Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Don't normally do this – Tough, grippy 2.1 -2.2 29er tire?
  • scandal42
    Free Member

So I have limited rear clearance, was running a non TNT Geax Gato 2.35 which just fit but the TNT version I purchased rubs very slightly.

I’m after a rear tyre that will handle rocks and winter conditions but no larger than 2.2

I want to run tubless and not worry about sidewalls flexing too much.

Any recommendations?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Maxxis beaver

jimw
    Free Member

I have used a 2.1 Maxis Ignitor for the past couple of years as a winter rear tyre on both the Canyon FS and Cotic 29 hardtail. Pleased with the predictability and grip. Not as winter specific as the beaver though. Can be bought in TLR and full tubeless varieties (LUST). I have used the TLR version

spev

I’ve been using Onza Ibex in the FRC120 casing, admittedly in a 2.4 but the do a 2.25. Easy to set up tubeless, very grippy and quite fast rolling all things considered

http://www.onzatires.com/21-1-IBEX.html

sillyoldman

2.2 Conti Trail King Protection, or the new Apex Protection version if you like a bit more sidewall support.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m running Hutchinson Toro front and rear with lots of space in my Spearfish frame, they are superb and great value from Acycles, have just got a new Hutchinson Python 2 to try on the rear.
    I run them tubeless on WTB sti 23 rims with no issues.

Clink

Grid Control version of Specialized Ground Control? Comes in 2.1 and 2.3 but the 2.3 is narrow for size. Very easy tubeless, good all-rounder and cheap.

welshfarmer

Another one here who likes a beaver when it gets wet and slippy out back

deanfbm
    Free Member

Just stuck a pair of these on –

http://www.merlincycles.com/continental-mountain-king-mk2-protection-folding-mtb-tyre-29-71327.html

Great price for what they are.

OBVS not as grippy or anywhere near as big as the minion 2.3 combo i was on, but loads faster, a chunk lighter but has been adequete in local woodland singletrack and trailcentre stuff, which has been quite wet in spot recently.

Tubeless really well.

nuke

Smorgasbord… cheap, tough and with decent sidewalls making it a good tubeless tyre

Stoner
    Free Member

huge fan of ignitors although now run 650b+ because I can.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Don't normally do this – Tough, grippy 2.1 -2.2 29er tire?’ is closed to new replies.