• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Double Glazing – Any particular manufacturers
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

We really need to replace the current rotten wooden framed windows with some nice efficient double glazing. We will find a local company as apposed to any of the big national companies, I was just wondering for any general advice regards the units, frames & specific manufacturers.

I know from about 15 years ago the rehau and spectus were 2 of the big brands.

I presume that UPVC is much cheaper than wooden windows, I think we will be limited by cost to have to fit UPVC despite hating them, although I won’t miss painting the window frames.

jonba
    Free Member

I can tell you what we did…

talk to Everest – laugh at their prices (£60k), wait for a discount (£40k), laugh again, wait for another discount and consider it (£25k).

talk to a builder – realise he is still £10k cheaper than Everest’s best effort.

We got our frames made up through the builder at a local woodwork place. I met the carpenter/joiner and discussed options. I specified treated (so even if the paint fails they won’t rot) hardwood that would be supplied manufactured and painted by them.

They measured up, built the frames, dismantled the frames, sprayed them (2k paint so I’m expecting 10years before a recoat), rebuilt the frames and fitted them. Builder then replastered etc.

We specified the glass ourselves from Pilkington. There is a vast amount of info available on their websites and on energy efficiency sites. WE specified K-glass with an extra coating to increase thermal efficiency. We looked at argon filling but it was £££ and can be unreliable. We went with warm edge spacer bars over standard metal.

There was a bit of leg work and plenty of reading involved. But we were spending about £1k per window and we have 15 of them (sash).

Our builder was very good and gave us the confidence and advice we needed to guide us through the options. our victorian house isn’t standard so off the shelf units wouldn’t have fitted properly so each window was made for each space. We used a lot of the info available from the likes of Everest to help us spec our windows. We looked at what they offered and basically matched the better stuff.

We never considered UPVC but we did look at restoration which was typically 2-300 per window and included replacing rotten wood, sanding and painting so they all opened and closed freely and fitting proper hidden draught exclusion.

Our house is much quieter now and significantly warmer.

footflaps

I went for uPVC sash from Anglian Windows. Had them all fitted about 12 years ago – still all in pristine condition, no fading or yellowing of uPVC, all catches etc working fine. Very happy with them.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Don’t need sash windows just regular windows although we do have 1 bay window upstairs that will need some outside cladding probably in real wood.

Thanks for the advice is their much difference between different UPVC frames in terms of thermal properties, cold spots, sealing etc. Hinges and handles are fairly easy to asses quality from samples etc.

footflaps

Thanks for the advice is their much difference between different UPVC frames in terms of thermal properties, cold spots, sealing etc. Hinges and handles are fairly easy to asses quality from samples etc.

There is a big difference between the cheapest and the expensive ones. I had a builder put a cheap one, from a local supplier, in my bathroom and it’s been nothing but trouble, plus the wind gets in around the glass unit as it doesn’t fit that well. Huge difference when compared with the Anglian Sash windows which were about £800 each verses £100 for the bathroom window.

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunster House were the best we found on price and the windows are still fine six years later.

They manufactured and delivered we did the fitting with some help.

mrmo
    Free Member

There is a big difference between the cheapest and the expensive ones. I had a builder put a cheap one, from a local supplier, in my bathroom and it’s been nothing but trouble, plus the wind gets in around the glass unit as it doesn’t fit that well. Huge difference when compared with the Anglian Sash windows which were about £800 each verses £100 for the bathroom window.

no disrespect but that is b******s

what do you think anglian use? the difference is the fitter, a good fitter will do a good job a bad fitter will do a bad job, who employs them is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with how much the windows cost, hence why anglian, everest etc can offer huge discounts. They over inflate the prices to begin with. Get recommendations for a fitter not a company they count far more than anyother detail.

Coyote
    Free Member

Don’t know where you are but we used Fairview who are based in Widnes and have been very happy.

Do not under any circumstances use Safestyle. Rubbish.

canny1
    Free Member

Be wary of the Anglian Windows conmen salesmen.

‘got to keep the finance going for 12 months to get the discount etc’

Initial quote £30k+ got down to £15k, slightly less than both neighbours paid. Cash price £17k, finance £14400, didn’t need finance but took it anyway. Salesman kept telling us we had to keep finance going for 12months but if we did we would only pay £15k in total. At 20% odd APR those claims were lies. Paid it off asap.
    Then it took 5 months(and about 5 visits) to cure a cpl of snags, one leak, one bubble in glass and a couple of scratches. They first tried to polish out then admitted defeat and ordered replacement glass.
    Paying on finance i had effectively paid in full upfront so had no leverage to get them to resolve issues

packer
    Free Member

Be wary of the Anglian Windows conmen salesmen.

Same goes for Crystal (the people who operate in Homebase and places like that).

a good fitter will do a good job a bad fitter will do a bad job

This is definitely true – you need a good fitter.
    However there is definitely a wide range of qualities of upvc windows available from different manufacturers/suppliers, some of which are excellent and others which are terrible.
    As with most things you get what you pay for.

packer
    Free Member

Where abouts in the country are you by the way?

footflaps

what do you think anglian use? the difference is the fitter

Er, the fitter didn’t design the windows, hinges, locking mechanism, all of which are far superior on the Anglian ones than the cheapo local ones. Yes the glass unit could have been fitted better, but with Anglian it came factory installed and perfectly sealed, rather than held in with a bit of flexible rubber strip you can pull out with pliers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Currently building a mixing plant for hl plastics, their profile range is called liniar, they are one of the big manufacturers. Also look for companies using Eurocell profile. Both very good systems.

wafty
    Free Member

I used to sell Anglian stuff, so could tell a few stories etc, the product is excellent but that said there are comparable manufacturers out here now too. Check out Duraflex for one.

mrmo
    Free Member

Er, the fitter didn’t design the windows, hinges, locking mechanism, all of which are far superior on the Anglian ones than the cheapo local ones.

I will agree to a point, but who measured up the windows? who ensured they were a good fit, that gaps were sealed etc. I used to work for a anglian supplier so am aware of the mark up on some bits!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Double Glazing – Any particular manufacturers’ is closed to new replies.