Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does my focus need its heat shield, do you think?
  • Northwind

Just performing another bout of minor surgery on the big red skip… Changing handbrake cables today but it’s reminded me of how knackered the heat shield between the exhaust and underbody is- it’s ripped away from most of the mounting points leaving big holes in the shield. I’ve previously reattached it with a load of cableties- sign of a pro job that- but it’s still a little loose and though it’s not going to fall off, it rattles off the exhaust something horrible on rough surfaces.

So, I can probably do a better job of reattaching it once I’m done with the cables but it’ll be a bit of a faff, and it does leave me wondering if I could dispense with it entirely…

It’s a TDDI 1.8 mk 1.5 estate, fwiw.

meehaja
    Free Member

try it and see? FWIW we had several zafira’s go up in flames at work due to failed/missing heatshields (and wood screwed into the floor!)

hora
    Free Member

How close is the exhaust to the fuel tank?

Although its a diesel… my Puma fell away. I just binned it.

Northwind

The exhaust’s quite far (6 inches or more) from the fuel tank and pipe- the tank gets a big extra section of its own but mostly this is just sat a few inches from the exhaust, with nothing on the other side but metal floorpan (or handbrake cable!)

Incidentally, I am considering tracking down the man who designed the little fasteners use to fit this thing, and condemn him to a lifetime of the most greivous punishment I can think of- which right now, would be removing a heatshield from a scabby Focus.

hora
    Free Member

Your fine. Mine was quite substantial and close to the spare tyre! 😆

unovolo
    Free Member

I had the same issue on a Seat Ibiza GTI that I owned several years ago,I binned the heat shield off never had any problems and did not notice any difference in the interior temp without it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Had the same thing on my Fiesta. Mechanic just binned it.

sandwicheater

I had mine of the focus for last 3 years. No problems.

eyerideit
    Free Member

We had a rattle driving t wakes on the old focus.

When we took it to the local mechanic, he just pulled the shield off and binned it, apparently we didn’t need it.

Sold the car now, but in the six months after ‘having it’ removed it didn’t blow up.

Northwind

Sound. Half the fasteners are no use now anyway so it’ll be a project to reattach anyway so I have both Singletrack Concensus and laziness on that side. But just so you know eyerideit, sandwicheater, thegreatape, unovolo and hora, if I get burned alive I’m haunting you.

Cheers folks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does my focus need its heat shield, do you think?’ is closed to new replies.