Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Driving to Morzine. Kit you NEED
  • DrRSwank
    Free Member

Just getting ready to drive to Morzine and found some odd things are required in the car. I’d expect people to know about hi-viz, warning triangle, first aid kit and bulb kit. However, I’ve been told I also need two breathalyser kits in the car!!!!

From July 1st apparently anyone driving on foreign plates in France will need these. I’ve also been warned by a mate in Switzerland that the French will be enforcing this strongly.

Not sure if it’s been done. Sorry if it has. But if it saves people a fine then its all good.

andytherocketeer

Anyone, not just those on foreign plates (afaik)

80p in French supermarkets apparently.
    Need to find some here in Germany, else I’ll pick some up in Geneva.
    Expect to pay £4 at ferry port.

One day, the EU nations might actually standardise on kit required.

nickf
    Free Member

The fine’s negligible, so don’t sweat too much. But agree, definitely better to have some of the kits in the car.

DickBarton

Car and fuel…

legend
    Free Member

I’ve been told I also need two breathalyser kits in the car!!!!

Just advisory at the moment, compulsory from November

doug_basqueMTB.com

Not true Legend, I’ve been told they’re compulsory from 1st July. All the supermarkets here are sold out and we’re expecting a big enforcement by the French police. They might even be doing roadside checks when (shock horror) it’s not really sunny and they can show off their cool sunglasses.

atlaz
    Free Member

Is a 15e fine. If people are desperate, let me know and I can probably pick a couple up locally and post them over as every petrol station has them on the counter.

Considering I got pulled over two weeks ago by French customs and the police sit by the border constantly to pick up tipsy locals going home, I wouldn’t really run the risk for a couple of euros.

kayak23

A web source yesterday…

I’ll pick one up from Halfords or something to be on the safe side but we seem to pay a premium for them round these parts.

mactheknife

Doug, me and jamie are driving out to yours on Saturday, do we need them for your side? Not coming through France. Getting off the ferry in Bilbao.

Ta. Canny wait by the way 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Breath kit is compulsory from now. But as apparently they are hard to get, there is a tolerance until november. But as foreign I wouldn’t tempt fate.
    Plus you’ll need the usual, triangle, hi-viz jacket (one per car occupant) and light deflector.

AndyP
    Free Member

the ability to happily take a dump in any layby you find, whether or not it is out of view of the road or not.

Tracey

£5.99 from Halfords, got ours yesterday

ventanarider
    Free Member

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/radar-detectors-in-france.html

Now looks like you can’t have a satnav that informs you of speed camera locations.
    Severe fines and vehicle confiscated!

saladdodger
    Free Member

please be aware that any old breath tester will not do

In france they have lower limits than here in the UK and the approved breath testers must be NF[/u] approved

I bought several from Bricomarche ( a DIY chain) for 1€ each a month ago and they were selling like crazy with the locals.

If the locals are getting em we would be stupid not to

ahwiles
    Free Member

a pillow, so you can catch an hour’s cheaky kip on the ferry/car.

air conditioning that works.

music you can sing along to/ a load of radio4 podcasts.

andytherocketeer

€4.50 for a twin pack in ADAC shops. Nice markup. Quite a bit cheaper than Halfrauds.

Oh and these things have an expiry date too. So if you go there regularly, I’d consider risking the €11 fine and maybe pick one up at Carrefour every other time you visit, if you really want to cover your ass.

flap_jack
    Free Member

hi viz jackets must be in door pockets IIRC so you can get at them before getting out of car.

counted 6 radars (2 fixed, 4 mobile) on last drive to Chamonix from Calais.

MrOvershoot

Still find the spare headlamp bulbs thing funny as most modern cars are a right pain to even get to the lamps in ideal conditions, never mind the side of the road.

Mate has a Megane and the manual say take it to a dealer to change the headlamp bulbs!

I think the Hi-Viz thing is a good idea though

andytherocketeer

Yep @ HiViz.
    Keep an old screwdriver+torch with my spare bulbs. Need philips screwdriver to remove plastic parts to access back of the FL headlamp/indicator. Minor PITA – needed to do it 3 times now. Always in Austria for some reason.

batfink
    Free Member

haribo

acehtn
    Free Member

Yeah them french cars design flaw, jack it up, remove the front wheel to access the hatch that goes to the back of the headlamp 🙂 think i watched them try to change the bulb on 5th gear.

Curious about these breathalysers, going on the price are they like the old ones, straw full of crystals and a poly bag ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

baby wipes
    deoderant
    a veritable F-ton of water. I always arrive with a stinking headache, yet to manage to avoid that.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Curious about these breathalysers, going on the price are they like the old ones, straw full of crystals and a poly bag ?

Yes they are. I’m interested as to what happens if you use it, find you are OK to drive (surely the point of the thing) and are then pulled over???

andytherocketeer

That’s presumably why they all come in a 2pack?

acehtn
    Free Member

followed Kayaks link, interesting little read. Out of stock right now, but UK source £4.99+pp for a twin pack, “as used by the french police” 🙂
    (wonders how much halfords charge)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Morzine. Kit you NEED’ is closed to new replies.