Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)
  • Do you give money to beggars?
  • nickc

There is a legitimate debate about whether it is actually helping in the best way possible.

aye probably, but TBH I’m not really interested. Money is a tool, I can earn it, and spend/give it to whom I choose. If that’s a fiver to someone down on their luck, then it probably means more to them than me, might get scammed occasionally, but I’ll take a chance, and the world hasn’t stopped, nor am I really troubled if that’s happened.

I don’t buy food I give money, and once I’ve given money to someone, my belief is what they do with that money is their business and their business only, and I don’t get a say.

seosamh77
    Free Member

once in a blue moon, aye.

footflaps

Most people are only a few unfortunate turn of events from ending up on the street.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Terry Wrist – Member
    if i was homeless i’d probably get pissed to numb the pain.
    +1, I don’t reckon it’s a lifestyle choice or a great laugh TBH.

I’m not homeless and I get pissed! not sure what we can decipher from that information mind, other than a lot people like to get pissed regardless of circumstance! 😆

cokie

A tea/coffee and fish&chips is our standard offering. Usually my better half and I ask what they want.

You can always pick those in real need out. I couldn’t believe some of the unfortunate guys in Edinburgh at Christmas. Lots with very little clothing in -1 rain. Filthy and lots of cuts. Feel really sorry for them. There’s just so much you can do 😥

seosamh77
    Free Member

cokie – Member
    A tea/coffee and fish&chips is our standard offering

What if they are on a strict vegan diet? 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I occasionally give change. If I’m out with MrsSalmon she will often buy them some food instead.

The guy who asked for spare change as he came of the bookies the other day didn’t get anything though.

BoardinBob

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPdqtktkZn0[/video]

seosamh77
    Free Member

that video is a pile of contrived **** btw. I’m surprised there’s not actors credits at the end! 😆

siwhite
    Free Member

You’ve got a fiver to your name. Do you buy a) a half bottle of vodka or b) one percent of a four-season RAB sleeping bag? What do you think he’s going to do, pop it in his savings account, maybe set up an ISA? Or hey, maybe he had some nice bedding and cooking facilities, until last week when someone kicked his head in for them?

Or, a quarter of an army surplus sleeping bag from eBay? A postal address might be an issue, I grant you…

BoardinBob

that video is a pile of contrived **** btw

Could well be, but the message is right

verses

I’ve always been told;
    – giving money gets spent on booze/drugs
    – giving food/drink just leaves them with more begging money to spend on booze/drugs as they don’t need to spend any of it on grub.

It seems that donating to Shelter or your local homeless support organisation is the best route for genuinely helping people.

nickc

that video is a pile of contrived **** btw.

so what?

bigad40
    Free Member

I have low self esteem which sank lower last week when the big issue seller blanked me.

yunki
    Free Member

I think perhaps one of the kindest things you could offer is a nice hot bath, some good home cooked food, a few glasses of wine, clean clothes, a warm bed for the night and perhaps a bit of rumpy pumpy..

cheekyboy
    Free Member

No problem with giving out the odd quid once a month on my monthly pilgrimage to Manchester centre, I dont really G A S what they spend it on, I wouldnt want to be in their shoes.

jota180
    Free Member

I do – not much usually, a quid or so

I don’t really care if 9 out of 10 of them are just on the take as long as I get a legitimate one sometimes, I’m OK with it.

Lifer
    Free Member

yunki – Member

I think perhaps one of the kindest things you could offer is a nice hot bath, some good home cooked food, a few glasses of wine, clean clothes, a warm bed for the night and perhaps a bit of rumpy pumpy..

There’s a ‘How Not To Live Your Life’ episode which deals with this very subject.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9lv_0LSHvM[/video]

loddrik
    Free Member

As I say to any beggar

“that sounds like a great idea, I’ll earn it, you spend it….”

I work in town at the weekend, I can guarantee that all of the ones I see are herion addicts or alcoholics, I see the same collection of them week after week, month after month, year after year. ‘Preying’ on people who are too drunk to have the sense to say **** off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I also donate to Shelter.

Did you hear me STW? I said, “I DONATE TO SHELTER!!”

lemonysam
    Free Member

Pretty sure that Silent Witness covered why this wasn’t a fantastic idea a couple of weeks back.

wrecker
    Free Member

I do. They can do what they like with it, there are no conditions with a gift.
    Even this chappie would get some;

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s on the daily mail so I won’t post the link but there was a story last week about a guy doing the same in London. Begging every day and then pics on his instagram of his holidays in Ibiza.

bin’dun 120yrs before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_the_Twisted_Lip

TPTcruiser

Big Issue buyer, not many reviews of bikes in it though.

yunki
    Free Member

Lifer – on a similar note

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l1n53L5bhQ[/video]

Pretty sure that Silent Witness covered why this wasn’t a fantastic idea a couple of weeks back

Dunno how to break it to you but Silent Witness is a fictional TV series..
    I have taken homeless folk back to my gaff for some creature comforts on a couple of occasions and experienced nothing more worrying than sincere gratitude and interesting anecdotes..

Sundayjumper

You’ve clearly never been a drug addict. Drugs are pretty bloody important to a drug addict.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nickc – Member
    that video is a pile of contrived **** btw.

so what?I think I conveyed the entirety of my thoughts in my first comment! 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m not homeless and I get pissed!

that’s 🙄 perfectly acceptable.

deluded
    Free Member

I have done.

Most people are only a few unfortunate turn of events from ending up on the street.

^^^ Glad someone posted that and worth repeating – never a truer a word spoken on this forum. To think otherwise would be utter folly. The line between some of our cosey STW lifestyles and homeless/impoverished despair is paper thin. No-one’s above life and what it can throw at you at any stage … or deal to you from the start.

seosamh77
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member
    I’m not homeless and I get pissed!
    that’s perfectly acceptable.

Me not being homeless? I would think so. Or have I just bumped into the STW temperance society? 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“They’ll only spend it on during, fags, and drugs”

How many of us here have not, in the past or currently, spent money on precisely that?

I’ve seen the professional beggars, easy to spot. But there’s only one in Farnborough that I see regularly, selling the Big Issue. I think she gets along fine.
    We did see a very desperate looking lady come into a pub in London once, asking people for change. When she came to us, she said she only needed another £13 or so to get a bed for the night. It was snowing. She looked terrified, a bit of a mess. We dug into our pockets and came up with something over £20, pretty much all our change we had left. She didn’t go round the rest of the pub (We were near the door) she just thanked us and left. I really hope she got a bed that night, I really do.

Moses

I can guarantee that all of the ones I see are herion addicts or alcoholics,

And that’s why I give money, they don’t have the ability to look after themselves without it.
    I pay my “Gloucester Road tax” to the Big Issue sellers, every time I do my shopping. At least I know it won’t end up in the Cayman Islands.

I’m an old bloke. Until the change of government in ’79, I had never seen a beggar in the UK. I was shocked when I went to Miami in ’77, the first time I’d seen street people in the West.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I give money to beggars when I can.
    I wouldn’t give money to shelter, they have a self serving agenda to make things look they way they want them to, so that they can perpetuate giving to their charity which pays the salaries of a good percentage of the workforce.
    I can’t think of a solution, but I don’t think I am in a position to moralise to people on the street about how I want to give money to them but know better than them, so will give it to a charity.
    I’m a confirmed atheist but I do believe in love they neighbour, and do unto others etc.

loddrik
    Free Member

On any given weekend I’ll see about 5 or 6 with legs missing in Liverpool city centre. From injecting, not IED’s and the like. Many of them have dogs, necessary to illicit sympathy from drunken dog lovers. Some of them ‘sleep’ at the top of Matthew St or by Concert Sq, not somewhere you are likely to get much rest on a Friday and Saturday night I can assure you.

If I’m sitting on the rank and there aren’t many people around, it’s surprising how many of these beggars can suddenly seem more dishevelled as soon as people approach…

eightyeight
    Free Member

can guarantee that all of the ones I see are herion addicts or alcoholics

This is sort of why I give them money. I know but for an accident of birth, or a decision along the way that could be me or anyone of my friends sat in the door way in minus 5.

Some (not all) are addicts; many will never recover from their current situation. Would I prefer they use donations to check into a hostel? Of course. Does that mean I should judge them when they use the £5 to buy a bottle of something so they can temporarily escape from a hardship that I can barely comprehend?

Cougar

“Would you employ them?”

yes, someone employed me when I came out of a remand center when I was 18.

You set me up for that, you toad. (-:

Funny how the word ‘homeless’ brings out prejudices in people, correction, its not funny!

Point was, if your average tramp wandered in to your average office block looking for work, I doubt many would do much other than move him on. Which is the problem, it’s catch 22. Some people (as ably demonstrated by Ton) would give them a chance, but I’d hazard that the majority wouldn’t give them the time of day. Probably the same ones who’d walk past them going “I’m not giving them food as they’ll only have more money to buy drugs, why don’t they get a job like everyone else?”

Fact is, it’s hard enough to get a job these days when you’ve got a confident outlook, skills and nice suit, rather than looking like a Father Christmas who’s just fallen into the drainage system.

Cougar

Would I prefer they use donations to check into a hostel? Of course. Does that mean I should judge them when they use the £5 to buy a bottle of something so they can temporarily escape from a hardship that I can barely comprehend?

Bingo.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I don’t give money but will buy them food, hot drinks and on occasion boots and socks. I am very wary of the professional beggar types.
    One of the main charities I give to is St Georges Crypt in Leeds that helps the homeless as I’ve known a few people who have slipped through the net and without the help of others would now be dead.

tomhoward

I was once eating some lunch on a bench in town, a chap came over and asked if I could spare some food, I offered him what was left but he turned it down!

Guess the homeless don’t have a taste for sushi…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I was on the receiving end ages and ages ago for 2 months 😯 , but i beg for fags (not money) outside shops and for some reason if I do wear a hoody 99% of the time they would give me a spare cigarette, was between job that time as my papers has some issues and Home office send it to the wrong old address of mine so my employer told me to sort it out and not to worry as my job is waiting for me..

I gave now when I have a spare in that particular moment (they always stay in my local carpark paying machine area)…tried not giving and try to justify my action about it in my head but still felt bad

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Do you give money to beggars?’ is closed to new replies.