• This topic has 86 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • #Driving thread# . Main Beams in villages.
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Instead it’s buried in the settings menu on the main screen and it defaults to fully “up” (max range).

I don’t know your particular car but do the headlights auto adjust (like most xenon lights do (I think under regulations) and the manual adjust is just there for over-rides such as when towing?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Lots of sanctimonious, holier than thou nonsense on here. Of course you can use full beam in a village – any increase in visibility is a plus. Or does the possibility of slightly annoying someone who has bought a house adjacent to a road outweigh the possibility of avoiding an accident?

JP

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

OP – you should inform the police about this guy. Although he may be disgruntled about car headlights, what he is doing sounds like it may cause more harm than good (whatever “good” may be).

convert

As the OP elected to use full beams both times are you sure it was that he was objecting to? Our last house was in the village and on a rat run. Car driving through way too fast. Tbh as the village had a single tarmaced lane through it and some houses had doors straight on to the road even 30 felt too fast and I always drive sub 20 (slower if I’ve got some arse hanging off my bumper) through it. Could he have been objecting to your speed rather than your lights?

Rich_s

I don’t know your particular car but do the headlights auto adjust (like most xenon lights do (I think under regulations) and the manual adjust is just there for over-rides such as when towing?

Nah, they’re just halogens. AFAIK xenon lights must fully adjust automatically (I’ve never used them though so my understanding might be wrong) and the manual adjuster on mine is in the software presumably to save VAG about £1 worth of plastic switchery.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ll drive through a village at 30 at night with full beam on. I don’t care either. Feels safer for me when there is no Street lighting, anything that increases visibility for me is a bonus. If it annoys people in their homes then they can always get black out curtains and/or blinds

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Same. Streelights create shadows. Full beam and dip if oncoming vehicles or illuminates a person.

Those who say people in villages don’t want their houses lit up…. Are these the same kind of idiots who move near a live music venue then complain about live music? Toughen up snowflake, get some curtains.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Suspect he’s out there because of drivers going too fast. Can’t blame him if he has to put up with drivers going way above the speed limit.

kerley
    Free Member

I live in a small village and people drive down the road I am on as a cut through and always have full beam coming straight into my rear kitchen window. Can’t say it bothers me as it can be very dark as night (especially if cloudy/no moon) and it is hard to spot horses even when going slowly without full beam on. I have full beam on all the time when there is no oncoming traffic.

v8ninety

You should always be driving so as you can stop or take reasonable evasive action within the distance you can see; that’s a pretty simple and inarguable concept, surely. If your dipped beams don’t provide you with this ability, either you or your headlights are a bit shit. Absolutely no need for full beam at 30. I suspect those that say they need full beam in a thirty zone are travelling quicker than thirty; you know, because the roads are quiet, because they can see with their bright mains, etc. Also, why is it okay to dazzle a pedestrian when you wouldn’t dazzle a driver? Proper selfish behaviour.

piha
    Free Member

I would like to remind all of the awsum STW driving gods that in a village setting, a posted 30mph sign is not a target, it is the absolute limit.

If you are unable to see properly in the dark, then please slow down a little bit. Our villages aren’t race tracks or places for timed events, if you want to test your nighttime driving prowess, then go to a race track and speed with your lights blazing away to your hearts content and away from our hard working, family homes.

kerley
    Free Member

Absolutely no need for full beam at 30.

In a pitch black forest with dark coloured horses there is absolutely a need for full beam at 30. I have lived in an area with no street lights for over 20 years and it is much safer to be able to see as far ahead as possible to see horses, cows etc,. at the edge of the road.

Add the fact that most of the roads actually have a limit of 40, 30 is already going slow.

DezB
    Free Member

See, I know the OP, and he’s very calmly driven me through many a village on the way to rides or events. Not the type to go haring through a 30mph at 50 (unlike, someone else I could mention).. but I am surprised he needs to use full beam at any speed lower than 50mph. Maybe the headlights on dipped aren’t that great?
    What I will say, is there seems to be a epidemic of drivers using full beam when it’s completely unnecessary. Especially annoying when you overtake on a dual-carriageway and they dont’ dip when you’re in front.
    My theory is, it’s down to shitty headlights – the new type of LED ones may be stupidly, dazzlingly bright when you’re driving/riding towards them, but they actually don’t give you any better visibility than halogens as the driver of the vehicle with them fitted. Maybe it’s worse, and that’s why there’s the need to leave full beam on? Anyone who has used halogen bike lights prior to the LED ‘revolution’ will know it takes a lot less light power to give good visibility with the old type.
    Personally, in my old Passat, I can see completely adequately with dipped headlights, except for on winding backroads at around 50-60mph.

nickewen
    Free Member

As above, driver behaviour could be linked to the headlight type.. My car has LED and my wife’s has Xenon and I can’t ever imagine reaching for high-beam at less than 30mph through an unlit village.. in fact they’re so good I rarely reach for them at all (i.e. unlit NSL back road). However, the sharp cut-off could be an issue if you’ve just jumped from a car with good halogen headlights. (both are automatically adjusted as is the law I think? No dials in either car for manual adjustment). For some reason I think headlight washers are a legal requirement for Xenons and not LED.. not sure why. I’m rambling now.. so I’ll stop.

convert

but they actually don’t give you any better visibility than halogens as the driver of the vehicle with them fitted. Maybe it’s worse, and that’s why there’s the need to leave full beam on?

Might be something in this. My latest car has very fancy LED lights. But on dipped whilst the have a very sharp cut off in the short middle distance between some light and nothing at all whilst my old lights sort of faded away gracefully. I suspect the new ones must be good at not dazzling when I’m following someone as provided you don’t follow too close the cut off is before their car. Or it could be they give the perception of having worse throw because the near vision is so good and my eyes don’t adjust so well in the ‘binary’ rather than analogue light.

butcher

I always dip beam for cyclists, runners, pedestrians, etc. The impact on visibility is generally much greater when you don’t have a bloody great big light to shine back. Having a full-beam directed at you on an unlit road usually results in being able to see jack shit.

All he’s doing is what most people would also do in their cars and flash their lights at you.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There is no good reason not to dip your headlights when you go into an area with street lights. I would also dip main beam for pedestrians and cyclists too…lets just be nice to each other! it’s a simple act and doesn’t take much effort and is much appreciated by others. I just wish some cyclists with ultra bright Cree LED lights had the same courtesy and at least angled them down so as not to sear the retinas of oncoming car drivers. If I’m riding on an unlit road I’ll have my bright LED light helmet mounted so when cars pass I can easily angle my head away from the oncoming traffic so as not to blind them.

Though I think trying to blind back drivers who don’t bother dipping headlights is a bit of a pathetic action too. The driver has either forgotten to dip their headlights or has no intention of doing its in the first place. In either cases the act of trying to temporarily blind the driver is not only dangerous but pretty pointless. You’re not going to affect the behaviour of the driver who has no intention and if someone has just done it by accident then you’ve probably missed your opportunity, as a pedestrian its just easy not to stare directly back at the bright lights.

retro83
    Free Member

DezB

I am surprised he needs to use full beam at any speed lower than 50mph. Maybe the headlights on dipped aren’t that great?

On a car with a low front end, the cut off for lights can be shorter than the stopping distance at 40mph. I can’t recall the exact figures but it’s because of the regulations regarding the beam angle.

eta: link

garage-dweller

I usually reckon 30mph shouldn’t need head beam regardless of whether street is lit or not.

40mph is a bit more marginal depending on your car’s light quality / set up as noted yes above. Certainly when I was regularly travelling through the New Forest (mostly 40mph limits) at night I would use head beam as much as I could through the unpopulated bits.

You could just use dips the whole time but why would you handicap yourself in terms of visual range (even when well under the limit). The sooner you see something the smoother and more measured your response can be.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lots of sanctimonious, holier than thou nonsense on here.

Ooft, I recall your coffee thread, oh the irony! 🤣🤣🤣

singletrackmind

I was doing more than 30mph. It was probably 32mph . I was trying to spot a house name hence high beams . Oddball stands by the side of the road and shines his torch into drivers eyes. Fine, his choice. Not a chance he could tell, given the distance and time if I was speeding or not. In fact I doubt anyone could say a speed to within 5mph correctly, in the dark , at 50mtrs+.
    I do dip from mains to dips for runners , peds and cyclists . The point is this loon stands to attention by the side of the road and then points his torch at oncoming traffic. If he wasnt a nutjob and took his dog for a walk I could understand it perfectly, but no. He is some weirdo who has persueded his dog and his poor wife that this evenings entertainment will be imporsnating a policeman in a high viz and shining a torch back at cars who have main beam on whilst driving through what is basically an unlit village , out in the countryside with Deer, Dogs, Horses, Foxes , Badgers Runners cyclists etc all hiding in the hedges

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Lots of sanctimonious, holier than thou nonsense on here.

Ooft, I recall your coffee thread, oh the irony! 🤣🤣🤣

Big difference – I know what I’m talking about when it comes to coffee and have worked in the industry for years; I don’t believe that any of the people decrying the use of full beam in built up areas have any specific expertise other than their own prejudices.

JP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swoon.

DezB
    Free Member

a low front end, the cut off for lights can be shorter than the stopping distance at 40mph. I can’t recall the exact figures but it’s because of the regulations regarding the beam angle.

eta: link

You need an article to tell you that you can see further with full beam than dipped? Gosh.

Yak

It’s not speeding as it’s very easy to set up a community speedwatch scheme if residents think there is a problem. I know as I do a bit of speedwatch each week – not hard. Instead it sounds like someone has just had a bit of a falling-down moment over headlights in his lounge. Just dip and let it go.

DezB
    Free Member

Funny, just after posting on here last night, I drove my son home – housing estate, street lighting, 30mph roads, perfect visibilty, no risk of hitting a stray shire horse or any other equine creature… Turned into a minor road, coming towards me, a BMW with FULL BEAM on!! I’ve changed my theory from poor headlight functionality: people are idiots.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Highway code covers it simply:
    “114
    You MUST NOT
    * use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders”

Guy with the torch was obviously dazzled.

I even dip my off road bike lights when on the road with pedestrians about and even cars approaching, as they’re stupidly bright. Have had cars flash at me with bike lights on full.

As said earlier, you could just have sidelights in a lit area!
    “113
    You MUST
    * ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
    * use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
    * use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).”

Sidelights and foglights is where it’s at. No need for headlights or main beam.

“114
    You MUST NOT
    * use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226).”

That’s one that bugs me a lot. Bloody fog lights when it’s not proper foggy (or worse it’s just raining). 100m visibility it’s defined as. Not when it’s misty but you can see a mile ahead. Though my main annoyance is that many people’s cars don’t automatically turn off the fogs next time they get in the car, so they’re driving around with fog lights on for the next month.

taxi25
    Free Member

Lol at a STW driving thread. Posts alternate between full on pistonhead and walking infront of cars with a red flag !!
    But in this case it’s simple, using full beams might or might not be appropriate in an unlight village, but deliberately shinning a light into the eyes of a driver in a moving vehicle is wrong and criminal. If it’s become a habit for this guy a word with the police is needed.

DezB
    Free Member

If it’s become a habit for this guy a word with the police is needed.

Nah, just run him over. And his stupid dog.

Funny innit – all these moron car drivers love playing with their lights, full beam, fog lights all when completely unnecessary… but when it comes to actually using the flashy orange ones on each corner… Idiots, I tell ya.

jamj1974

Taxi25+1

kerley
    Free Member

Funny, just after posting on here last night, I drove my son home – housing estate, street lighting, 30mph roads, perfect visibilty, no risk of hitting a stray shire horse or any other equine creature…

Yeah, and I drove down my road at 07:00 this morning at 20mph (no street lights, cloudy sky/no moonlight) and on dipped could not safely see any horses outside of the short distance my lights illuminate
    With street lights you could drive around with side lights on and you would be able to see.

Live in an area with no street lights for 5 miles and it is a very different story. Bloody towny.

DezB
    Free Member

kerley, yesterday

retro83
    Free Member

DezB
    You need an article to tell you that you can see further with full beam than dipped? Gosh.

Isn’t there a music thread somewhere you should be spoiling?

DezB
    Free Member

Isn’t there a music thread somewhere you should be spoiling?

Isn’t there.. um, erm, nope not a clue who you are.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Lol at a STW driving thread. Posts alternate between full on pistonhead and walking infront of cars with a red flag !!
    But in this case it’s simple, using full beams might or might not be appropriate in an unlight village, but deliberately shinning a light into the eyes of a driver in a moving vehicle is wrong and criminal. If it’s become a habit for this guy, then someone needs to pull over and give him a slap!

FTFY 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

kerley, yesterday

Only on a Sunday, I don’t dress up so smartly the rest of the week.

olly2097
    Free Member

Some of you care about this full beam nonsense far too much.

I’ve learnt from this thread that I’m blind, have shite headlights and speed in 30 mph zones.

I’ll carry on not caring and carry on using full beam at night on unlit roads when there is no traffic coming the other way. The rebel that I am.

crazy-legs

I always dip beam for cyclists, runners, pedestrians, etc.

If they’re coming towards you then yes. If they’re going away from you it can actually be helpful to leave full beam on.
    A few years ago, I was on a road descent in the Chilterns going in towards London at night. Pitch dark road and behind me was a taxi. To be fair to him, he was quite patient – hung back, wasn’t trying to be pushy – but he did the thing that most drivers instinctively do when behind another vehicle which was to dip his headlights. I was towards the outer effective reach of his lights and my light was really just a “get you home” kind of thing – and I was really wishing he’d put his full beams on again. The point he’d initially come up behind me it really helped suddenly being able to see everything!

Flaperon

Isn’t it just common decency to dip your lights for pedestrians coming towards you?

If I’m running and someone doesn’t dip their lights they get the full 2000 lumens pointed into their car. Seems to work.

taxi25
    Free Member

If I’m running and someone doesn’t dip their lights they get the full 2000 lumens pointed into their car. Seems to work.

Not ideal but you could just look away, maybe stop running, instead you risk causing an accident that could injure or kill someone, including yourself, epic cool bro 😎😎😎

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘#Driving thread# . Main Beams in villages.’ is closed to new replies.