Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..

Home Forum Chat Forum Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..
  • Rockhopper

Any small builder should be able to do it -its not hard just mind numbingly boring!!

Junkyard

as above you could probably do it your self just as well I dont know any that are that desperate for work they would do it sorry

2hottie

As the title says really. I need some pointing work done and I'm looking for some recommendations for who to do the work.

Cheers

Scott

robidoo

I am going to have a go at re-pointing my house next week, never done it before so wish me luck.

A builder mate said it would be about £50 per sq m.

I am too tight to pay that, without having a go first

robidoo

Rockhopper – Member
    Any small builder should be able to do it -its not hard just mind numbingly boring!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hightest comment 😉

JonEdwards

Been there done that. Mind numbing doesn't even begin to cover it. Filthy work clearing out the old cement (especially if you speed up the process using a grinder) and the pointing itself is just tedious.

Not difficult at all though!

If you get a *small* builder in, make sure he brings a stepladder with him…

Premier Icon steveh
    Subscriber

I know a builder in the area, not sure if it's a big enough job for him (will depend how busy he is) but his works great if he's got the time. I've not got his number handy though.

Period Brickwork leyland – Andy

if your having a go yourself here are some tips;
    *the mix should be wet enough to form a ball in your hand, but dry enough to leave little/no reside on your glove when you form it.
    *wet the joints thoroughly, and top up with a sprayer as you go
    *once its gone off enough not to run, spray gently with a hose twice/thrice a day for 2 days (longer for lime mortar)
    *tools are a plasterers hawk and a 'small tool' (it can be a bit embarrassing asking the builders merchant if he has a small tool)
    *get the hawk flush with the joint (to avoid waste) and push mortar in with small tool
    *press the mix in HARD
    *do long lines of beds and then come back for the perps (upright bits)
    *dont try and make it too pretty at first you can come back after about 3 hrs and cut off excess to make it look nice

i would also include some kind of mind numbing drugs such as beer or dope as it is the most tedious of jobs

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Stick a tender up on http://www.mybuilder.com/ perhaps?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone know of any brick pointing firms in the Preston area..’ is closed to new replies.