Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Do you put your children on social media?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How can they become international super spies if they’re already out there.

Quite.

8)

poah
    Free Member

Not sure that’s actually true. I can think of an example where a woman was photographed at a conference, the photo was then used without her permission on a website. She kicked off, had the photo removed and was quids in

depends on how the image was used and where.

And that’s before you get on to the subject of children.

age is utterly irrlevent

piemonster

age is utterly irrlevent

I’m not sure a 1 year old is best placed to agree to their images use by a photographer

bearnecessities

Careful PM, you’re getting dragged in!

I think the point being made is that there are a squillion images of every human, fish and tree, at any age, available online.

The web is already at saturation point of everything!

garage-dweller

We don’t although I might mention their antics on here in broad terms.

I don’t understand well enough what other people could do with pictures of/ information about my children from being posted on Facebook etc (tagging etc.) or I might set my security up wrong, so I go ultra cautious and Fb and twitter are for my use only and we share pics/updates through direct communication.

Probably more paranoid than many about this but that’s my perogative as a parent.At their age it isn’t cramping their style or social development so better safe than sorry.

divenwob
    Free Member

I think you need to be a parent to understand how you feel about the situation,a bit like not voting and then whingeing.

thered

Oh, sorry. I appear to have posted something which has been posted before. I didn’t realise, but I feel stupid now. I guess that’s the first time it’s happened on STW. Is there a punishment that’ll now be meted out to me, or will I just have tossers spamming the thread telling me what they would and wouldn’t like to read whilst simultaneously failing to realise that they could easily have ignored it.

I like this post and would vote for it, if it was a cute baby I’d post it on FB. If I was offended by such behaviour, I wouldn’t look at it.

poah
    Free Member

I’m not sure a 1 year old is best placed to agree to their images use by a photographer

Thats not what I ment. it doesn’t matter if the person is 1, 10 or 18 the law regarding using photographs is the same.

I think you need to be a parent to understand how you feel about the situation

I am a parent and used to be a photographer

here are my kids

nealglover
    Free Member

I think you need to be a parent to understand how you feel about the situation.

In my case, and many others, being a parent doesn’t mean that you understand or agree.

And I’m not sure not being a parent would preclude someone from understanding of agreeing.

So in conclusion, no. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

used to be a photographer

>Presents picture with one subjects face obscured and blown highlights.

😉

At least you cleaned the EXIF

konabunny
    Free Member

the thing is you might decide that it’s silly paranoia for your kids but you don’t know other kids’ positions. they could be kids of abusive or stalker parents, kids under local authority care, kids in the UK whose parents are being threatened or harassed by overseas governments, kids whose parents are dealing with organized crime groups… You might think these are unusual but in my network (inc FOF or FOFOF) I know such people, and they are out there. and I’m not even a teacher or social worker that would really come into contact with such kids often

and if you say that all our sports team is going to be photographed and put on Facebook, you’re sort of saying you don’t want those kids playing, or at least that if they want to play, they have to accept the risk

divenwob
    Free Member

Sorry,didnt come across quite as intended, I have 3 kids and I think we have been quite restrictive in the use of there images online ,mainly out of respect for them, there is a big difference between F.B and a family album.How many of us have had our pics put in the public domain to the extent of which the current generation find acceptable? It seems to be the norm now but how many will get bitten in the arse? What does it take to remove yourself from the net if you wanted?

DrJ

here are my kids

/hides under table and waits for world to end

convert

Why does anyone go to the trouble and expense of getting their baby photographed? They all look the bloody same! Just download a stock photo from the internet and put that in a frame – no one will be any the wiser.

convert

It seems to be the norm now but how many will get bitten in the arse?

There is a big difference between having a photo of yourself with your head down the bog, ravishing some young strumpet or kicking off at a protest march plastered across the internet prejudicing job interviews etc and a random anonymous baby photo against a generic background. What do all the worriers think might happen to a photo like that published without identity on a photographer’s site that will in some way affect the baby in question? Where do you think the abuse will come from? Refusing the photographer permission in that context puts you in the bedwetter camp imo.

divenwob
    Free Member

How many realise that they are posting without removing the data,does Nanna know what to/not to post? I do not know how to safely post pics so choose not to.

Drac

What data is that then?

The one telling you what it was taken on and the ISO?

divenwob
    Free Member

Are we not in the era of GPS tagging,time,date?

convert

How many realise that they are posting without removing the data

Well if it’s facebook we are talking about all EXIF/META data is stripped automatically on upload. Yes, that includes GPS etc.

Drac

Are we not in the era of GPS tagging,time,date?

Only if you use a camera that tags it and really what is the concern there anyway. The software receiving the pic also has to be setup to store the data, not all are.

divenwob
    Free Member

Thats a good thing,in the context that was given by the OP, I would probably allow the pics to be shown on the photographers site,they are only trying to promote their handywork and are complimenting your kids at the same time.To be fair,we dont all have the knowledge or time to keep up with the features of tech and therefore a lot of people shy away from it,or go for it,blissfully unaware.

Cougar

You did the right thing.

The only people who want to see baby photos are people related to said baby, the rest of the Internet will go “oh FFS” and scroll on past to a picture of a rabbit with a pancake on its head.

(In seriousness, I’m not really seeing the problem. If you go out with them, dozens of complete strangers will see the kids and know exactly what they look like, what they’re wearing, who they’re with and where they are. The only difference with a photo is that they’re not there any more.)

konabunny
    Free Member

right, but we are living in a world in which facial recognition software and the vast aggregation of data are not just possible but integral to the operation of social media.

there’s a limit to how many faces I (or a Stasi agent) can remember and for how long and what other data I can cross refer it to, but Facebook’s ability is another kettle of fish.

Cougar

So?

convert

right, but we are living in a world in which facial recognition software and the vast aggregation of data are not just possible but integral to the operation of social media.

there’s a limit to how many faces I (or a Stasi agent) can remember and for how long and what other data I can cross refer it to, but Facebook’s ability is another kettle of fish.

I refer you to my original question – ‘What do all the worriers think might happen to a photo like that published without identity on a photographer’s site that will in some way affect the baby in question? Where do you think the abuse will come from?’

Re facebook – yes friends can tag you in photos that you might not appreciate but it’s dead simple to review and remove the tags, even from photos you were tagged in years ago. It’s also incredibly easy to change your account privacy settings to prevent anyone ever tagging you if you felt so inclined.

Drac

Never know when Spectre might want to take a hit on your kids. Even worse when Cyberdine system 101 comes back he can just use Facebook now to stop your kid leading the resistance.

matt_outandabout

😆

DrJ

There is a big difference between having a photo of yourself […] ravishing some young strumpet

If anyone has a photo of me ravishing a young strumpet, please step forward. I have no recollection of the event, but I’m happy to have my memory jogged.

convert

🙂

poah
    Free Member

used to be a photographer
    >Presents picture with one subjects face obscured and blown highlights.
    At least you cleaned the EXIF

sorry the wife’s iPhone doesn’t have the dynamic range of my old
    FF canon sensor 🙁

I never stripped the exit out of my pics, that’s Facebook for you

poah
    Free Member

divenwob – Member
    How many realise that they are posting without removing the data,does Nanna know what to/not to post? I do not know how to safely post pics so choose not to.

not sure what people will do with the camera settings used to take the photo but yeah I’m sure there is some perv out there that tosses off to meta data

jambalaya
    Free Member

As my kids are now in their 20’s it was never an issue, they joined social media on their own. Most of my friends with kids have pictures of their families on Facebook pretty much right from birth. Likewise those with grand kids

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

sorry poah, didn’t mean to be too rude 🙂

EXIF is important though – if you are going to share pics of your kids, taken with a phone or other device with GPS, then you should be careful where they end up IMHO.

poah
    Free Member

EXIF is important though – if you are going to share pics of your kids, taken with a phone or other device with GPS, then you should be careful where they end up IMHO

why?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

‘Cos you might not want people to know where you and they live / hang out?

Like the privacy zone on Strava*

*I don’t actually use Strava, you couldn’t handle it 😉

gobuchul
    Free Member

There is a lot of paranoia on this thread.

This is why kids don’t go and ride bikes by themselves, play in the woods, go fishing etc.

Everyone seems to think the World is full of peado’s. It’s not. Nothing has changed since the 1970’s when I was young.

When I was 8 I used to walk about a mile to the local swimming baths with my mates and go swimming. Nothing happened. Imagine suggesting that an 8 year old would be safe going to a swimming pool without an adult today?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Something has changed…. The dissemination of information.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Something has changed…. The dissemination of information.

So you think that social media has increased the frequency of child abuse? 🙄

takisawa2

As a Scout leader we sometimes have children who can’t appear on photographs full stop, for various reasons, including legal ones sometimes. You just keep it in mind before taking pics. Obviously, you just need to be careful about taking photos, so the kids don’t notice your singling anyone out. It’s certainly not our place to question it.
    I’m doing our display board at the moment, & each child has a little characature with their face on to mark their progress, but one or two are left blank. For Beavers, I try to get a mugshot, as (God forbid), if one ever gets lost on a trip out, we have a pic on hand for obvious reasons.

We use social media but only in a closed group with as leader as admin & everything locked down, so any posts get vetted before they appear. It can be a bit OTT but you have to respect people’s wishes.
    My children are on FB occasionally, but I’d be very concerned if an adult shared or tagged them specifically, especially at a young age.
    As regards using pics for a web site, I’d probably not see it as s problem.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So you think that social media has increased the frequency of child abuse

No I didn’t say that.

I said that the dissemination of information we now have with the internet

has changed since the 1970’s

Because it has.

You will, however, note that a lot of child abuse is in some way connected to the internet.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Do you put your children on social media?’ is closed to new replies.