• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by accu.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Don't the mag editors like hardtails?
  • prezet
    Free Member

Is it me, or do the mag editors bag hardtails…?

Didn’t think much about it until I read STW’s fresh good’s section today which states:

“They may not be the fastest or the smartest but a good example gets you right down to the visceral pleasures… Although most of the office seems to be bouncing along on big-ish trail bikes”

Not quite sure what they mean about them not being the ‘smartest’… as in looks? or in tech? And why does the editor have to mention everyone in the office rides a full bounce?

Reminded me of the Dirt hardtail edition a couple of years ago, in which I the editors intro basically bad mouthed HT’s and couldn’t understand why we weren’t all on short travel full bouncers.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That dirt hardtail edition was the best edition that they did.

brant
    Free Member

That dirt hardtail edition was the best edition that they did.

changed my life, that issue. Ace.

mintimperial

That dirt hardtail edition

Which issue would that be then? Interested to read it, as a bit of newcomer…

TooTall
    Free Member

You take note of what magazine editors write?

😡

brant
    Free Member

Which issue would that be then? Interested to read it, as a bit of newcomer…

About 3yrs ago now I think. I was at on-one at the time.

mintimperial

This one?

“Bike test – Alpine hardtails

It’s an unapologetically British thing to ride a hardtail with a big fork. Ben looks at three from Dialled Bikes, DMR and Orange.”

TheBrick
    Free Member

Most cycling magazines seems targeted at 15 yearolds or middle aged slightly overweight “professionals” looking for the new golf so they can have a new game of boys toys ****-off while they ride in a largely uncontrolled manor round some spoon feeding trail centre.

Being poor, slim, physically fit and Freelance (unemployed), I can of course look down on these people while I **** myself off to a picture of myself taken with my web-camera which I have photochopped to have the head of Brian Adams from the safety of my internet thrown.

Hey it’s Friday and I deserve it.

jameso

i read that issue of Dirt and then went to the garage and re-built my old, cracked 98 chameleon with Z1s and XC 1×9, just for a razz down memory lane. stuck the post up and rode for a few hours, bit of DH-lite ragging then home for tea before it properly broke. it was a ripper too, that bike.

nothing’s changed that much really. great feature.

mintimperial

Oh hang on, you mean Dirt the magazine, not some issue of ST, I see. D’oh. Now I feel stupid… 🙄

prezet
    Free Member

Yeah was a Dirt issue – was a great one too. I still have a read through that one now and again.

I remember the dude with the ‘do it all’ Curtis – beautifully made, and he used it for everything from the daily commute through London, to summer trips to the Alps.

ampthill

I get the impression that lots of mag staff usually ride FS bikes, unless specifically testing a hardtail.

I of course don’t know why but I think the cost of FS is probably less of an issue to them.

It would seem unlikely that you would choose a career in MTB journalisim if you didn’t have some intrest in the whole latest product thing. This intrest is of course fueled by lots of enthusuatic and skilled marketing types, bearing free goods. I don’t see that as cycnical or negative. Magazines are part of the cyling industry

ac282

How often do magazine staff keep bikes long enough to need to service the bearings and shock?

If it wasn’t for servicing I wouldn’t ride a hardtail at all.

alpin
    Free Member

would also be interested in that Dirt issue…. can’t find anything on their site.

i actually thought that the UK mag staff rode a reasonably high proportion of hardtails compared to what you see in european MTB mags. i seem to remember that a fair few of the ST staff had HT intheir long term ride feature.

james
    Free Member

Dirt Issue 73, March 2008 it says, Might have a reread

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m not sure how a magazine editors views should have any influence over your enjoyment of riding your bike.

solamanda
    Free Member

I used to like hardtails. For any proper terrain I still always will ride a full suspension bike.

As for maintenance. Most people make a much bigger deal because they’re not confident at bearing changes themselves. Try doing a rear end pivot/linkage change on a motorbike, you’ll never moan about a bicycle suspension system again!

accu
    Free Member

that dirt hardtail edition issue ..brilliant..
    still on my table now and then

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Don't the mag editors like hardtails?’ is closed to new replies.