Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)
  • Dogs at Trail Centres?
  • hainey
    Free Member

Any written or unwritten rule regarding taking your dog to trail centres? Best way to give mine a good workout is to take him biking and have never seen any signs or had any complaints but was just wondering.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not a fan at all, I'm afraid. Dogs have a tendency to run whichever way they choose and not necessarily have any sort of trail etiquette. For example, I had a dog run up the trail at me, at speed, as I was coming down one of the faster sections of Whites at Afan. I had to swerve to avoid the dog, and was very lucky to have only crashed up the hill, rather than falling down it.

No problem at all with dogs and bikes out on the open trails, but I think that the speed and nature of some trail centre riding means that it's really not the best place for dogs. Sorry.

Stu

Make sure they wear a helmet!

Stabilisers might be an issue on technical sections too…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

most dogs are clueless or antagonistic about bikes and try to dive into the wheels or bite the rider (playfully ?). So go for it! Also we should reintroduce wild boar to make riding more exciting and add the prospect of an unexpected spit roast …

mafiafish
    Free Member

Around green routes with wider slower trails it's fine but on reds and blacks lapses in concentration or sudden change of line from dog annoyance can cause injury for both parties.

firestarter
    Free Member

possibly one of the more ridiculous questions this week imo 🙂 and theres been a few

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I've taken a Springer Spaniel round Whites Level and Penhydd, no problem at all. She's a very good MTB dog, sticks quite close to me. Nobody we met had the slightest problem with it either. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

if you want to cycle and give him a workout stick to bridleways . If i bumped into a dog going round a trial centre i wouldnt be happy about it

uplink
    Free Member

You have to be a bit careful with running dogs like that

Most dogs will run themselves to death if they're following you, they won't stop when they're knackered, a little less severe is overheating pads so make sure you periodically stop where they can have a paddle

apologies if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs here 🙂

hainey
    Free Member

possibly one of the more ridiculous questions this week

Why is that?

I would never take my dog anywhere where he could injure me, himself or others. The first few times i took him i did it early in the morning to see how he copes (he has good etiquette with cross country skiing -stays out the way and in front etc so thought he would be fine with bikes) and he is fine with bikes, stays out the way, never runs in front etc.

PJ266
    Free Member

I'd say its fine. I've seen a quite a few people with dogs on rides now, its quite nice providing you pick up any shit.

Saw one hit a large rooty step-down me and my mate were eyeing up, made us laugh.

hainey
    Free Member

You have to be a bit careful with running dogs like that

Understand what you are saying but not a problem with mine. He has done 50mile endurance races and not broken a sweat, it really is down to the limitations of his master! 🙄

djglover
    Free Member

the worst example of dogs at trail centres I've seen is at Swinley, where the trails are narrow, surrounded by trees / ferns and multidirectional, met a few dogs coming the other way and just missed them.

In open country or the welsh scalextric centres can't see a problem though

nosedive
    Free Member

seems a shame when the track is dedicated to biking to have dogs getting in peoples way. Its not as if there is a lack of bridleway. Also seems like inviting an accident to me. Can't say I would react favourably if a dog stuffed up my ride after I had spent 2 hours in the car to find some bike only trail

miketually
    Free Member

If a trail centre is on FC land, walkers have full access rights. You should expect non-bikers on them just as on a BW.

There was a dog on the last group ride I did. He followed the last rider down the descents and trotted next to his owner on the climbs.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yep agreed – stupid idea, very selfish & I'm sure the claims direct type people would have a field day if your pooch caused an accident.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

seems a shame when the track is dedicated to biking to have dogs getting in peoples way

But what if they don't get in your way? No problem is there. FWIW, I doubt very much you could catch a Spaniel up anyway.

nosedive
    Free Member

plenty of the FC trails say bikes only at the start of the trails though, access rights maybe but surely common sense dictates. Mountain bike trail. clues in the title

uplink
    Free Member

seems a shame when the track is dedicated to [strike]biking[/strike] walkers to have [strike]dogs[/strike] cyclists getting in peoples way. Its not as if there is a lack of bridleway. Also seems like inviting an accident to me. Can't say I would react favourably if a [strike]dog[/strike] cyclist stuffed up my [strike]ride[/strike] walk after I had spent 2 hours in the car to find some [strike]bike[/strike] walking only trail

sound familiar?

hainey
    Free Member

I doubt very much you could catch a Spaniel up anyway.

For sure.

MussEd
    Free Member

Gets right on my tats TBH. Dangerous and silly. And unhygienic when the feckers shat on the trail. Don't pretend they don't. Owners are too busy riding their bikes to bag it and take it away. In my experience! Not suggesting OP wouldn't pick up after their dog, no no, all dog owners pick up after them don't they?

SO WHERE DOES ALL THE DOG SHITE COME FROM?

{sorry – pet hate}

Drac

Not the place for them, my Lab was a great trail dog but would never take her to a trail centre it'll just piss people off and there's too many bikes.

. He has done 50mile endurance races and not broken a sweat, it really is down to the limitations of his master!

Dog don't sweat, well not as much as us.

nosedive
    Free Member

uplink – does sound familiar. It's why I don't ride on footpaths

hainey
    Free Member

Dog don't sweat.

Figure of speach, oh and yes they do.

Ah, i see you edited!

firestarter
    Free Member

walkers complain about bikes on the footpaths, horsey types and us complain about 4×4 and motorbikes on bridleways . when i get a purpose built bike trail i dont expect to find a dog on it and as a dedicated bike trail i shouldnt have to regardless of the dogs trail manners

if i started turning up to gisburn or dalby on a horse you would hear loads of moaning 😉

hainey
    Free Member

if i started turning up to gisburn or dalby on a horse

I don't ride the dog!! 😆

midgebait
    Free Member

Blimey, am I going to agree with Hainey here?

I've taken my dog to a number of trail centres with absolutely no problems. I'd say just take a common sense approach e.g. avoid GT on a bank holiday weekend. Usually my wife and I ride with him in between us and before any fast or blind singletrack sections we'll make sure that we're clear before we go, let faster riders go first and allow over-taking where we can. If anyone ends up between us then they've already pushed past one of us to get there.

p.s. There are some miserable gits on here!

psling
    Free Member

Also we should reintroduce wild boar to make riding more exciting

You must visit us for a ride in the Forest of Dean sometime sfb 🙂

I've had a few unfortunate interfaces with dogs belonging to people-who-think-everyone-loves-their-dog on cyclepaths, equally I've ridden with people who've had their dog along for the day and it's been no problem whatsoever. These rides have been on natural trails in the open countryside though.

hainey
    Free Member

Well, I think the main thing is that it definitly should not be done if the dog isn't under control or could cause an accident.

It seems that there aren't any actual rules on it, just a differing opinion between those who like dogs and those who don't.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm sure the claims direct type people would have a field day if your pooch caused an accident.

I'd rather not injure myself OR a dog. Dogs are ace! I just don't think they have a place at trail centres. As mentioned above, get 'em out in the open country and it's grand!

Dougal
    Free Member

Dogs at trail centres seems fine to me, as long as they're bike savvy. Seen a lot over the last few years, none have been any sort of problem.

Re; not running the dog too much – In the first two years it is worth avoiding running the dog over great distances as their young joints (hips especially) are prone to injury that could become costly in later life. After that, have at it!

firestarter
    Free Member

if i started turning up to gisburn or dalby on a horse

I don't ride the dog!!

what you do in your own time in private is non of my concern 😉

you get what im meaning tho

nosedive
    Free Member

how come at some point dog owners always end up saying 'my dog would never….'. If your dog gets freaked by a faster rider passing you can't say for definite how it's going to react, one day it will do something stupid and cost someone their teeth

hainey
    Free Member

😆

hainey
    Free Member

faster rider passing you

That i can assure you will never happen! 😉

genesis
    Free Member

We have quite a few at Llandegla nobody has (yet) complained. Tbh most trail dogs seem weel used to the concept of running close to their masters. Use your discretion, personally I'd stick to off peak hours just in case.

Oh and don't bag their p00 just flick it off the trail.

hainey
    Free Member

personally I'd stick to off peak hours

Agreed.

nosedive
    Free Member

now now. you will only get upset when someone flattens rover with a 40 pound downhill bike

firestarter
    Free Member

no no no dont do off peak hours thats when i go 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I personally not being a dog lover would really prefer not to see it at all, other dog owners with less bike savvy pets might be tempted into taking theirs out. Sorry if that not what you wanted to hear, but plenty of bridleways and stuff to take the pooch out on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at Trail Centres?’ is closed to new replies.