Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Dredd- rewatching. On LOUD
  • bigdean

The judge death origin story could be done on a relativly cheep budgdet, would be a good into to wider 2000ad universe.

Would love a proper ABC Warriors film, “big jobs!” or is that the wee free men?

CountZero

Saw both Dredd films at the cinema, much preferred the second one, especially because Dredd kept his helmet on, unlike the first one where you had to see Stallone’s face, because he was, like, the star!
    Or something.
    You lot might enjoy this: http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/comics-unmasked/
    I went yesterday afternoon, before going to see Arcade Fire, and it’s absolutely brilliant, lots of original comics, and original Alan Moore scripts, artwork, and Carl Urban’s actual helmet from the movie, loads and loads of stuff.
    Good shout vis. Statham as Rogue Trooper! It hadn’t occurred to me, but he’d be ideal.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Just watched it again for the first time since the cinema, such a good film. Urban was perfect as Dredd and the ending was great. Just another day in Mega City One is how it could be summed up. For the budget they done a really good job.

It’s crying out for a sequel.

colournoise

‘America’ is the Dredd story crying out to be a film. Would need 3 or 4 prequels though to set the context strongly enough.

Northwind

Yeah, tbh I think they called that really well- people complained that Dredd was a bit simple, but nothing else was going to work. They cut the morality aspect a bit too far I think but that’s arguable.

I saw people on my brother’s comic-nerd forums, “Should have done Necropolis!” “Should have done Democracy Now!”, just ridiculous. America like you say is a relatively short story (and could be cut further) but totally hung on the surrounding plot arch, it couldn’t fly by itself. Every Dredd story’s interdependent really so even a single issue story can assume a lot of foreknowledge and unspoken background and that.

PS HBO series. You know it makes sense.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rogue trooper would be awesome (loved it).Not sure about Statham though.I thought Slaine was being made (or at least in pre production).

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Directed by Tim Burton

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This needs to happen.

Karl Urban, aka Judge Dredd himself, has been the main cheerleader for the idea of a follow-up. This week, at Chicago Comic-Con, he revealed that it could become a reality, and that it might take the form of a prequel, based on the 2006 Origins storyline by Dredd’s original creators John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. “There is a definite possibility [of a sequel],” Urban teased. “But, it is more likely that we will do the origins story with Dredd trekking through the Cursed Earth to find the first Chief Judge Fargo.”

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/sep/12/week-in-geek-judge-dredd-sequel-should-adapt-origins

digga
    Free Member

grey – Member
    ^^that’ll work, I loved Rogue Trooper

Me too, actually think it might be a role where Statham’s limited range will not be an impediment either.

I often think about Rogue Trooper – it was a close run whether that or Dredd were my favourite in 2000AD – and how so much of the ‘futuristic’ technology is now actually in use. Okay, so rifles don’t actually talk, but we have smart weaponry and HUD helmets and stuff that back in the 80’s was fantasy.

Have yet to see Dredd, as I missed it’s brief stint at our local cinema, so this is a timely reminder for me.

nemesis
    Free Member

I rewatched it the other night. I still think it could have been much better in that it could have made the whole MC1 thing of more relevance but with lower expectation second time round, I did enjoy it a good bit more. It’s just not really a Dredd film IMO – just a half decent action movie.

mogrim

I rewatched it the other night. I still think it could have been much better in that it could have made the whole MC1 thing of more relevance but with lower expectation second time round, I did enjoy it a good bit more. It’s just not really a Dredd film IMO – just a half decent action movie.

I half agree with you – the MC1 bit was really poor, there was a definite lack of budget to do that bit right. I do think it was a Dredd movie, though – the character was pretty close to what I think of as “Dredd”.

zilog6128

t’s just not really a Dredd film IMO – just a half decent action movie.

+1. With the emphasis on HALF decent 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, Dredd was Dredd but given the whole Rowdy Yates thing, he’s hardly a unique character is he? Dredd was good because of the world around him, not Dredd himself. That’s the part lacking in the film, hence my view of it.

nemesis
    Free Member

From Hora’s link

Adapting the Origins storyline in some way would make a huge amount of sense. If there is one fault with Travis and Garland’s film, it is the lack of back-story about the world Dredd inhabits. That and a failure to include some of the quirkier examples of future weirdness that regularly find their way into the pages of the comic book. Screenwriter Garland clearly felt that diving too far into the ultra-crazy world of Mega-City One would confuse all but 2000AD aficionados, and so wrote a straight-to-the-point futuristic crime thriller in the hope of fleshing out the story in later instalments.

Which kind of makes my point – it wasn’t really a Dredd film (or at least not a MC1 film), it was just a film intended to get people interested but it wasn’t really unique or good enough as an action film in itself to do that. IMO of course or I’ll be spending a few nights in the cubes.

AlexSimon

I agree – I keep meaning to go back and watch the Stallone version.
    There was a lot done well iirc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

People keep mentioning The Raid, but I thought that had some well dodgy/cheesy bits in…

nemesis
    Free Member

The Stallone version wasn’t a great film (played too much for laughs – the Urban gritty version suits it much better IMO) but they did a much better job of actually making it about MC1. Just need to bring the two together.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Speaking of Karl Urban, I was watching Chronicles of Riddick last night, I’d forgotten he was in it. Naff film but watchable nevertheless. Thandie Newton though… Pinnochio was less wooden.

nemesis
    Free Member

He’ll always be Eomer to me…

Northwind

I like how much of a fanboi Urban is. It’s not like “maybe we’ll do an origin story”, it’s “We should do Origins”. Maybe unsaid is “and if I do another kick ass Dredd, maybe everyone will forget how awful I was in Star Trek”

nemesis – Member

they did a much better job of actually making it about MC1.

Yep, totally agree with that, some of the individual scenes are still a comic lover’s wet dream. Not just the look but a lot of the tone. Shame you couldn’t set Urban’s Dredd in Stallone’s MC1.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Stallone film- Utter shite, but Hammerstein and the Angel Gang were awesome.
    The Urban film – pretty good, but when Dredd says THE WORDS – +10 for delivery there

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Thandie Newton though… Pinnochio was less wooden

but which one is better to look at?

hora
    Free Member

TBH – if they made another Dredd film and it was half-arsed I’d still be happy. My childhood imagination was filled with 2000ad’s creations and ideas. Marvel etc etc- Spiderman, batman etc have all been wrung to death ffs. Sick of those films. How many more variants on the exact same theme can they do on a new film yet people still go and see?

2000ad have such great material which will never be tapped in comparison.

So Dredd- I salute you! 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

Nemesis (and Torquemada if you insist) FTW 🙂

Beagleboy

Dunno if it’s been mentioned already, but do you guys remember a film (late 80’s maybe early 90’s) called Hardware?

It was based on a 2000AD, ‘Tharg’s Future Shocks’ story about an artist bringing a deactivated ABC warrior home to work on it as a sculpture. It didn’t end well for her in the comic, can’t recall much about the film other than Lemmy from Motorhead having a cameo!

B. 😀

AlexSimon

Sounds interesting Beagleboy
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hardware/

Trailer voiceover had me laughing.

wilko1999
    Free Member

The Stallone film had Hammerstein (albeit minus hammer hand) and Mean Angel, it wasn’t all bad. (EDIT just noticed someone already said that) Really looking forward to seeing the latest version. Would love to see a film version of Judgement on Gotham

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s ok, I would rather re watch The Raid though. Way better action scenes and soundtrack. The girl in Dredd is obscenely hot though.

digga
    Free Member

Beagleboy – Member
    Dunno if it’s been mentioned already, but do you guys remember a film (late 80’s maybe early 90’s) called Hardware?

Vaguely.

Was there a Ministry tune in the soundtrack?

Edit: Yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1O7_rqevTQ

portlyone

Didn’t Urban say recently he wanted Judge Death?

hora
    Free Member

The soundtrack is bangon.

bigdean

Just watched it again. Has it made more in DVD sales than the cinema?
    A judge death story would be great, ABC warrior anime better.

Russell96

Agree Death would be good as would the Cursed Earth or the Apocalypse War

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Seen this?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-QcTCnwiW0[/video]

squirrelking
    Free Member

I just read through this and my first thought was ‘Apocalypse War’, not sure how well it would work though. My vote would be for a Death movie as it could use already introduced characters (moar Olivia Thirlby plz)and possibly arc out on it’s own (Boyhood of a Superfiend would be a great origins movie). Chopper would be a bit tenuous but you did see a tag in Dredd.

Does anyone else have the Radio 1 mini series CD’s? Got them both as a kid and loved them, what started me on 2000ad. Seem like hens teeth to find now, finally have something considered a classic AND in great shape!

ABC Warriors would be my next preferred option though it would need to get the balance right between brutally horrific (Blackblood, Mek-Quake) and utterly ludicrous (Deadlock, Pineapples). If it did though it would be utter gold.

jimmy

ABC warriors would be great if done well, as in gritty and brutal.

I collected 2000ad for a year or 2 early 90’s but got rid of them when moving house. I kept collecting for a 20 or so episode story which I thought was called judgement day about all dead coming bbc ask to life under control of some arch villain who clearly Dredd had to destroy but not before being banished to the bad land himself… That maybe sounds like the Stallone version, but it was a wee bit more epic than that (at least as an early teen it was)

mmannerr

The later Dredd film really shows that you can do (fairly) faithful film adaptation of a comic and also why you should’t do that. 🙂
    Fans are commenting about the lacking details and not initiated are wondering about missing explanations.

Still I hope that filmmakers can makefilms which do not explain everything for average viewers.

Northwind

jimmy – Member

I kept collecting for a 20 or so episode story which I thought was called judgement day about all dead coming bbc ask to life under control of some arch villain who clearly Dredd had to destroy but not before being banished to the bad land himself…

Sounds half like judgement day (dead coming to life) and half like Necropolis (which started with Dredd in the cursed earth after Dead Man)

GregMay
    Free Member

Happened to watch this again on Friday evening – what a blooming excellent film. It’s in between what I’d want and what others would understand. But as others pointed out, it feels like a short prog series, so good IMO.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Dredd- rewatching. On LOUD’ is closed to new replies.