Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Drone strikes aircraft at Heathrow
  • Northwind

I want one of those little xwings tbh! But in years past it’d have been a toy remote controlled plane and nobody worried, now it’s a drone…

aracer
    Free Member

In the past you’d have needed expertise to build and fly – now anybody can pick one up for £50 in cash converters and they fly themselves

GrahamS

True, in the past it was pretty difficult to fly model aircraft, whereas some “drones” can auto-stabilise, auto-hover, auto-follow GPS routes and even land autonomously.

Even at the sub-£30 toy end of the market the technology is trickling down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They won’t cause an uncontained engine failure. Engines are designed to ingest things and fail in a safe way (sometimes they don’t fail at all) – i.e. without bits of engine flying through the passenger cabin taking out passengers

A lot of it is down to chance to be honest. I’ve seen an uncontained failure on an engine caused by a bird stike, you wouldn’t have believed a bird could have caused such damage, caused an uncontained failure (it was Air India IIRC)

However, I have also witnessed first hand a 14.4v Makita drill driver going through an engine and causing very little damage, which was because the thing was ingested through the fan blades only, and exited the by pass. Had it gone through the Compressor and into the turbine, would have been a different story indeed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Konagirl – BA2267 was due to a manufacturing defect – not FOD. Similarly QF32 was. FOD ingestion will not cause engines to ‘blow up’. The only instance I can think of where ingestion caused a passenger plane to come down was the Hudson River event and even then I don’t understand why at least one engine did not survive – to pass certification engines have to demonstrate they can ingest multiple birds and continue to generate full thrust for 5 minutes, so I guess in that case there was just way too many birds for the engines to cope with – so a pretty freak incident, considering bird strikes and FOD is pretty much a daily occurance somewhere in the world.

I’m just trying to put things into context and not suggesting that we don’t have to be vigilant and do what we can to prevent these things and stop people flying drones into airports. But aircraft and engines are pretty robust and by design have a certain inherent tolerance to things like this.

GrahamS

Birds can mess up aircraft.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=851y6F79Qtk[/video]

I’m perfectly prepared to believe that “drones” can too.

A ban on flying them near airports seems perfectly reasonable.

A ban on flying them at all would be extremely disproportionate.

Northwind

aracer – Member

In the past you’d have needed expertise to build and fly

Not really, you’ve been able to buy rtf planes and helicopters for years and people have been crashing them and using them irresponsibly all that time. They’re just getting cheap enough to be disposable/impulse buys for more people.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Birds, I imagine, have a natural survival instinct to keep away from an aircraft. Drones are being deliberately flown very near to aircraft. No doubt this is a major headache for police and CAA, there must be a huge area you can fly drones from along the take off and landing approach.

@Northwind I used to fly rc planes amd gliders and id say drones are mich more straightforward (somaccessible to idiots, cheaper too) and have gps inside so they can be accurately positioned on a flight path

konagirl
    Free Member

wobbliscott I completely agree. The air industry is very good at testing thoroughly and learning from events by being completely transparent. I was just trying to make that point that, even with very thorough testing and design, things can and do still fail (i.e. we shouldn’t be complacent).

aracer
    Free Member

you’ve been able to buy rtf planes and helicopters for years

Sure, I bought my first helicopter about 10 years ago, but that still required a lot of skill to fly – planes at the time not much less. It’s only very recently the level of skills required has dropped significantly

I’ve thought about a drone but realised it would be boring

GrahamS

Birds, I imagine, have a natural survival instinct to keep away from an aircraft.

They probably do, but see the video above.

I imagine that, regardless of self-preservation instinct, it can still be tricky to avoid a massive jet approaching at 560mph+

andytherocketeer

gps inside so they can be accurately positioned on a flight path

main use of GPS is not to make it fly a predetermined course, although I’m sure you could do exactly that if you really wanted
    GPS typically lets you either go hands-off, and it can hold itself in a fixed location, or as a return to home (that’s how and where you can pwn the cheap wifi ones! 😈 ), or to define a GPS fence (so that if you try to fly an RC craft beyond a particular area, it will turn round, which is handy for fixed wing, where default hands-off would be to continue flying neutral).

I thought that DJI were beginning to put exclusion zones in their firmware so that airports are fenced off via GPS, but maybe that only covers US off the shelf models?

Race “drones” won’t have GPS. Toys may or may not, but if they do, it’s probably only for the hold and return home features.

spekkie
    Free Member

No doubt a drone could cause some damage to a plane, but some of the birds in the vid above were biiiiig and solid!

Passenger planes only reach speeds of 500mph+ many miles above the surface of the earth – so not a big threat of a high speed impact. Military jets have a habit of flying very fast very low though – so there would be an opportunity for disaster.

Bottom line – given enough incidences, eventually all the holes in the cheese will line up and a “perfect storm” of aviation disaster will occur.

GrahamS

main use of GPS is not to make it fly a predetermined course, although I’m sure you could do exactly that if you really wanted

Yep – Phantom have the “Ground Control” app where you can plot a route using GPS waypoints and then just press a button for the drone to take off autonomously, follow that route, then return to base and land.

Watch this from about 22:25

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUlspY7fZ0s[/video]

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Wonder what the effect of spraying a smashed lithium polymer battery all over the inside of a superheated jet engine are.
    AFAIK the flame front is at about 2000 degrees and some of the surface temps of the metals are knocking on for 800-900 degrees.
    You’d also have the combustion products of the CF and the molten aluminium/copper from the circuit boards to contend with.

I’d not fancy it, toy or otherwise.

bencooper
    Free Member

how long before some terrorist idiot flys one with a small explosive device on it into a plate?

Registering drones won’t prevent this, though, unless they’re very law-abiding terrorists.

richmars

DJI have software in place that restricts where you can fly, but due to many owners complaining you can turn it off. I have a quadrotor and would fully support some form of registration.
    I also think someone (CAA,police?) need to start looking on youtube a bit more. Many videos posted there are against the current safe practices as laid out by the CAA. There’s always someone who’s seen a video and tried to copy it. You can be sure someone, right now, is thinking how cool it would be to video a jet landing at Heathrow.

Notter
    Free Member

I don’t understand how anyone can be taking the the viewpoint of “well a bird might hit a plane and we’re ok with that, so why the issues with drones / quads (or whatever your preferred nomenclature is!)?

Personally if I’m in a plane I’d prefer if nothing hit it, especially something controlled by another human being. Simple point being that it might cause a plane to come down, even a 0.0000000000001% risk is too much, and frankly any idiot flying one close to an airport should be chucked into a padded cell. Same goes for the twunts with laser pens.

MoreCashThanDash

A guy I used to ride with used to throw the chickens (already dead, I hasten to add) at the engines for testing bird strikes at Rolls Royce.

If anyone has a drone that they no longer need, I could pass it on…

konabunny
    Free Member

But dem rulz int being stuck too iz day, uvver wyze dis drone wouldn’t av it a plane innit.
    Now, I’m off to walk the Staffy and slug another Stella.

Idk why you need the mock poor person accent, there are plenty of wire-rimmed glasses-wearing RLJers and “progress makers” on here that think rules don’t apply to them

philjunior
    Free Member

turning the fuel tanks of the aircraft into the bomb with the drone being the detonator.

I think someone doesn’t understand the concept of a bomb. Fuel tanks are full of fuel, which might burn but certainly won’t explode unless mixed with lots of air (or other oxidising agent) – for instance after a large crash that might smash the plane to pieces and mix the fuel and air nicely.

Considering the number of MANPADs unaccounted for from various failed regimes across the world, the risk of drone use by terrorists doesn’t upset me too much.

I suspect that (whilst anyone using a drone on the flight path is an idiot and should be prosecuted) the risk posed by drones is comparatively low.

scotroutes

So it might not have been a drone after all. The Telegraph reports that it might have been a plastic bag…..

What damage testing is done with airliners and engines for hitting plastic bags?

Should plastic bags be licensed?

Should plastic bags be banned near airports?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Bag or not, the difference between these ‘drones’ and a bird is the fact that birds don’t carry a lithium battery onboard.

I wouldn’t like to see one on my engines ingest a lithium battery on short final.

cobrakai

Although damage to the aircraft is a valid point, one of the major factors of these things is their effect on the ability of the pilot to manage the aircraft.

The altitude where these glory toys are usually found is round about the altitudes where the pilots are at their most busy ie, on approach or on departure. The bloody things are a distraction at the busiest time of any flight.

From an ATC perspective it also takes away time from us. The pilot reports it to us, we copy down the details and pass them on to the relevant police authority. In the time it takes to do this, I could have given umpteen instructions to aircraft to make their flights more safe and efficient.

I truly believe there is a need for these things (survey/surveillance etc) but there has to be a register and a licence requirement for anything over a specific weight.

Ewan
    Free Member

Birds, I imagine, have a natural survival instinct to keep away from an aircraft.
    They probably do, but see the video above.

I imagine that, regardless of self-preservation instinct, it can still be tricky to avoid a massive jet approaching at 560mph+

Interesting one this one – it’s less clear cut than you’d think. Birds have evolved over millions of years to assume that once they’re above the tree line they don’t need to look where they’re going (other than to avoid hills and mountains) – this was a perfectly reasonable strategy until 100 years ago or so. This is why they put big orange things on power lines etc and why lots of birds hit buildings – the birds spend their time looking at the ground.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

From an ATC perspective it also takes away time from us. The pilot reports it to us, we copy down the details and pass them on to the relevant police authority. In the time it takes to do this, I could have given umpteen instructions to aircraft to make their flights more safe and efficient.

Are you ATC at Heathrow by any chance?

STATO
    Free Member

Notter – Member

Personally if I’m in a plane I’d prefer if nothing hit it, especially something controlled by another human being. Simple point being that it might cause a plane to come down, even a 0.0000000000001% risk is too much, and frankly any idiot flying one close to an airport should be chucked into a padded cell. Same goes for the twunts with laser pens.

True, but there is more chance of you having an injury in a park due to irresponsible drone use than in a plane. The perceived risk of the plane is higher as its more people injured from a single accident.

Its the same as how everyone is mortified by a bus crash but dont give 2 shits about hundreds of people dying each year in cars from drivers not paying attention.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Some people fit lithium batteries onto birds so the can be tracked by GPS when the migrate.

Aviation industry likes to think it’s good at testing and safety, but had effectively done buggeral testing of Volcanic Ash ingestion into engines prior to Eyjafjalljokull

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Was it fitted with disc brakes?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Aviation industry likes to think it’s good at testing and safety, but had effectively done buggeral testing of Volcanic Ash ingestion into engines prior to Eyjafjalljokull

That may be true, but volcanic ash is easily detectable and you can fly around it. A drone thing is not

jambalaya
    Free Member

Are you ATC at Heathrow by any chance?

As an aside ATC for Heathrow is done from Swanwick between Southampton and Portsmouth

Plastic bag is an interesting theory, do they really fly around at 5000ft ? TBH this smacks of Government trying to “reassure” plublic as they have no credible polciy responce to drones.

mt
    Free Member

What if the plastic bag had a drone in it?

midlifecrashes

Unexpected plane in bagging area.

cobrakai

I’m not ATC at Heathrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be too hard to come up with automated lasers to sit around airport perimeters.

gwaelod
    Free Member

lots of airports have automated lasers already – they aint much good at shooting down drones though.

Maybe they should have eagles instead. The bird scarer blokes often have a bird of prey with them to chase off geese…they can train em by strapping a sausage to a DJ11

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m not ATC at Heathrow.

Thanks for that.
    Been trying to sort out another nosey around the tower when I’m at work but not having much luck so far!

STATO
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Shouldn’t be too hard to come up with automated lasers to sit around airport perimeters.

Well given the strike was reported over Richmond Park, they better have good targeting, hopefully enough to be able to hit a wobbling toy drone and not an air ambulance or little jonnys kite 😀

andytherocketeer

5000ft? above Richmond Park?

I’d love to know what drone that is.
    When we fly (much larger) rockets that high you can barely see them at that altitude. No way in hell could one do line of sight control of a drone at that distance, and I’d be surprised if any even have sufficient RF range.

From the original Beeb story I’d assumed it was within the vicinity of the perimeter fence at LHR.

There was also a story about US being able to “take control” of drones. To which my answer would be “BS”. Take control, at best would be to cause a denial of service on it, to which the usual reaction would be to either cut throttle to 0, or to initiate automatic fly home.

matt_outandabout

Is it on conveyor belt?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Drone strikes aircraft at Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.