Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Doing a 10k obstacle/mud run….. I can't run to save my life
  • womble72
    Free Member

So I’m guessing you will all be thinking im here asking for training advice and what’s the best way for an unfit fat see you next Tuesday who cannot run up the stairs without medical assistance, to prepare for such an event. What I’m actually here for is to tell you that the event is tomorrow, I haven’t trained and I’m probably going to die. I’ve re-written my will to ensure my bikes go to a good home.

As I will be crossing rivers and mud pits etc, what’s the best method to cleaning trail shoes? (So the wife can donate them to charity after I’m 6ft under)

ElShalimo

Her tears should remove any muddy deposits

tomcrow99

Depending on how many other people are in the race, its nothing like running a 10k. You will spend a lot of time queuing for the obstacles etc (in my experience)so you get loads of time to get your breath back. I did the mens health survival of the fittest last year and did loads of training on stairs etc, but it was a waste as you couldn’t run up any of the steps due to the sheer volume of people. I also ran as a group and therefore only went as fast as the slowest member. Good craic though.

shadowrider
    Free Member

A work colleague ran the mudrunner 2 weeks ago with no training, he isn’t the healthiest of people but he finished it. He was off work for 2 days after because he couldn’t bend his legs. If it is Wolfrun that you are doing then you will be ok, it’s tough but it won’t kill you, it will hurt but you’ll live.

womble72
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the Wolf Run. TBH I’m only doing it as a family thing so it won’t be anything too serious and not interested in times/finishing positions. Kinda hoping it will kick start me into getting back on the bike and exercising. Lost my mojo for all things 2 wheeled and dirty and it’s been months since I last went for a ride.

bamboo
    Free Member

I’ll also be doing it tomorrow – what time is your starting slot? Ours is 11:10.

hooli

It seems the most important rule of these events is to ensure you wear the tough mudder t-shirt everywhere you and go and work it into every conversation you have for the next 2 years.

For added kudos, you need a calf tattoo of tough mudder with the dates you completed these “life changing events” listed underneath.

somouk
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, 10k is nothing and it’s about the team work and completing it not the time. Walk as much as you need to and have a pop at every obstacle a couple of times.

As for cleaning your trainers, I threw mine away after TM the other week, just not worth saving!

bedmaker

You don’t actually need to run though do you? Surely you just smear mud on your face and post the pic on facebook… to prove it hapened.
    And maybe another one of yourself drinkong a crap pint from a plastic cup.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tra8ners straight in a bucket of water a slosh them about 5o remove as much mud as possible.

Then wrap them loosely in a towel and place in a pillowcase

Chuck in a washing machine.

Sorted.

soobalias
    Free Member

joshvegas knows his stuff.

so does bedmaker.

Im doing 6miles off road at lunchtime, i didnt shave this morning, will wipe some mud on my forehead and selfie it. No pint of pish tho, as i have to be back at my desk within the hour. Will drink proper beer from a glass later.

have fun.

womble72
    Free Member

11:40am is my start time. Thanks for all the photo/tatoo tips (and the trainer washing ones too) I shall honour this ‘life changing’ event and have a beer afterwards (if I make it)

Speeder

You’ll be fine. I did Mud Runner in the summer as part of a friend’s 40th celebrations and while I started some training 2 months ahead it took me a week to realise I wasn’t conditioned to running and gave up after 3 runs because it hurt too much.

I did the 10k round Eastnor in a bit over a couple of hours with some long stops while my team mates got patched up and I didn’t die.

Only advice would be to use some spiky shoes as the extra grip means you can just power past people both up and down hill (not sure I’d recommend the footy boots though as they’re a bit of a killer on your feet).

Just go at a pace you’re comfortable with and you’ll be fine.

Gaz

womble72
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’ll be ‘powering past people’ tomorrow 😀

McHamish
    Free Member

I did Tough Mudder last weekend…don’t worry they make it sound harder than it is. It’s promoted as “the toughest event on the planet”…which it’s obviously not as fat people and old ladies do it.

If I run the same distance at my usual road pace I’m usually thrashed at the end – with Tough Mudder I felt fine, hardly broke a sweat really.

You run a little for 0.5 – 1 km, then wait for your turn to do an obstacle, then wait for your mates to do same obstacle…have a laugh a bit…then toddle off to the next obstacle which was 0.5 – 1 km away.

You’ll be fine…it’s a laugh rather than a challenging epic sports event. People puff and pant as they walk the course…we were jogging past chatting…I don’t think some people really train heavily or get fit for these things anyway.

Only advice would be to use some spiky shoes as the extra grip means you can just power past people both up and down hill (not sure I’d recommend the footy boots though as they’re a bit of a killer on your feet).

You could try doing this, but with Tough Mudder you’re likely to have to stand on people…apparently if you’re caught wearing spikes you’re banned from participating again.

freeagent
    Free Member

It seems the most important rule of these events is to ensure you wear the tough mudder t-shirt everywhere you and go and work it into every conversation you have for the next 2 years.

For added kudos, you need a calf tattoo of tough mudder with the dates you completed these “life changing events” listed underneath.

I thought your comment about the tattoo was a joke until I looked at their website..
    I can’t believe people would have a tattoo to commemorate jogging 10k and climbing over a few obstacles.. I can see why people do it for the Ironman and stuff but not a 10k run…

ant77
    Free Member

I did the Tough Mudder last week as well… Good laugh, sun came out just as we were crossing the line which was ideal to keep us warm as we supped ginger beer and watched people get electrocuted and fall in the mud…

Don’t understand people that throw away their shoes though. Are they really that bad? I do a bit of trail running, mainly over and through what I ride a bike on and each time I do my shoes are in a similar state to Saturday afternoon…

As people have said. It’s a bit of a jog/walk (there were a lot of people walking) until you get to an obstacle, then you struggle and laugh through it with everyone else, then jog/walk on. Only issue with walking is keeping your body temp up for the water/ice events…

hooli

I wish I was joking!

https://toughmudder.co.uk/tattoos

Perhaps UK cycling events will let me do my next sportive for free if I (pay more than the entrance fee to a tattoo parlour) so I can be permanently branded with their logo 🙄

lucky7500

In agreement with lots of other people above, don’t worry too much about it as these events in 10k format really aren’t as tough as the promoters like to make out. I did Total Warrior a couple of months back as part of a group of six and had done absolutely no training. For various reasons I hadn’t even been out on the bike for a month beforehand and had done one very short run the weekend before. We then proceeded to drink fairly heavily until 3am the night before and had an 11.30 start slot!! We all got round the course absolutely fine in a solid mid pack time. Unless you really want to there’s extremely little running involved!
    I just pressure watered my trainers then chucked them in the washing machine.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Doing a 10k obstacle/mud run….. I can't run to save my life’ is closed to new replies.