Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dolgellau – what/ where to ride/ eat?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’m staying in a B&B Fri & Sat so as I can be at CYB on Sunday for the frostbite event. I’m after somewhere to ride on Saturday and some here to eat in the evening. I was thinking maybe the Climachx trail and then I remembered that Cadir Idris is close buy…is there a route to the top and back down again? Is it worth doing? Anything else?

kayak23

Cadair was fun when I did it. Easy route to the top(easy to navigate, not so much to pedal), starting on a road past a farm (watch out for the dogs) and much of it decent track.

We were straight up and down the same track. Great fun and nice to get up there but there may be funerer descents.

Dolly didn’t have a massive choice to eat when I’ve been, but ok. There’s a decent pub tucked away on the left corner just as you drive in to the main bit.

trout
    Free Member

Hows about the Pont Scethin route here

Pont Scethin

breninbeener

Antur Stiniog!

coatesy
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a bit of a drive, The Last Inn, Barmouth (opposite the railway bridge on the harbour) is a good place to eat, nice surroundings, friendly staff, good food, and not particularly expensive either.

cyclelife
    Free Member

+1 for the Last Inn – avoid the George III, food and service is shite!

deadkenny
    Free Member

For food in Dolgellau itself there’s Y Sospan (very good), a curry house and takeaway and that’s about it.

There was a hotel with restaurant but when we looked there were people in it eating but the place was locked up and couldn’t get in. I assumed it was a “local hotel for local people” (but in Welsh) kind of thing.

markshires
    Free Member

When we stopped in Dolgellau we ate at a steak house called the Gatehouse or something like that, it was pretty good. It was at the back of the big car park if that helps?

faustus

I’d choose Cadair Idris or Pont Scethin as both are great natural rides, close to Dolgellau, and worth the effort. Reminds you that Wales is so much more than trail centres.

Food – Co-op sandwich?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

George III, food and service is shite!

…which is a shame as it used to be ace.

For a truely 1983 experience, then it has to be the Lemon Grass in Dolly. Food can he highly variable depending on who’s cooking when you happen to go!

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I should be there this weekend with some friends for Antifreeze.Cadir Idris is definitely worth doing but I don’t think I would choose to do it if the current weather forecast(heavy rain and 26mph winds) are proven to be true,save it to enjoy for a nice day.Not sure where we are riding yet Saturday -probably a toss up between CYB(I’m ‘guessing’ they won’t be using Tarw for Antifreeze) ,Climachx and Penmachno(40 min drive but worth it) or combination of them .

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dolgellau – what/ where to ride/ eat?’ is closed to new replies.