Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Document Management on a Mac?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I have been running Paperport Pro on my PC for years (since v4 iirc)

I have finally managed to migrate all my applications from PC to Mac but Paperport is the only one I can’t really crack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar program that will work with TWAIN?

zilog6128

A lot of people seem to rate DEVONthink Pro Office.

What exactly do you need from your documents when they’re scanned? If it’s minimal, you could just leave them in a folder in Finder, where they’re searchable and categorisable (using tags). One of the things that struck me straight away when I moved over to a Mac was how much better (and quicker!) Finder was than Windows Explorer for searching.

slowjo
    Free Member

I don’t do much with them, simply storing scanned dox as .pdfs and viewing them within a fairly conventional hierarchical folder structure. What I find most useful is the ability to view the documents as thumbnail images.

Sandwich

Quick Look is your friend on that. Highlight file and hit space bar. Having the finder window organised in list mode you can then use the up/down arrows to see the next file without leaving quick view.

zilog6128

Yep, or you can view the PDFs as icons (which will show them as thumbnails) and then use the little scrollbar in the bottom right corner to make them a bit bigger.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have a copy of my records on an external HDD so can have try. Now to find out how to scan into the Mac using TWAIN. I am sure it is simple……

zilog6128

Of course, there is a built in app called Image Capture you can use 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a document imaging bureau and can safely say that Macs used to be ignored if you wanted to scan using anything with a feeder and certainly not the scanners we use – this was the reason I had to move away from Macs 14 years ago 🙁
    I’ve moved back to Apple for all the family computers though 🙂
    Try and save your PDFs as ‘image and text’ if your software allows it. This will OCR what text it can and hide it under the scanned image so, although your looking at the scanned image, you can do a full text search of the document (or any other PDF on your system).
    The Mac’s indexing system should be able to process these PDFs which could make finding the right file much easier.

slowjo
    Free Member

Cool…thanks @sharkbait and everyone else too!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Document Management on a Mac?’ is closed to new replies.