• This topic has 52 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Dogs and stun guns
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Loads of dogs running out of control when out riding round the redways in Milton Keynes tonight. Why do owners think it's ok that their ****' dogs rush up to a cyclist or just let them wander out in front of you?

Would using a stun gun on someones dog be considered bad form?

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I believe stun guns are illegal in this country so yes, pretty bad form. Especially as the stun gun may well kill a small dog.

Just squirt the dog with some water, or am I a bit old school for still using water bottles and bottle cages?

duckers
    Free Member

Dogs should not be allowed to carry stun guns.

snaps
    Free Member

I know what you mean – got little fido's teeth marks in my SPD shoe to prove!
    Stun guns are legally an offensive weapon – but a spray can of Relgex or Deep Heat isn't.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Stun gun classed as an illegal firearm in the uk, so not the best idea.

markenduro
    Free Member

Get a 29er, they roll so much better over dogs…

ken_shields
    Free Member

OK…..no to the stun gun then

what about a really high pitched horn that only dogs can hear?

Moses

Ammonia, water pistol, done.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Ken – think you've got the wrong target m8 – use the stun gun on the dog's owners. Probably still illegal or non pc or some old tosh but much more effective. More to the point why are you night riding on the redways when Woburn is a seriously brilliant ride at night. We were there Tuesday and it was quite busy. Are you riding there Sunday as usual?

Andituk
    Free Member

Fire extinguisher works well apparently, quite bulky to bike mount though..

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

You could try one of those dog dazer ultrasonic things. I tried one on an alsation that was regularly bothering me and it seemed to do the trick.

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno if it makes you feel better, but I ran my own dog over tonight.
    She was spooked by a plastic coke bottle on the track and ran in front of me. I somehow managed to leap off the bike and not go over the bars.
    Quite a fun moment for both of us though.

samuri
    Free Member

your own piss, water pistol, owner.

fisha
    Free Member

your own piss, water pistol, owner.

No. you're own piss > owner's shoes.

lock
    Free Member

its cause dogs like chasing pussys

Shandy
    Free Member

Stun guns are maybe a bridge too far. Plus you need to get up close to use one. I don't know how you are going to get a dog in a headlock, and I don't know why you'd want to give one the was already attached to you by its teeth an electric shock?

If you mean a taser, are you going to just whip it out and take a potshot whilst riding along, or are you going to dismount, adopt your firing pose and give a clear warning? Something along the lines of "Excuse me madam, you might be enjoying a relaxing walk but your dog has just wandered into the patch of my bicycle and as such must prepare to face the consequences" would probably do it.

In the spirit of the forum, you should probably cobble together a home made gun design with enough juice to bring down a rhino. Mount one to your helmet and one to your bars, preferably with some kind of DIY device bodged from old bike bits and zip ties. Patrol your local woods immolating small animals and taking pictures of the results.

soobalias
    Free Member

i cant believe how irresponsible some pet owners are.
    a badger nearly had me off last night by crashing into my front wheel, i was forced to stab the lollipop lady this morning in an attempt to rectify the situation.

hora
    Free Member

Colleague at work said yesterday that she noticed that cyclist who dressed in the full cyclist kit tended to be rude. I kinda agree with her. What is it about trying to go for the full on-look makes people an absolute set of cocks?

Shandy
    Free Member

Funny, I saw an ambulance parked in a cycle lane this morning while they tried to load an old lady. The sign that was sticking out of her ass kept catching in the doors. Anyway, they'll be going nowhere because I slashed the tyres.

RealMan
    Free Member

Driller
    Free Member

SOOBalias – funny, v.funny.

Nice work.

hora
    Free Member

ken shields. Are you Asian?

ken_shields
    Free Member

SOOBalias LOL

Shandy – top suggestion although I was thinking more of it being mounted also on the toe of your shoes and using the van der graff generator principal so you could deliver a big spark without having to touch the dog and if you sufficient capacity you could zap the owner on the way passed too 😯

hora
    Free Member

This isnt a troll. Jacksons Boat/Mersey you get alot of cyclists riding as fast as they can past older dog walkers etc. I've even stepped into the way of a few to slow them down. I've done this because they are approaching people who are older walking their dogs ahead and I think theres an accident waiting to happen.
    Then you get the stories from other dog walkers of the swearing and gesticulations etc from young lads to older women and male walkers. Who do these idiots think they are?
    If you saw a 30yr old swearing at a 45yr old woman what would you do to the lad? I can tell you what I'd do but then I'd never catch this happening, the yellow-feckers will only threaten people who are older or on their own. Idiots.

Any of the above- I bet you wouldnt shout or have a go at a dog walker who was a bloke of similar age would you? Say a Manc or working lad.

Shandy
    Free Member

Hora there are more than enough bell-ends on both sides to keep this discussion going round in circles forever. I was out walking with my family and dog last weekend on a busy stretch of canal with groups of people walking in either direction. There was a guy going along the cycle lane, ringing his bell at every group he came to and insisting that they vacate the cycle lane to allow him past. He could have just weaved in and out of the groups of people and smiled at them, or he could have used the little singletrack trail off the main path, but he was determined that he was going to get every last pedestrian out of that cycle lane. Some people just have a very small-minded approach to outdoor recreation.

hora
    Free Member

Agree and you're right its a subject that can go on forever.

Olly
    Free Member

iirc stunguns are designed to hook into clothes, and electrocut through the cloth, not get the barbs stuck directly into skin (see the trouble Joonny Knoxville had pulling the buggers out when he tazed himself)
    will properly wound a dog and drwa blood, and the owner will likely then wound you.

small water pistol with piss in it.
    something that will irritate the dog, but then stink out the owners house 😉

could get a cross draw holster or a chest holster and put it on your camel back or something?

hora
    Free Member

You could have a good old arms race (bigger naster dogs running along with you) but that wont work..people still let their dogs come near our dog.. silly.

Shandy
    Free Member

Or how about a catapult firing balls of human excrement?

This thread has gone beyond all acceptable levels of normality, I am away to the gym.

hora
    Free Member

You could shit in carrierbags and hang them from the dogwalkers car door mirrors

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm going to start fitting cats with lasers just to spice things up a bit.

actiondan
    Free Member

Have the same problem on a short stretch of my commute to work, some woman who thinks she is in the film "Born Free" naming her 2 Alsations Elsa and whatever the other one was called – you know the type jogpurs, wellingtons, barbour jacket and dog whistle to boot. After being chased numerous times by her huge dogs I confronted her to voice my concerns that if she was goingb to let such big dogs run free off leash then they should at least be muzzled. This didn't help as she know automatically sends them after me as soon as she see's me riding past, have thought of buying anti dog spray from Germany which is apparently used by there postie's, though I think it's just pepper spray, not sure on the legality? Though a friend of my mine who's a bit 'Johnny English' said they use a mix of 20% water and 80% ammonia which used in a water spray bottle makes any dog think your the King Kong of the dog world and will s*@#t itself.

TooTall
    Free Member

Take it to the owners – not the dog.

What worries me is that I believe soobalias – he'd do it.

finbar
    Free Member

Colleague at work said yesterday that she noticed that cyclist who dressed in the full cyclist kit tended to be rude. I kinda agree with her. What is it about trying to go for the full on-look makes people an absolute set of cocks?

Maybe because people in proper cycling kit are more likely to be actually training rather than just bimbling about.

hora
    Free Member

action dan, if that is true- call the Police or find out who the local dog warden is. If two alsations are willing allowed after you once you are passed that is out of order. I wouldnt muck about. Local to me there are a couple of idiots who let their dogs (dangerous) off the lead. Spoke to the local warden and strangely I havent seen the said dogs/owners for a while. I could give the dogs a good kick but then it would look bad on me (and that isnt on).

Its what the Police and associated framework is there for.

Maybe because people in proper cycling kit are more likely to be actually training rather than just bimbling about.

Its hardly going to be the difference between 84th place and 85th place is it if you ease off for a couple of seconds times during your training is it?

actiondan
    Free Member

hora, I did report it to the police, they said it wasn't an actual police matter and that I should report it to the local authority dog warden, who said I should report to the police and so the backwards and forwards went on for a good couple of hours. Eventually I looked up the dangerous dogs act and an "owner is guilty if they permit there dog to injure a person or there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will do so". So after reminding the local police of the law, I thought they might do something, however I do still see this woman on occassions and like autumn turns to winter she sets the dogs after me!

Shandy
    Free Member

Finbar you have to remember that most people care very little about whether you are "actually training" or not, all they see is a person who takes themselves too seriously.

hora
    Free Member

Whereabouts in the NWest are you? Im in Manchester. I dont get it- my dog warden was allover them like a rash. I used the words 'small children' in the vicinity, dogs running free/owner not able to restrain them or catch them.

Add alittle colour- give her description and say you witnessed a close call with some children playing. 😉

actiondan
    Free Member

I'm in Wirral, just got some sob story about being under funded, under staffed etc, etc. Though if it happens again (last time was Wednesday) I might mention that I also saw a small child being chased as well.

user-removed
    Free Member

If someone was deliberately setting their large (dangerous?) dogs on me, I'd have absolutely no hesitation in defending myself with whatever came to hand.

Quite a lot of riders have a Kryptonite U lock on their frame…..

By this, I mean dogs and owner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dogs and stun guns’ is closed to new replies.