Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Do you take supplements and why?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

creaky knees and lack of sunlight have got me thinking about taking well, something for creaky knees and Vitamin D in oil form. Decent idea or waste of money?

jimjam
    Free Member

I take omega 3 because I doubt I get enough of it in my diet. I also take a protein shake if I’ve been out on the bike for a big session as it directly affects whether or not my legs will be sore in the days following said ride.

People will doubtless be along to tell you that all supplements are a pointless waste of money and that you should get everything you need from your diet, which is a fine principal assuming you have the time and discipline to eat perfectly.

willard

I used to take glucosamine on a daily basis,, but I’m not sure whether it actually had any benefit to my creaky knees.

Right now I take a single multivitamin thing (more for B complex vitamins than anything else) and take whey protein after I’ve been to the gym. It seems to help recovery a bit and, at my advancing age, I’ll take just about anything that can stop me feeling achey.

Haze

Normally wouldn’t bother, but immunologist has suggested vitamin D to give my immune system a little boost…400 iu per day…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Creatine here, does what it says on the tin, plenty of evidence to back it up. Without doubt the best thing i ever did was clean up my diet and pack up the booze, never felt better. 52 years young.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not sure if you’d call multi vitamins supplements but I’ve been taking Berocca daily for 10+ years, massively reduces my susceptability to colds for example.

Indeed erecting comments above about protein drinks and aches. If ibuprofen was a supplement I would have had to mention that !

loddrik
    Free Member

Bacon sandwiches here.

willard

You mean WHO-certified-death-meat? Is that like taking small doses of poisons to make yourself immune?

footflaps

Quite a few…

Creatine, Whey Protein powder, Cod liver oil, Calcium & Magnesium, BCAAs

All weight lifting related, mainly aimed at maximising recovery (being old).

deadkenny
    Free Member

but I’ve been taking Berocca daily for 10+ years, massively reduces my susceptability to colds for example.

Going freelance, working from home and time off “on the bench” massively reduced mine.

Basically, less time in a stuffy office full of people with snotty colds 😀

Oh and riding bikes loads.

Supplements – as much as there are plenty of articles from the industry providing evidence that they work, there’s plenty of articles from peer reviewed independent scientists not financially involved in the industry that says mostly the opposite. Mostly. There are some that have some benefits to some people. A lot of people are taking supplements though that are of no benefit to them as they are not actually deficient. And yes, most of the essential vitamins you get from food, drink and sunlight more readily than from pills.

I’ve been down that route a little. Did crap all for me. Sorting out diet and exercising has worked amazingly though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

E(ggs)P(otatoes)O(ranges)

All taste like shite if placed in a blender together..

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

multi vitamins soluble type- make your pee neon and noticeable keeps the colds away / recovery faster
    ginseng- boost when feeling a bit run down
    lutein – dry eyes at certain times in the year

Sis go, haribo, energy gels, cheap flapjack , energy drink before long ride. Basically anything to keep going mentally and physically.

As said exercise had a positive effect on my immune system

Sam

B12, Krill oil, Creatine and Beta-Alanine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Tempted to take Glucosamine for knee pain due to running. Interested if anyone has used it successfully before I waste my money.

kimbers

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope, as far as I am concerned I get enough of what I need in my diet. I think it is all nonsense and not required unless you have particular health needs (such as being on a restricted diet due to food intolerances) in order to get the required vitamins.

I do not think I am any more or less healthy than the next person.

mildbore

Been taking glucosamine for a few years now, I’m 60 and have no cartilage in my left knee. I’m also veggie so don’t get much through my usual (healthy) diet. I reckon it has a positive effect but it’s such a long-term thing it’s hard to tell for sure. How do I know how I’d be without it? I tend to be sceptical about medication/supplements and occasionally stop taking it, did so recently and it seemed to start getting worse so I’ve started again.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Nope, eat healthy diet and job done. don’t waste your money unless you particularly want to change something about your physique or have a medical issue to support and even then, finding a food source is likely better than anything in a tin.

jimdubleyou

I was on glucosamine for a while when I had dodgy knees. Don’t bother now that the knees are (mostly) fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Beer and some straight single malt

geoffj

stevious

Link to interactive version of Snake Oil infographic:

Snake oil

No supplements for me apart from the occasional protein shake mix if I’m out of milk.

Travis

Vitamin D and Calcium, as I have had a couple of small broken bones, which happened under very little stress and no impact.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Vitamins M,T,F and U.

slowoldman

Bacon sandwiches here.

You mean WHO-certified-death-meat? Is that like taking small doses of poisons to make yourself immune?[/quote]
    On that basis I reckon a couple of bacon sarnies a week will help me fight off cancer. Along with large quantities of anti-oxidants (red wine).

I’m intrigued by the creaky knees/vitamin D thing. I wasn’t aware of the link, but I do have creaky knees.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Vitamin D3 10,000 iu, Fish Oil, Multi Vitamin and a probiotic. Pleasingly enough all the stuff at the top of the Snake Oil chart with the exception of multi vitamins. Why? Dr Rhonda Patrick on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. Definitely worth a listen.

Interesting to see the qualifications of the naysayers and how recently they’ve had their bloodwork done

hugo
    Free Member

Whey protein – I try and have 200g+ of protein a day and this is a cheap and convenient watway of hitting that target.

Omega 3 – anti inflammatory, recovery, good evidence

Vitamin D – well I did when I lived in the north of England, especially in winter.

Creatine – good evidence, naturally occurring substance, helps recovery, well tested

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Vit D in the autumn/winter

Omega 3 for the joints.

Turmeric/black pepper/O Oil for anti-inflammation (metal strut in my back attached to my spine)

Pumpkin seeds (bladder getting on a bit)

Hypericum Perforatum (Misery from S.A.D)

Protein shakes (post-ride)

Cocodamel/Ibuprofen (just for fun)

Beer (oh, wait…)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Fish oil, for my hereditary high colestoral and because it improves my mood (I don’t know why).

Jamz
    Free Member

Cod liver oil daily because it’s highly nutritious. Plenty of fat soluble vitamins including the all important Vitamin D in a wholly natural form.

Check out Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver oil as the very best supplement you can spend you money on (and probably the only one you need if you’re eating properly).

Link to more info on fermented Cod Liver Oil (Weston A. Price website)

cinnamon_girl

It needs to be Vitamin D3.

kayak23

Just had a blood test back and I scored 19 for vitamin D, where 50 is about where you should be apparently….
    Guess I’ll be looking into this.

nedrapier

My Dad’s spent the last 25 years going through pretty much everything available in an attempt to improve his condition (fibromyalgia, CFS, injuries not healing)

One variable at a time, scientific method medical/biochemistry papers scoured, down the rabbit hole of ever-increasing, baffling complexity.

The key for him was finding out through trial an error what he was short of that was holding up, at various points, the processing of toxins in his body. Toxins (which can just be from exercise), if they can’t be dealt with, can be locked away by the body in fatty tissue and mineral deposits in connective tissues. The other key was vaso-dilators, as the mineral deposits tend to be in places with poor blood supply.

He’s currently on chelated zinc and magnesium, B6 and B12, and some fancy immune response-modifying collagen supplements, probably a few other things too.

Massively slow process, pain always accompanies increased repair, might be a few months between trying something new and finding out if the increased pain is good, or if he’s ballsed up.

Bizarre but true, decades-old injuries have been healing in reverse order, he’s only got a few left to go. Then he’s going to be aging in the standard direction again!

Kryton57

Creatine here, does what it says on the tin, plenty of evidence to back it up

Which is what for a health benefit – genuine question? I understood it contributes to building lean muscle if exercising, retains water & therefore adds bulk & weight.

cinnamon_girl

@ nedrapier – this link may be useful, as may your father getting his FT3 tested:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Main_Page

footflaps

I understood it contributes to building lean muscle if exercising, retains water & therefore adds bulk & weight.

That’s more a side affect, it helps muscles repair themselves, so you recover quicker, and it used as an energy source for explosive power (ATP).

Only real downside is that some people respond better to it that others, so for some it has no affect and they’re just wasting their money (although it’s really cheap).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2649889/

Northwind

Adcal so I don’t crumble to dust

nedrapier

And that chart needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt. you need to spend quite a bit of time on it to get value out of it.

Quite a few things on both sides of the “worth it” line, depending on what they’ve been tested as effective against.

Kryton57

That’s more a side affect, it helps muscles repair themselves, so you recover quicker, and it used as an energy source for explosive power (ATP).

Thanks Footflaps. So would it be useful to be taking it through winter training, then ditch it – and the weight – come race season?

I’ve used it before (Rugby), so I know it works for lean muscle gain but also inflates me by about 3/4 stone.

cinnamon_girl

Latest topic from the one and only Dr K who always cuts through the crap:

Changing the definition of Familial Hypercholesterolaemia

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Do you take supplements and why?’ is closed to new replies.