Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)
  • Drought my a**e!
  • franki
    Free Member

I think my clothes soaked up enough water on the cycle to work this morning to solve any water shortages there may be if I was to wring them out in the right place. 😥
    Think it’s time to replace my waterproof (LOL!!!) trousers.

ourmaninthenorth

or do what we do with electricity – move it from where it’s plentiful (power stations in largely rural areas) to where it’s needed (urban areas) via some sort of national grid?

Why do you think the Elan valley was flooded to make the reservoir? To supply water to Birmingham.

wwaswas

Why do you think the Elan valley was flooded to make the reservoir?

I’ll be honest and say I had no idea that it had been…

molgrips
    Free Member

Why did you think all that water was in there?

scotsman
    Free Member

I’ve got ducks splashing around in what used to be a lawn, no lack of rainfall problem encountered in northern scotchlandshire,

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hoying it down again in Boroughbridge right now. & 2 ducks have just flown past as I’m typing!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The original post was a little tongue in cheek but I couldn’t find the appropriate emoticon!

Just crossed the Pennines twice this morning in torrential rain, reservoirs on both sides brimming so am guessing the folks of Manchester and Sheffield will have plenty of water. No need to water their gardens though, they’ll have floated off down the road.

😀

wwaswas

Why did you think all that water was in there?

I didn’t know it was (really) – up until about an hour ago I didn’t know there was an Elan Valley purposefully full of water or not 🙂

M6TTF
    Free Member

I bike can be washed with a bucket or pressure washer for a lot less water so can your car.

bollox – using a hose with a fine spray nozzle, i can wash my car in no time at all – the last time we had a hosepipe ban oop north and I washed the cars I used buckets and buckets. Just sloshing it somewhere in the vicinity that you need it is useless. In the time it took me to fill one bucket using the hose I could have sprayed the whole car

molgrips
    Free Member

up until about an hour ago I didn’t know there was an Elan Valley purposefully full of water or not

Where did you think the Elan river goes then, mm?

tracknicko
    Free Member

just been round damflask with the hound. can confirm i am in a shed load more danger of being washed away than parched to death.

crazy rain here atm.

wwaswas

Where did you think the Elan river goes then, mm?

Into a Lotus?

alex222
    Free Member

all the reservoirs round ere are proper full!

just been round damflask

Talking about reservoirs is standard fair round Sheffield. It’s actually a common ice breaker when approaching women in bars.

Though this may perhaps be why I am single.

Also TN don’t invite southerners up to get our water for free. They have all the money remember. Which can you live without for the longest money or water?

tracknicko
    Free Member

thats a good question. i was planning on selling them the buckets to be honest.

free bucket full of water with every bucket bought.

how much is a decent bucket these days? about £50?

or you can have a 29″ carbon fibre one for £50,000… that should get the STW massive onboard.

alex222
    Free Member

i’ve got some 650b titanium buckets myself perfect for drinking water around the surrey hills.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

thats a good question. i was planning on selling them the buckets to be honest.

Bad plan. For that to work they’d have to come up here, we’d be awash with southerners. 😀

Better idea – we have a lot of large postal bags, reckon we could get a couple of litres in each one – cheaper than buckets so better margin, postal charges might sting a bit.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ooh, look! Rain.

tracknicko
    Free Member

river loxley is bursting its banks up here. its a raging torrent and about 40ft wide in places.

looks fricking ace.

anyone know what the rule is on canoeing down such things? never had rapids on my door step before.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Water access is a real pain, it’s all about who owns various rights – riparian rights, fishing, landownders of the banks, etc it goes on ad nauseum. If you think it’s safe and you are a good enough paddler I’d be inclined to go for it. We really need a Kinder styleee mass trespass on our nations waterways.

tracknicko
    Free Member

that would be ace.

i should probably state that i am an inexperienced paddler, further hampered by a lack of a boaty type vessel.

reckon it would be good today though. uplifts from malin bridge to bradfield.

big old rapids, the water is proper hurtling down. no sign of any fishermen…

wwaswas

further hampered by a lack of a boaty type vessel.

where’s your bulldog spirit?

Improvise with an old bathtub or aunt.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

i should probably state that i am an inexperienced paddler, further hampered by a lack of a boaty type vessel.

Get down Lidl and buy a LiLo – about as much fun as a Kayak and a fraction of the price – suggest wearing a helmet of some sort, what with all the trees and other assorted cr4p that will be joining you.

Will pick up a copy of the Star tonight to see the pics as they drag your limp, lifeless body out of a huge stopper. 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

was considering body surfing (if that’s real thing) having watched the dog hop in and immediately be whisked away at about 40mph.

there are some big old rocks in there though, thought a boaty type object might help.

ill have a quick look round and see what bits i can cobble together.

tracknicko
    Free Member

right.

i have the plastic dog shit spade from the garden as a paddle.

boat is either the dogs bed with inflated innertubes wrapped round it (more buoyant)

or the ironing board (bit more surf tastic)

see you on the news!

swavis

Good luck sir! :salute:

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isn’t Sheffield city centre on proper flood alert. Does that mean that you will be floating past my window Trackniko ?

tracknicko
    Free Member

im up for the challenge. i think my proposed death route ultimately takes me under malin bridge and out through kelham island.

assuming i don’t die, and fit under the bridges in town… i’ll be in the fat cat supping off-tasting porters.

ciao.

ahwiles
    Free Member

watched the dog hop in and immediately be whisked away at about 40mph.

lordy.

i hope the dog’s ok?

tracknicko
    Free Member

yeh he’s only 4 months old. i beleive its called exposure training theory or something 😉

nah he loves it. water for him is almost as good as food.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Bit of proof…

Loxley in spate.

Hound asking to be let back in for another surf session.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thats not that bad at all !

tracknicko
    Free Member

isnt it? you know what its normally like down there then?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Still raining!!

Ewan
    Free Member

Personally I’m all for drought and global warming. I bloody hate rain and mud.

Routeunknown
    Free Member

The water shortages we currently have were predicted years ago and little has been done to approach the issue…. mend a few pipes here and solve some leaks there. Job done.

There has been no joined up thinking by water companies, councils, government and other stakeholders to improve the current infrastructure for many many years.

In fact a spokesperson on the news tonight was complaining that some of the water pipes had been installed 100 years ago and so it wasn’t his companies fault that they were leaking!!!

RustySpanner

Apparantly, we’ve a 27 inch rainfall deficit over the last two years.
    This month has seen a fall of two inches.

According to the nice man on Radio 4 it would need to rain from now to December, without let up, to avert another drought.

No, I don’t get it either. 😐

tracknicko
    Free Member

those figures above would surely suggest that this is a far bigger problem than they are letting us know.

seems if we genuinely did need rain for 12 months then some folks definitely should have done something about it sooner.

all very strange. maybe inflated stats to explain away the pipe ban?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know why some people appear to insist that a lot of rain over a short period has exactly the same effect as the same amount of rain over a prolonged period.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“No, I don’t get it either.”

Read above, its all to do with the water table and how it is way too low. All this rain is just running off in to the rivers and oceans and doesnt soak in to the ground. It takes time to fill up the water table.

This isnt all helped by the fact we are putting more and more hard surfaces down that prevent water soaking in to the ground.

tracknicko
    Free Member

scrub that. doesn’t matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Drought my a**e!’ is closed to new replies.