Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Do you reject conventional wisdom?
  • DrP

It would be better to do this experiment

1. take a can and open it
    2. take a can, flick it, then open it.

Is there any noticeable difference?

Well, a settled can should have the same result.
    However, a slightly shook (? a word) can would benefit from a bit of tapping…

DrP

brakes
    Free Member

right. I’m going to try this this evening with two cans of coke that have been sat in my fridge. one will get a slight shake before opening; both will be tapped.

emsz
    Free Member

I have been defying conventional wisdom for years. The ability to sing shame on a nigga when very pissed is desirable and attractive. My high score on Halo Reach is not a sign of a wasted weekend it is perfecting my eye hand co-ordination, and the ability to eat 3 slices of of Amin’s mega hot triple chilli challenge pizza is going on my CV.

Am I single..? yes, how did you know… 😐

DrP

Shake both (lightly) and tap just one…
    The tapped one should fizz less…

DrP

(this’ll all go wrong now, I bet!!)

EDIT – not ‘fizz less’ per-se, but not fizz over…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The ability to sing shame on a nigga

Tarantino’s writing songs, now? 😯

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Putting salt in water to make your pot boil quicker by lowering the BP, it only works if you put shit loads of salt in, like seawater levels.

nedrapier

brakes. I can barely contain myself. Is there a live web feed? If not (why not?) what time will you be posting your findings?

Let me know if you need an independent adjudicator. I can bring my own blazer and clipboard.

scaredypants

pffft (after a tap on the lid, obvz)

I eschew all wisdom, conventional and otherwise

brakes
    Free Member

I can bring my own blazer and clipboard.

and a calibrated stopwatch?

bones
    Free Member

Putting salt in water to make your pot boil quicker by lowering the BP, it only works if you put shit loads of salt in, like seawater levels.

I thought that was just to season the pot contents – doesn’t salt raise the boiling point?

molgrips
    Free Member

Salt lowers it, which then takes longer to cook the food in theory because the water is cooler.

However the effect is negligible without stupid quantities, it seems.

ahwiles
    Free Member

talking of salt, and rejecting conventional wisdom.

i eat chuffing loads of the stuff – we’re told this is bad, but i don’t believe a word of it, even if it’s true.

slowoldman

I’ve always cheerfully ignored the conventional “wisdom” that is the latest advice on food. I eat a fairly balanced diet, not too much of anything in particular and now and then drink too much.

bob_summers

Being cold or wet gives you a cold or flu.

Constantly nagged by my inlaws that my son is not wearing enough clothes. Sometimes when I pick him up from there he looks like the michelin man, unable to get his arms into the pushchair as they stick rigid out the sides 😯

wordnumb
    Free Member

Rejecting conventional wisdom is the new conventional wisdom, consequently I reject rejecting conventional wisdom.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

“JUST BECAUSE I HAVEN’T DONE IT YOUR WAY , DOESN’T MEAN I’VE DONE IT THE WRONG WAY”.

I’ve said this a lot in my life, particularly due to my inability to articulate “my way of thinking”.

” You defy logic” they say…

Yeah, their logic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always take the least controversial viewpoint. That’s why I never argue.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also like to post things twice, apparently.

Cougar

I’m going to try this this evening with two cans of coke that have been sat in my fridge. one will get a slight shake before opening; both will be tapped

No. Shake both, tap one.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Madernat8om dends tou vlind

scaredypants

molgrips – Member
    Salt lowers it

got any reputable sauce for that Moly ?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Strange example given by OP – ie being weakened/unhealthy by being overweight and badly nourished vs being weakened/unhealthy by being underweight and badly nourished. – surely both are conventionallly unwise?

philjunior
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling-point_elevation

Boiling point raises with added salt.

I had heard that you put the salt in to elevate the boiling point and hence cook your food faster. But never really believed it made any practical difference.

yunki
    Free Member

I was thinking about the salt thing earlier while I was heating a pan of water to cook some pasta..
    As soon as I added salt the water began to boil.. This is often the case
    What’s the science behind that?

I will continue to believe my eyes rather than some debateable boffin spraff..
    We all believe in goats but it’s never taken years of scientific experiments and research to prove their existence

Cougar

What’s the science behind that?

Probably about to boil anyway. As others have said, adding a pinch of salt does nothing practical for the boiling point temperature.

brakes
    Free Member

No. Shake both, tap one

it’s my experiment matey.
    but you’re probably right.

yunki
    Free Member

Hmm.. Admittedly it was about to expel a bubble or two, but the salt just kicked it into an instant boil..

There must be a reason for that

Drac

Did it boil or did it just bubble more as you chucked something into hot water.

http://chemistry.about.com/od/foodchemistryfaqs/f/Does-Adding-Salt-Lower-The-Boiling-Point-Of-Water.htm

yunki
    Free Member

It bubbled more.. Significantly more, whether that’s got anything to do with temperature I don’t pretend to have a clue..

Is it surface tension or summink then?

(FWIW dried pasta deffo lowers the boiling point of water 🙂 )

Drac

Is it surface tension or summink then?

Pretty much yes.

scaredypants

gives the bubbles something to form around
    like putting sugar/salt into fizzy pop

Cougar

There’s a thing where bubbles form at ‘points’ which can be imperfections in vessel. I forget the term, but it’s why you get bubbles clinging to the sides of a glass; it’s also how those chemical heat pads with the ‘snapper’ in them work. I wonder if that’s what’s happening here (confirmation bias aside) – the water bubbles not because the salt has changed the boiling point, but because it has corners. Might be interesting to see what happens if you do the same when adding a pre-dissolved salt solution.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nucleation.

DrP

That’s the one. I remember in chemistry you or little stones into solutions you were biking, to make lots of little bubbles instead of manic huge bubbles that burped the shakeout chemicals over your face…

Has anyone done the can experiment yet?

DrP

cloudnine
    Free Member

So.. i boiled my cans of coke in salt water then burnt my hand trying to flick the top.
    What was the question?

Drac

I think.

Does it fizz faster when boiled in a salt solution.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, AGW is a good start.

DrP

My previous thread is nonsense, due to autocorrect. And my laziness in checking auto correct…

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

I just cut the 680mm bars on my El Mar build down to 630 – feels right, but I’m told it’s wrong!

winston
    Free Member

Molgrips, call that contrarian? Pah! I’m just about to assemble a rigid aluminum 27 speed 26″er with 600mm flat bars, bar ends and a thudbuster st all out of new parts.

Oh yeah, and a looooooong stem too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Do you reject conventional wisdom?’ is closed to new replies.