Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Do you listen to music when you are riding?
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Off road, no.
    On the road, yes. I live in an area where there is very little traffic and I don’t like my music super loud anyway.
    Tried to have music on in a 24hour race, but felt anti-social and turned it off.

I find having music on on the road bike a good way of telling if I’m getting a good workout. If I realise I’m singing, I’m not working hard enough.

aw
    Free Member

I do always on the road. I thought it dangerous at first but now I have taught myself to look more…I can really get in the zone when training with the i pod with some Pendulum or fat boy slim blasting out. I believe it makes me cycle faster!

Never tried it off road…

Jamie
    Free Member

Always when on my tod. Mostly audiobooks or podcasts more than tunes tho.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Never. I find it’s vital to be able to hear vehicles coming up behind me (especially big ones). If the first I knew about it was when the lorry was level with my handle bars, and about 6 inches from them, I might wobble. Off road, you never know what’s round the next corner. Hearing someone in front of you on a blind corner has saved me from hitting them before. Part of what I enjoy about biking is the total immersion and concentration, which paradoxically clears my head. I couldn’t properly ride and properly listen at the same time.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I always listen to music when commuting. If it was loud enough that the first i new of a lorry etc, was when it was level with me i would be worried i was deaf. I find the noise from the air to be just as loud when riding at speed on the roads anyway.

snowslave

Never no way never

caledonia
    Free Member

Off Road – Nope
    On Road – Yarp !

Coyote
    Free Member

On road – always. Keep you wits about you and you’ll be fine. Off road, sometimes.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

no way – you cant beat the sound of being outside, listening to music would dull the overal sensory experience for me!

njee20
    Free Member

I just don’t understand the ‘it’s dangerous, you need to be able to hear traffic coming up behind you’ thing. How do you tell the difference between the sound of a car that’s going to approach and pass you safely, vs the one which is gonna mow you down? Do you get off the road whenever a car approaches, just in case?

I find the wind noise without headphones makes it harder to hear cars anyway, eliminating that and listening to music means I can hear cars better. Anyone who doesn’t check over their shoulder before turning is a moron anyway, irrespective of whether they’ve got the hearing of an owl or are stone deaf!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Do you listen to music when you are riding?’ is closed to new replies.