Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Does anybody here not watch TV?
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’ve got the builders in reparing the lounge wall, so I’m currently into a second evening without the usual lounge electronics. I’ve had no shortage of access to news and weather reports and I recall that lately, every time I look to see what’s on telly, I draw a blank. I’ve had no trouble entertaining myself over the past two days so – somebody remind me – why am I paying for a TV licence?

edd

I don’t have a TV but I do occasionally watch some stuff on iPlayer. Don’t really feel the need to get one.

SnS
    Free Member

Typically, averages out at an hour per week.

Think I just got out of the habit – Usual preference is sat on the battered settee in the kitchen, book in one hand, radio on in the background.
    That’s my preference, but the other half always looks at this as being unproductive & likes to try and find things for me to do 😉
    Feels like Last of the summer wine at times – It’s a battle that’s been going on for nearly 25 years….& she still hasn’t won ! !

Chris

Onzadog
    Free Member

The wife and I are considering getting rid of the tv licence. It really doesn’t seem to offer value for money for us.

Duane…
    Free Member

Don’t have one at home, nor at uni.

iPlayer/4oD/BBC news site does me fine. Probably helped by the fact I don’t really bother with watching sports.

iDave
    Free Member

I have one but maybe only watch 1 hour a week, 2 if Mrs iDave is here.

cyclebiker

Nothing really interests me on the box so I tend to avoid it. Mrs Cyclebiker loves her reality carp…I prefer either my computer, book or music (usually a mixture of two of them).
    If we do sit down for some “quality” time, it usually results in a film going on from the collection.

wellhung
    Free Member

No TV here but watch Iplayer/4od if there is something that tickles our fancy.

GW
    Free Member

don’t watch very much at all. (haven’t watched any this week)
    don’t watch any live broadcast BBC, don’t pay for a license

chvck
    Free Member

I don’t watch any TV itself but I download quite a bit of television (mostly stuff shown in the states before here) like Dexter and Game of Thrones

restless
    Free Member

Don’t really watch anything .

We have a 6 tvs in this house and i only put mine on to go to sleep 😕

rexated
    Free Member

I haven’t had a TV for a few years. If I stay in a hotel overnight with work and put the TV on I get pi$$ed of very quickly with either the banality of most programming or the adverts. I’ll struggle not to get a TV this summer though for the Olympics. Other than that, glad I got shot of it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

ever since xbox got that new UI with 4OD and BBC iPlayer etc haven’t watched much broadcast telly at all.

brakes
    Free Member

TV is brilliant.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I decided recently that the little that I wanted to watch wasn’t worth £150 for a TV license. 4od and the others get used about once a week, total. And it feels good that none of my money goes to that nice Mr Clarkson or that nice Mr Linekar.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I have been without a tv for about 6 months now and I love it. I have iPlayer if I want to watch something, and I spend more time reading and listening to music as well as indulging other interests. With a tv my evenings would vanish as I sat watching stuff I didn’t really want to watch.

boltonjon

Its either my age (mid-30s…) or TV has gone incredibly crap since Big Brother kicked off the dreadful concept of Reality TV, followed by the invention of digital TV

Ever since we all started receiving 50+ channels, the TV producers have been scrabbling to generate anything which they can put on TV.

There is so many shows that the producers need to make it incredibly cheap, so they invent utter shit like airport, how clean is your house, my husband is a woman….some shite where they pay the stars next to nothing

I watch a bit of the news, Question Time, Shameless and now the F1 highlights. I might catch the odd good repeat like Alan Patridge, Peepshow or Father Ted. 2 or 3 hours a week

However, i’d still pay the license fee as the BBC news and webpage is incredible and very balanced compared to the rest of the British press.

You realise how good it is if you log-in overseas and you get bombarded with adverts

Conclusion – TV is now utter shite. Books, music and the web are much better

mogrim

Don’t watch much, but wouldn’t want to be without one. There are moments when the best thing in the world is to slump on the sofa, Ted Bundy style…

mogrim

Conclusion – TV is now utter shite. Books, music and the web are much better

It was always crap, think back 25-35 years and you’re back in the world of Terry and June, Hale and Pace, endless crap gameshows etc. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing!

wolly
    Free Member

I’ve never watched a single second of tv I sit in my Eco cave and look at my bikes for entertainment.

druidh
    Free Member

Very occasionally. Maybe if I’m doing the ironing I’ll flick it on to see something distracting. I might watch the evening news on it.

boltonjon – Member
    the BBC news and webpage is incredible and very balanced compared to the rest of the British press.

boltonjon

Druidh

Please explain where you obtain your balanced and fair news – without being bombarded with constant adverts?

Ignore the advert bit if you like, but that annoys me a lot

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is watching iplayer not just watching the telly with a different name?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The less I watch, the happier I am.

If I remember I try to catch stuff I like – Harry Hill, Apprentice…

weirdnumber
    Free Member

Is watching iplayer not just watching the telly with a different name?

Yeah I suppose, for me its behaviorally different. Watching something on iPlayer means watching one program. Sitting in front of the tv usually means flicking backwards and forwards, or not turning off to do something else because I am already doing something. Even if deep down I know I don’t actually want to watch what I’m watching.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Watch a couple of programs a week on i-player and record road races and moto gp but thats all these days.

Garry_Lager

Don’t watch any these days really. Although I more than make up for mindless telly watching with mindless tinternetting. License fee goes towards Cbeebies – gets plenty of airtime chez Lager.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Barely watch any; never really have.

I’d gladly ditch the TV, however I’d get howls of protest from the rest of the tribe.

I can always find something that needs doing or some study to do.

metalheart
    Free Member

Haven’t had an operational tv for knocking on two years. A year of that was with an Internet 3G dongle so not even iplayer.

The last 9-10 months I’ve had an iPad/broadband and watched some stuff on iplayer. Mostly factual stuff. I’ve liked the bbc4 music stuff I guess. Cnba staying up to watch it though…

At the work canteen there is a tv. I deliberately sit with my back too it as I find it too distracting.

I’m just as likely to watch a DVD these days. Or maybe YouTube.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I managed for about 4 years, only missed it very occasionally. What I did find was I missed out on a lot of TV related conversations, half the time I had no idea what people/friends were talking about.
    It all came to an end when I inherited a brand new flat screen with all the trimmings, but to be honest, I still hardly ever turn it on, maybe for the odd film or sporting events.

Northwind

Hardly ever do… Well, I tend to put Pointless on when I get in from work but just as a background. Anything else I want to see, I watch on the internet or DVD.

freeagent
    Free Member

I do watch a bit, mostly ‘cos we have little kids and don’t get out much in the evenings.
    However if I had to choose – TV or Web the telly would be gone in a instant, and i doubt I’d miss it.

hh45
    Free Member

Hardly anything but 10 o Clock news and Newsnight. Spend more time in web or reading or out drinking. I just think its a complete waste of someone’s life watching telly. Reality crap, property $hite, fly on wall guff, all total bobbins. Sometimes I think I’d like to get satellite so I can watch the cycling but most times I would rather be out riding.

boltonjon

but most times I would rather be out riding.

To right

So, the Discovery Channel, programes like Earthflight, Blue Planet & Planet Earth are a waste of life?

Add to that sporting events – a plethora available, just choose which you are into, factual programmes, comedy programmes, educational prgrammes – hell, even mindless junk if you want to zone out occassionally. Of course there’s plenty of total crap on it as well.

TV is great – I don’t watch that much of it to be honest, but the blinkered approach of those that seem to have some grievance with it amuses me. The iPlayer fad amuses me too – guess what; with a Sky box, you can actually record whatever you want to watch on absolutely any channel, rather than what the BBC choose to stick on iPlayer. I’d much prefer to watch something interesting on a 40″ tv than a 15″ laptop too.

MSP

I have done without broadcast TV for about 18 months, I get the BBC natural history stuff on blue-ray (which is far better quality than hidef broadast), download or buy dvd’s of the good American TV series and download the odd bit of sport and watch the odd film on dvd nothing much else interests me really.

The downside is missing some programs or films that might actually be quite good, but doesn’t capture my interest from the description or trailers. But I think the upside of not just getting home and turning the box on, having it just suck away time, far outweighs the downside.

samuri
    Free Member

My wife would explode if she couldn’t watch soaps and reality crap pretty much every day.

I like watching films that I deliberately record and funny programs. I watch F1 on my computer and very occassionally will watch cycle racing. That’s about it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I couldn’t manage without Family Guy and Lois’s dirty laugh.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgDeL8cUTxw[/video]

alpin
    Free Member

don’t have a TV at home. german broadcasting is worse than that in the UK and the license fee is something like 20€ a month.

unfortunately iplayer & 4oD aren’t available here (i don’t know why they don’t just charge a small fee for each programme downloaded), but i’ll watch the odd nature prog on the web.

don’t miss having a TV and feel superior to those that do.

don’t miss having a TV and feel superior to those that do.

This is what amuses me – I don’t know if that was said tongue in cheek, but that’s the general impression I get from anyone who doesn’t have a TV.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Does anybody here not watch TV?’ is closed to new replies.