Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Dredd- rewatching. On LOUD
  • donks
    Free Member

Watched it yesterday, not bad really. Miles better than the Stallone atrocity, with his horrible little side kick.
    Liked the Chopper graffiti in one shot. Also like Lena Headey.

dudeofdoom

Hmm read 2000ad from issue 1 stopped in the 90’s then started again in the 2000’s and have reread from issue 1 🙂

The Cursed Earth would make a good movie…

I did also like the dan dare with the Flying Fortress ..

What is amazing is the way the comic seems to have grown up with the reader TBH…

I liked the Raid too…. Very energetic.

Interestingly (or not) Mrs STR’s ex is a 2000AD artist. Handsome, rich, talented, but hey – he didn’t get the girl 😉

Thought Dredd was a decent film btw

AlexSimon

As there are a lot of Dredd geeks in this thread, what graphic novel or collection should I get my 12yo as a present?

My memories are the stuff around Mean Machine Angel, Ugly, Death and just day-day Dredd stories.
    I really liked Future Shocks too.

—–
    Edit:
    Argh – reading Amazon reviews and I’ve suddenly got 4 books at £33 in my Alibris basket!
    Complete Case Files V2, V4 and V5 and Origins.

Am I being daft?

hora
    Free Member

Rewatching. It reminds me of laser quest (the set) – remember that??

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes I watched it on 4 the other night. Real shame it didn’t do big numbers at the box office. So much potential in the Dredd universe for films.

hora
    Free Member

Mrshora watched it on 4. She said its polar opposites of the 1st one that she hated (why she avoided the 2nd). If she had knoen it was Garlands (her words) she’d have watched it at the cinema. As it was she watched it all alone and enjoyed it by chance.

DezB
    Free Member

Watched it the other night. Much better than I expected. Loved the slo-mos.
    No sequel yet?

llama

Hi ex!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A real rollercoaster of a film, love it.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora – Member

Mrshora watched it on 4. She said its polar opposites of the 1st one that she hated (why she avoided the 2nd). If she had knoen it was Garlands (her words) she’d have watched it at the cinema. As it was she watched it all alone and enjoyed it by chance.

Did she really think it was a sequel after 17 years? I mean, I know the Danny Cannon film was bad but …

jimjam
    Free Member

hora – Member

Did she really think it was a sequel after 17 years? I mean, I know the Danny Cannon film was bad but …

DezB – Member

Watched it the other night. Much better than I expected. Loved the slo-mos.
    No sequel yet?

Nope. It just failed to make enough money to warrant it in the Studios eyes, although there was a lot of internet chatter, petitions etc about making one since the film did very well on DVD. Presumably everyone made the same assumption as Hora’s missus and avoided it fearing that it was a sequel to the earlier film .

hora
    Free Member

Still think Judge Lex (actor) would have made a better Dredd..

jimjam
    Free Member

hora – Member

Still think Judge Lex (actor) would have made a better Dredd..

I did think he looked the part watching it again the other night. But it’s one thing for him to have 5 mins of screen time and some zingy dialogue with Dredd and quite another for a complete unknown to carry a (relatively) big film on his own just because he has a big chin.

Depending on the tone of the film I could imagine lots of actors being a good Dredd. From a dramtic point of view Viggo Mortenson or Daniel Craig, or for a more action orientated film Jason Statham, or for something with some humour Ron Perlman would be perfect.

portlyone

Watched it a few times, best with a big sub woofer and in 3D!

johnnystorm

There won’t be a sequel as it didn’t make enough profit. The director has stated if there is a sequel he won’t be doing it and for people to stop buying the DVD to try and make it profitable as it won’t persuade the studio to change their minds.

Klunk
    Free Member

should have been a cross between the both films, art direction – makeup, chunky colourful uniforms, bikes and guns etc from the first (mean machine angel was spot on) mixed with the gritty action and dialog and Dredd being well Dredd from the second.

johnnystorm

Trust me to not click post and then come back later….

hora
    Free Member

Disagree jimjam dredd needs to be played by a non/unknown. However it’d be a big risk for a studio. Even helmeted throughout we are assured this is a known star of some degree.

IMO though Dredd should be pure character. The actor who played Lex had ‘something’.

jimjam
    Free Member

Well this debate was done to death in the early 90s. It’s a catch 22 anyway. If you cast an unknown it’ll be much harder to get a big film funded. If you cast an unknown and the film is a success, well he’s no longer an unknown…so it’s a moot point, and if it’s a success there’ll be a sequel, and then there’s no mystery as to what the actor looks like etc etc.

IMO though Dredd should be pure character. The actor who played Lex had ‘something’.

I don’t know what you mean by that. And I’m not being a sarcastic arse. If you mean a big character, or all character, then how could you discount someone like Ron Perlman?
    Either way I personally think Dredd should is the abscence of character, he’s a plot device or a mechanism for a debate on where society might go. It would take several films for any “Dredd” character to manifest itself. I think Danile Craig or similar would be excellent. Or possibly even Statham. Dredd is an ultra hardcore fascist. A completely unlikable bastard who’s only redeeming trait is that he is true to a code.

So far the original Robocop is the closest thing we’ve seen on screen to Dredd. He’s a dour, humorless, emotionless killing machine of a man who, ultimately develops something of a personality, but it’s always in conflict with his programming.,

hora
    Free Member

True

shermer75
    Free Member

Ditto above, I wish I had seen this at the cinema. Surprisingly good film!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What is forgotten is that the 2000ad Dredd was never that consistent and varied with the artist/ writer

The Urban film was a brilliant Dredd short and could have real depth and colour in the story as the plot was so simple, the soundtrack helped no end in setting the atmosphere

I can see another version with a different actor environment etc and it still being consistent with Dredd from the comic, Dredd should be the sci-fi version of James Bond

jimjam
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

What is forgotten is that the 2000ad Dredd was never that consistent and varied with the artist/ writer

Nothing unusual about comic book characters changing, most go through a constant evolution. Dredd doesn’t really change though. If Dredd appeared to be more varied than other characters it’s because writers quickly realised that Dredd himself was completely one dimensional, so they opted to write about the world around him instead, quite often using it as a metaphor for our world.

hora
    Free Member

Any news on a follow up? 🙁

Saccades
    Free Member

For some reason I have always remembered that it was Vertex that allowed himself/dressed up as Zenith to stay behind and hold back the baddies…

Loved Maniac5, guess that was always going to be a 1 off.

Not got any of the comics but loads of the graphic novels floating about.

What was the one where the fella because the God/Ruler of an alien nation for 100 years (when he would die and be replaced) that he’d been fighting for years?

colournoise

Bad Company? Although TBH can’t remember exactly how that ended.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

ABC warrior anime better

Why anime – the ABC warrior wasa about the ony decent thing in the Stallone Dredd (the Angel Gang being the other)

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I Am The Law
    this
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM[/video]
    or this
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_sRb0uQ7A[/video]

2000Ad story I’d love to see would be Strontium Dog Origins/Mutant Wars and Rage/Death of Wulf Sternhammer

Northwind

jimjam – Member

Nothing unusual about comic book characters changing, most go through a constant evolution. Dredd doesn’t really change though.

Did you miss the entire democracy arc, or something?

jimjam
    Free Member

First time around I did, yes but I bough the collection some years later. Although I do vaguely remember reading “America” when it came out 15? years ago. So excuse me if I’m a bit fuzzy on the details. I’d stick to my point though that Dredd is basically a monolithic character.

colournoise

Hasn’t a Strontium Dog film been in development limbo for years?

EDIT. Can’t find anything to suggest it is (looks like I was thinking of Rogue Trooper), but seems there’s a fan film being worked on.

Harry_the_Spider

Rogue Trooper origins story, Quartz Massacre and messy revenge?

jimjam
    Free Member

There was much rumour and speculation that the film Soldier with Kurt Russell was originally intended to be a Rogue Trooper film. Whether true or not I don’t know, it might be something that kicked off after the film once people noticed the many similarities.

Northwind

I enjoyed the film but Dredd’s basically about the big picture not the single issue story and that’s all a film’ll ever be. So, HBO series, maybe with The Pit an introduction (quite selfcontained, paints the world well, and also probably relatively cheap), and just jiggle the timeline a little so it fits before Democracy so they can do that if it takes off.

(I love that Karl Urban doesn’t just want to do another Dredd, he knows exactly which story he wants to do, Origins… Shame he doesn’t have the clout to make it happen as a star vehicle)

hora
    Free Member

Democracy as a series would be great.

I loved Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper at the time/when I was a kid but now- it doesn’t do anything. Couldn’t say I’d watch it.

Nemesis and Torquemada- the drawing skills/imagination around Torquemada would be amazing if they could recreate that?

Zenith was fantastic, mental but it’d also never make it/could be made.

Northwind

I think they could have had a go at zenith a couple of years ago when the alternative superhero thing was at its peak- kickass, heroes, etc. But maybe not so much now. And even then they’d have had to pull back from the batshit stuff I think

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Dredd- rewatching. On LOUD’ is closed to new replies.