Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Dog Owners….
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

…. when your mutt is jumping on and growling and children and obviously terrifying them it can not be considered playing.

It’s a strange idea I know, but how about keeping the thing under control?

patriotpro
    Free Member

devs been up to his tricks again…

Hope the kids involved didn’t get hurt/upset btw

trailmonkey

is it time for this one again, already ?

mattbee

It could have been a child’s face!

pjm84
    Free Member

Yes seems to be.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I agree. I hate when peoples children climb all over my dog. It’s clear he doesn’t like it and if he nips at them, suddenly I’m the villain. Why can’t people tell when a dog is scared.

loum
    Free Member

Edited: Wasn’t helpful. Hope they’re ok.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Onzadog – I agree, kids need to be kept under control too. But my boys are very scared of dogs as it is due to them having both been bitten in similar circumstances to today.

Loum – I find that kicking the dog usually works – after the owner has refused to control their dog when asked that is.

andyl
    Free Member

can we have a separate forum for people to whinge at dogs and dog owners? Maybe people who complain about horse poo can go there too and they can all whinge away to their hearts content.

If you have a problem with a specific dog and/or dog owner then SAY SOMETHING TO THEM. If you don’t they keep on living in ignorance so they need to be told. Then all of us dog owners who have well trained dogs who respect that they need to be kept out of peoples way get tarnished with the same brush.

anagallis_arvensis

when your mutt is jumping on and growling and children and obviously terrifying them it can not be considered playing.

by the dog it can.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

my boys are very scared of dogs

More interaction with animals is perhaps what is needed ?

andyl
    Free Member

Loum – I find that kicking the dog usually works – after the owner has refused to control their dog that is

Depends on the situation…

Minor annoyance, pestering you or your kids or your dog and the dog owner isn’t doing anything then I suggest a forceful shove with your foot rather than a kick.

If you fear for somebodies or your own dogs safety and the owners is not doing anything then get a bit heavier.

But remember it may not be the fault of the dog – poor training comes from the owner. Would you kick a kid because it’s parent isn’t controlling it? Also if you hurt a dog without reason you could end up with a conviction for cruelty to animals. Plus if anyone hurt my dog they would end up in hospital.

anagallis_arvensis

Plus if anyone hurt my dog they would end up in hospital.

Bingo!!!!

What do I win?

andyl
    Free Member

But my boys are very scared of dogs as it is due to them having both been bitten in similar circumstances to today.

is it just that or is that in addition to another reason? eg a parents attitude to dogs?

When your kid falls off a bike do you destroy the bike and never let them ride again? Or if they struggle in the pool and swallow loads of water do you never let them near water again?

Your reaction to an event has a huge effect on the way a kid responds to that situation. Assess it properly and react accordingly and you prevent irrational fear and repeats.

samuri
    Free Member

You’d be kicking the wrong thing. Try kicking the owner of the dog or child, that should elicit a better response.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

is it time for this one again, already ?

Leopards.
    Spots.
    Changes.

stratobiker
    Free Member

If my dog is out of control, feel free to kick it.

SB

glupton1976
    Free Member

andyl – I grew up around lots of dogs, family bred rottweilers and ran kennels, and have no problem with well controlled dogs. We’ve tried to get the boys happy around dogs again and they are reasonably happy with well controlled dogs, but any sign of agression from a dog and they are terrified, which is probably a good thing. Kicks given to dogs are of various degrees of force and speed depending on the situation.

jon1973
    Free Member

Would you kick a kid because it’s parent isn’t controlling it?

If he was growling at me and trying to bite me, I propably would. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

More interaction with animals is perhaps what is needed ?

Trip to the zoo might help?

You are right though more dog owners need to be responsible for their dogs and read peoples reactions better.

Plus if anyone hurt my dog they would end up in hospital.

Surely it would depend on what your dog did and what they did?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Can anyone remember how this thread ended last time?
    Was it the same as the previous time and the time before that?
    Should the winner be common sense, only for it to be pipped at the post by selfishness?
    #repeat.

crikey
    Free Member

Of all the various groupings of people I encounter in public, of all the ways of labelling and sorting people into socio-economic or sporting or whatever groupings, dog owners seem to be one of the most unaware or wilfully obtuse.

It’s a stereotype, it’s a tarring with the same brush, it’s a generalisation, but it proves to be correct more times than not.

It’s got to the stage that I will stop and thank people who have well behaved dogs, because they are the exception rather than the rule.

I now ride near groups of people or single people who have dogs off leads with the clear and certain expectation that their dog will not respond to commands and will get in my way. I don’t blame the dogs.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought Smee wasn’t allowed to troll anymore…

Nice to see attitudes from either side are as hardened as ever though.

smell_it
    Free Member

Whooooh, am I having a flashback or have i got dust in my eyes?

glupton1976
    Free Member

And now the nonsense starts when the usual suspects cry troll…..

Mods: probably a good idea to close the thread now before their nonsense gets out of hand.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, I’m going to go with George, in the zoo and the weapon was fists.

/cluedo

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I dunno TZF, why don’t you report it? You read the story about the boy who cried wolf when you were a youngster, yeah?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Then all of us dog owners who have well trained dogs who respect that they need to be kept out of peoples way

I would hazard a guess that these people do not apply to the OP.

pingu66
    Free Member

Dogs out of control. Kck it in the B0ll0CKS.

Kids out of control annoying a dog, hmmmm!!!

Most dog owners are idiots I agree. However we are not all the same.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Would you kick a kid because it’s parent isn’t controlling it?

If the kid was attacking one of my own then I would likely grab the kid and return it to the particular parent, probably not kick it though no.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why would dog owners disagree with the OP?

patriotpro
    Free Member

glupton1976 – Member

Mods: probably a good idea to close the thread now before their nonsense gets out of hand.

Thing is they know full well what type of thread it is yet still come on and whinge. They are the curtain-twitchers of STW! 🙄

theboatman
    Free Member

Guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks eh?

deviant
    Free Member

….because there is so much reactionary nonsense from parents these days its laughable.

Driving past a school the other day several parents all (in an exaggerated manner naturally) herded/scooped their children into their arms away from the road….firstly the children were nowhere near the kerb let alone in the road and secondly i was driving at the speed limit and funnily enough was not out to mount the kerb and mow down children on my way home….same thing happened when i was a passenger and my other half was driving….

….we have a small dog, runt of the litter sort, smaller than a cat….if it runs at somebody, which she will do when off the lead and in the woods, most people react well…she is a comically small thing and likes a fuss….but some adults will scoop their sprogs up and physically shield them as the tiny dog approaches, its no wonder some kids have no idea how to respond in certain situations or develop irrational fears.

Cletus

I took my daughter to a local park yesterday – probably 5 acres of open space yet a dog owner had let their mutt crap 18 inches away from the bottom of a slide in the kids area. Lots more “surprises” in the near vicinity as well.

A significant proportion of dog owners are obtuse morons.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I seem to have a bastard of a dog, he is absolutely lovely for the most part but put him in the park & let him see another dog then he just runs at them & will jump at them yapping appearing to bite their face ( he’s a BT so quite small), but really all he is doing is playing, always wagging his tail & never has his heckles up & certainly never actually bites anything. Other dog owners see this as aggression although it isn’t & people who don’t do dogs get really defensive, I think the OP doesnt do dogs.

samuri
    Free Member

A significant proportion of dog owners people are obtuse morons.

Fixed that for you.

patriotpro
    Free Member

2unfit2ride – Member
    I seem to have a bastard of a dog, he is absolutely lovely for the most part but put him in the park & let him see another dog then he just runs at them & will jump at them yapping appearing to bite their face ( he’s a BT so quite small), but really all he is doing is playing, always wagging his tail & never has his heckles up & certainly never actually bites anything. Other dog owners see this as aggression although it isn’t & people who don’t do dogs get really defensive, I think the OP doesnt do dogs.

You know this as it’s your dog – a stranger wouldn’t know this.

A BT ran at my daughter a few months ago, my OH saw it coming and scooped her up, it went for her shoe and tore the toe end of the shoe off, yeh right off.

My OH is now reluctant to take my girls down to that park again – Good work eh.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I took my daughter to a local park yesterday – probably 5 acres of open space yet a dog owner had let their mutt crap 18 inches away from the bottom of a slide in the kids area. Lots more “surprises” in the near vicinity as well.

Public parks are dog toilets, any parent stupid enough to take their kids to a place with a concentrated biohazard to play and run around should be reported to social services for neglect.

patriotpro
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    Public parks are dog toilets, any parent stupid enough to take their kids to a place with a concentrated biohazard to play and run around should be reported to social services for neglect.

Troll-tastic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dog Owners….’ is closed to new replies.