Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 11t – 36t 9 speed casette?
  • faceplanter99
    Free Member

Can you get a 9 speed casette 11t – 36t?
    I’ve just gone to a single ring on the front and wonder if you can get this combo?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I want to write no, but I’ll go for pretty sure they don’t.

11-36t is for 10 speeds

druidh
    Free Member

IIRC, 12-36 is the nearest you can get.

rOcKeTdOg

wot druidh said

MSP

Yep 12-36 but only in deore, so I wouldn’t use them on an aluminium freehub ie hope.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31059

hamishthecat
    Free Member
    druidh
    Free Member

The other way to do it is get a “nice” 11-34 cassette and the 36T cog from FRM.

Northwind

For modding a 36… I’ve heard some folks say it’s a simple swap, mine needed a bit of lathework but I was using an 11T off an XT cassette so maybe a deore one would have been plug and play.

Worked fine, with a small cage x9 rear mech and a single front ring… Shame Shimano and SRAM both decided to pretend 36T was a 10-speed USP.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The other way to do it is get a “nice” 11-34 cassette and the 36T cog from FRM.

How would that work?

druidh
    Free Member

You fit the 36T FRM cog, then the 9-speed 11-34 cassette minus the 11T cog and the lockring, and then a 12T lockring instead..

http://www.frmbike.biz/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_76&product_id=129

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Ah, that was the only way I could see of it working. But not 11-36.

Superficial
    Free Member

11-34 gives a very similar range as 12-36 though.

Just run a smaller front chainring on a standard 11-34 – or am I missing something?

philfive
    Free Member

SRAM do one It’s the PG 990.

faceplanter99
    Free Member

I’m running a 12-34 at the mo and a 34t at the front. I have found I have been spinning in the top gear downhill and could do with a bit more so 11t should do. Uphill I’ll just pedal harder and get fitter!(Or pass out!)

simonm
    Free Member

There was a guy selling Ti 11-36 9 speed on Ebay.. i bought one.. it was utter utter shite.. and I wont hold my words back.

He got a lot of flack over on US MTBR forum… and I chipped in.

Basically the big ring snapped at one of the joints after three rides, and they didnt fit free hub very well.. there is a long list of issues.

Just in case you bump into him. Lucky Nino was his name..
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenies/lucky-nino-cassettes-697237.html

Northwind

philfive- I’ve heard that said but do they actually exist? Can’t find any for sale anywhere…

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Just looked myself, hens teeth! Quite pricey but look good quality.

philfive
    Free Member

I used to have one, couldn’t find one when it came to replacing it so had to get a 34

You can have …11-39 here.

At a price and good luck finding a rear mech that will take it 🙂

You can also get a 20t 4- bolt granny ring to make for some interesting climbs.

mboy
    Free Member

You fit the 36T FRM cog, then the 9-speed 11-34 cassette minus the 11T cog and the lockring, and then a 12T lockring instead..

Would give you a 13-36 would it not, with a stupidly close 34-36 jump from 1st to 2nd gear?

Surely if you wanted to do that properly, you’d use an 11-32 cassette, which would then give you a 12-36 cassette and sensibly spaced jumps the whole way down the cassette.

Though as you can already buy a 12-36 9spd from either SRAM or Shimano, I don’t know why you’d bother!

11-36 9spd would have at least one horribly big ratio jump IMO. Just like on the Alfine hub, where you have the equivalent of an 11-34 cassette but with 8 gears, and there’s a massive gap between 5th and 6th which is really annoying!

james
    Free Member

Didnt know there were 11-36T 9spd casettes as hinted above

A (deore/HG61?) 12-36 9spd does exist, but would have less range between ratios than a 11-34 9spd casette (36/34 < 12/11)
    If you didnt mind the (2 gearish) jump from a 14T to an 11T you could not use the smallest 12T end sprocket of an 12-36T and source an 11T end sprocket and use that?
    Would be easier than trying to find a 36T sprocket that you could swap onto an 11-34T casette, though I cant see how you could do so with a ‘carrier’ (SLX/XT/XTR/PG980/PG990) type casette, only with a normal block that has a 1.5mm allen key headed bolt (though some are all rivets)
    Even then you stillh ave about a 1.5gear jump from the 30T sprocket to your 36T youve swapped onto it

“You can also get a 20t 4- bolt granny ring to make for some interesting climbs”
    Where from? Id guessed the 64?mm granny BCD meant you couldnt?
    I know theres a 20T middleburn, but thats not a 4bolt? Nor for an external BB crankset?

faceplanter99
    Free Member

Ti 11-39 casette = £220!! Ouch

edhornby

I was under the impression they stopped making them to shove folk onto the 10sp ones

Ti 11-39 casette = £220!! Ouch

Maybe, but http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42785 for steel.

What I like about Action Tec is the individually replaceable cogs. So if the 11t is worn (as is often the case) but the rest of the casette is OK, you can buy a new lease of life.

“You can also get a 20t 4- bolt granny ring to make for some interesting climbs”
    Where from? Id guessed the 64?mm granny BCD meant you couldnt?

Well Action Tec make one so it must work somehow.

Northwind

mboy – Member

11-36 9spd would have at least one horribly big ratio jump IMO.

It made a pretty trivial difference- very similiar to the difference between 11-32 and 11-34 in terms of jumps. I could feel it when I was looking for it but then, I knew where it was.

Some people prefer a closer ratio though and they’d probably dislike it- I know some folks find 11-34 too much.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Can’t you take a 9 speed deore 12-36 and just replace the 12 tooth with an 11? Not the blingiest cassette, but pretty much the only option.

james
    Free Member

“Well Action Tec make one so it must work somehow”
    Goes off to look. An extra half a gear sounds good for pedal spinning up really steep stuff on that last climb of the day

EDIT: found a steel one on there in 58mm BCD. Am thinking thats 5 bolt? 64mm being 4bolt. Cant rmemeber
    EDIT 2: found 20T 64m 4botl in titianium. Cant stomach $60/$86 though

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘11t – 36t 9 speed casette?’ is closed to new replies.