• This topic has 52 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Dogs and stun guns
  • hora
    Free Member

If someone was deliberately setting their large (dangerous?) dogs on me, I'd have absolutely no hesitation in defending myself with whatever came to hand.

I know where you are coming from and theres no way I'd take on two Alsatians.

As a kid (16/17) our neighbours used to let their Doberman out after 11pm to roam the area. Now I used to comeback from clubbing and dread hearing the pitter patter of its feet in the dark so I always armed myself with a few empty milkbottles off doorsteps. After a couple of encounters the dog wasnt released after dark again.

user-removed
    Free Member

I know where you are coming from and theres no way I'd take on two Alsatians.

Doesn't sound like he's being given much choice….. If they're not actually attacking him, I suppose it's not so much of a problem.

EDIT: when I was a kid (like seven years old) my uncle's alsation used to chase me round the garden barking and growling. I was rescued from a tree more than once by my laughing uncle who assured me that the dog was just playing….. Seemed very real to me!

hora
    Free Member

From the limited info this woman could claim that you attacked her and her dogs were only defending her.

Far fetched but heat of the moment. The only solution is to say you saw some kids have a near-miss.

user-removed
    Free Member

Video it on the phone too? Especially good if you get the woman issuing the command to attack and releasing the hounds (Smithers).

hora
    Free Member

I'd say avoid that area or take a witness with you. The next time you both lodge a police complaint and ask to speak to the duty inspector if they wont act (go in).

I wouldnt let it lie. Sorry. As some of you know on here I must have the last word and I'll chase an arguement down. (its one of my weaknesses) 🙄

actiondan
    Free Member

I do worry if I reacted that she might say I attacked her and she let the dogs on me, as it's part of a coastal path it is often quite empty early morning and devoid of other people. To be honest I'm to busy s@*tt#$g myself as one of the dogs runs along aside me barking and growling and the other dog not far behind him like their hunting in a pack, think I might try and order the anti dog spray. It's no good for my heart so early in the morning! Though I suppose I could add an extra few miles and go a different way which somehow would feel defeatist.

hora
    Free Member

I have your answer..

hora
    Free Member

An Air horn in your pocket- reach down- point in the direction and LET RIP.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I race Alaskan Malamute sled dogs along side of MTBing and have experience of rehoming poorly trained/ aggresive dogs as well as having done work for the dog charities, my day job is in law enforcment too so I can answer a few queries here.

Stungun- Don't even think about it, classed as a fire arm and illeagal.
    Ditto Mace/Pepper spray or anything intentionally made and/or carried for the same purpose.

Amonia- yes the hormone affect mentioned earlier will case a dog to back off, but I have had a very good result from a water pistol filled with lemon juice & a bit of water- squirt this in/at the open mouth and they stop dead- all the saliva disolves in their mouth and has a simlar affect as being kicked in the nuts mid coitas- takes away all performance and desire.

A sudden shot of any cold liquid will sober or stun most animals enough for a get away though.

There are holds that prompt a dog to back down. It regresses the dog to it's puppy stage as it mimicks the mothers way of controlling them but I wouldn't recomend trying this if you don't know what you're doing.

Best way to passify a dog is to turn sideways, lower your eyes bellow that of the dog and look up at it- this is dog talk for "OK You're the boss"

If a dog is biting on you or something you need back like a bag or bike put your hand over the top of the snout and push it's lips under it's teeth, it will realease it's jaws as it will be biting itself.

If you REALLY need to fight a dog off or else it will KILL you, push (from below) or pull (from above/behind) the dogs front legs apart, this will kill the dog dead due to lacerated internal organs and disslocated legs.

hora
    Free Member

😯 Err I still think the air horn will suffice? Thats a 'little' drastic 😯

singletrackmind

One time last year me and the Dezmeister were up on Pitch Hill. We were cycling up the doubltrack to the veiwpoint. A woman with 2 large Alsations was walking them down the same track towards us. Both dogs roaming loose , and well away from the owner, 1 had a 4 foot ish length of wood in its jaws, about 4" diameter, so perfect for de -spoking a wheel.
    The feckers came after us despite her calling them back so we stopped and they came up and around , all abit quiet like.
    She walks up and says " Are you Ok, they usually jump up on cyclists" !!
    WTF , its one of the busiest cycling areas locally, and there are lots of families up there too. Daft cow.
    This thread has the potential to degenerate into another 'Don't Kick Dogs Thread'

hora
    Free Member

This thread has the potential to degenerate into another 'Don't Kick Dogs Thread'

It shouldnt. action dan needs some good advice as well as the OP. I'd much rather the idiots causing problems feel sanctions/proper trouble than the 'kick the feckers car if he makes a mistake near me-type'.

If someone has a dangerous dog, the alsations for instance they will be bothering other people as well. Better to get them either kept in line or put down. Bother your local dog warden, dont leave the front desk of your Police station and if its a situation and you do feel cornered/threatened call 999. Dont muck about.

hora
    Free Member

Naughty Nutmeg this afternoon in Hebden Bridge. She mouthed my ankle and when I jumped off to calm her down she ran off barking 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dogs and stun guns’ is closed to new replies.