (and add in a wee bit of s/t and about a Km of fire road.

Rode round it this morning in glorious sunshine then snow then glorious sunshine again, so it’d be wise to expect any weather.

As has been mentioned it does get ‘a bit’ slippy in the wet; you’ll need to actively ‘ride light’ over the roots and definately don’t hang back, speed is your friend, if you slow down to pick your way thru you’ll end up stalled or pedalling on the roots which will spit you out sideways. You can expect the wheels be going sideways quite often, just expect it and don’t get gripped, trust your tyres and don’t use the brakes unless you have to, especially thru the roots. Have fun!!!

simonralli2
    Free Member

John

Are you riding Mabie on Sunday then? I have not got myself in gear and need to sort out unpacking my bike and finding my bike gear. Could be up for a ride on Sunday though, but obviously the last time I rode was December.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Drumlanrig it is then! I’m coming from Peebles so it’s slightly closer anyway, been to Mabie before but not for a long time. I am bad for never pedalling anywhere else when Glentress is 10 minutes away! Is the café at Drumlanrig good?

banginon

If your going tomorrow ‘everything’ at the Castle will be closed; and you’ll probably have the trails totally to yourself.

The wee cafe in Thornhill at the cross roads is good and very reasonable tho; as is the bakers. Or the wee corner cafe in Penpont has the best pies in the world if it’s open.

Usually a ride at 10:00 on saturdays tho; open to all!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I would say that the cafe at Drumlanrig is good, but then you also have the most excellent Thomas Tosh in Thornhill which is also worth a visit and is great for post-ride grub.

banginon

Thomas Tosh – excellent quality and good coffee, definitely worth a look

slowclimb
    Free Member

Cool, cheers! I’ll give it a go

Diane
    Free Member

You’ll have a ball – especially if it’s wet – take some photos! 🙂

slowclimb
    Free Member

Sickly kid off school put paid to those plans! Cheers for the advice , I’ll get there soon!

davy-g
    Free Member

@ Simon

kick off is about 10am from behind the Bike shed.. a few lads from over @ the MTBE forums will be in attendance…c ya there is you can make it..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drumlanrig is great too but probably not as good in the wet as there are a fair few roots

I’d tend to go the opposite way, As a regular, I think Drumlanrig is far better in the wet. It’s part of it’s allure.

Northwind

Drumlanrig for me, without a doubt- nothing against Mabie, I really liked it but Drumlanrig’s a bit special.

Though of course you could do both, neither is a particularily major ride.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Davy-G

Yep – I will be there! No idea how unfit I am but at least at Mabie I can either bail out or tell you guys just to crack on and I will catch up for a cuppa.

Slowclimb

I am back in Dumfries for a few weeks and not working so let me know if you fancy a ride and I may be able to join you. Hope you kid is OK though and they get well soon.

davy-g
    Free Member

my appologies to the orginal poster.. didn’t mean to hijack your thread…

Simon, I will be taking it easy as I will have done Dalbeattie on the Saturday, there will also be a beginner with us… so slow pace suits me fine…

Trekster

simonralli2 – Member
    Davy-G

Yep – I will be there! No idea how unfit I am but at least at Mabie I can either bail out or tell you guys just to crack on and I will catch up for a cuppa.

Slowclimb

I am back in Dumfries for a few weeks and not working so let me know if you fancy a ride and I may be able to join you. Hope you kid is OK though and they get well soon.

POSTED 15 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

am but at least at Mabie I can either bail out or tell you guys just to crack on

Unless I take you somewhere you might not have been 😉

Off most of next week.
    Busy Fri am tho, Red Nose spinathon @ Morrisons 🙄

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Drumlanrig or Mabie?…’ is closed to new replies.