Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Does this image make you want to buy ham?
  • scaredypants

yunki, they’re just frazzles that have been soaked for a while and cut into housey shapes

brooess
    Free Member

I would be interested if you can show me any rigorous data on this

TJ’s bang on with this. Effectiveness of marketing is far harder to measure than many people realise. It’s very subjective.
    Internet is generally very easy to measure because you can track where people clicked after seeing the ad – did the ad lead to a sale or not, but almost every other form of marketing is impossible to prove 100% – too many uncontrollable variables. Press and direct mail come close but still not 100% – and it does depend whether it’s a brand campaign or direct selling…
    In reality, whether a campaign worked or not is generally down to whether the ‘for’ camp are better at spinning the positives than the ‘against’ camp are at spinning the negatives. And political power in the team…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He is not bang on at all. Businesses advertise, they either sell more stuff, less stuff or see no change in sales. That shows how effective (or not) the campaign was.

Hardly rocket science.

brooess
    Free Member

But which of the many marketing activities being undertaken at any one time are delivering the sales?

William Lever made the quote about advertising, “I know half my advertising isn’t working, I just don’t know which half.” [24]

Wikipedia

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lets see some good data then MF.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously TJ – is that the best you can do?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hardly rocket science.

Well it might not be rocket science but I doubt that it’s as simple as whether they sell more stuff or not. Other factors affect sales apart from advertising – even what your competitors are up to, in terms of product development, supply, prices, etc, will affect your sales, irrespective of your advertising campaigns.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – you make a claim. I would like to see you back it up with some data.

I and others believe your claim to be bogus. Can yo back it up?

donsimon
    Free Member

MF – you make a claim. I would like to see you back it up with some data.

😆 Made my day that has…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why not find some data to prove it doesn’t work?

leffeboy

Warning, contains numbers, lots and lots of them

For those with a life, the above paper refers to a large scale test that used online advertising to look at the effect on people. Online was used because it allowed control of who saw the ad and who didn’t. The results show that everyone is sort of right here. Just for reference the ad was an online ad for Netflix which didn’t do much other than provide brand awareness.

Some quotes from the conclusions:

Despite the economic importance of the advertising industry, the causal effects of advertising on sales have been extremely difficult to quantify

With such a large individual-level dataset, we are just on the frontier of being able to measure economically meaningful effects

Our primary result is that in this case study, retail advertising works! We find positive, sizeable, and persistent effects of online retail advertising on retail sales. The ad effects appear to
    persist for several weeks after the last ad has been shown. In total, we estimate that the retailer gained incremental revenues more than seven times as large as the amount it spent on the online ads in this experiment.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

FFS leffeboy, what’s the “heteroskedasticity-consistent Eicher-White formulation” ????

It looks a bit like rocket science to me !

brooess
    Free Member

After multiple years of interactions with advertisers and advertising sales representatives
    at Yahoo!, we have noticed a distinct lack of knowledge about the quantitative effects of
    advertising.

Nail on head

Mantastic
    Free Member

Some of you lot take things way too serious.

After seeing that advert I am now interested in getting naked and trying some pork products, so am off to remove a couple ribs and go and suck myself off.

Will let you know how i get on when you lot have finished arguing about a loads of old bollocks.

leffeboy

Nail on head

Yep, and it’s even worse in web land because there are often numbers but they can be quite meaningless

jackthedog
    Free Member

A couple of weeks ago on another thread I (along with a few others here) was engaged in a debate about the removal of traffic lights. I’ve just been back to have a quick look at it.

Over 11 posts in that thread I contributed 1767 words, and linked to a further 771 I’d written elsewhere. My posts, I think, prompted quite lively and – for this forum at least – quite sensible debate on a subject I find interesting and stimulating.

TJ was involved in the same thread. Coincidentally he too posted 11 times, but with a word count at a much lower 399. In fact his longest post on the subject was 78 words, and many of the shorter ones were mere sentences reinstating in slightly different wording what he’d already said further up the page.

So to recap, those word counts lay at:

Me: 2538 words
    TJ: 399 words

A few days later in another thread came this post:

Is he tandomjeremy’s child. demonstrating how a junction without traffic lights is just as safe as one with traffic lights?

To which, with much incredulity, I could only add:

Hello? Can anyone see me?

Talk about brand recognition.

leffeboy

Talk about brand recognition.

Are you suggesting that a brand is given more weight by pure force of exposure rather than any intrinsic value? Surely that isn’t possible…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hold on let me Google that.

druidh
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    Hold on let me Google that.

Excellent!!! 😆 😆 😆

jackthedog
    Free Member

Are you suggesting that a brand is given more weight by pure force of exposure rather than any intrinsic value? Surely that isn’t possible…

A brand can be given more weight by pure force of exposure rather than any intrinsic value, yes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wunundred 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Wunundred!

[edit]too late[/edit] 😐

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I feel bad…seeing as it was your thread an’ all 🙁

brooess
    Free Member

A brand can be given more weight by pure force of exposure rather than any intrinsic value, yes.

Frequently how it’s done…

Hovis, well-known brand of mass-produced factory bread.

Is it as tasty and healthy as the bread from your local baker?

Harry_the_Spider

I feel bad…seeing as it was your thread an’ all

I’ll get over it. Still not had the urge to get naked and eat a processed pig.

leffeboy

Oops, I obviously forgot the wink at the end 😳

scaredypants

We’ve just come back from my mum’s house – jubilee tea

She had made sandwiches out of processed ham and she was wearing nothing except for a flat cap; says it’s all the rage

(ham was waitrose’s, BTW)

Harry_the_Spider

I was driving through Harrogate today and saw the worst dressed tranny that I have ever seen. A ham related advertising missfire?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Was it Elton John?

Harry_the_Spider

Too tall. Too “blokey” looking.

Saw some signs for EJ. Round ones with an arrow through them. Couldn’t work out if they were directions over a roundabout or the subliminal work of a marketing genius suggesting that somebody should take the fat b’stard out with a cross bow.

project
    Free Member

Just opened this months copy of MBUK, nad theres another naked man advertising race face cranks, with 50 quid off if you walk into a bike shop naked.

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Does this image make you want to buy ham?’ is closed to new replies.