Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Do we need more ‘middle ground’ trails?
  • matt_outandabout

Local exploring in the last year has shown we’ve got amazing local trails.

Easy routes & gravel style a plenty.

Gnarly Enduro steeps and DH style avec jumps and drops.

What’s lacking in quantity is the middle ground in some ways. The challenging, moderately technical, but not so steep I’m looking at my toes when standing at the top.

I’m not on about trail centre groomed surfaces either – thankfully we’ve got some of that if I want.

Or maybe I’m just expecting too much and get scared when my lads choose the steeps….

weeksy

Yes, it’s my 1 bugbear of what is ‘built’ these days, everything people build in the wilds are built with massive gaps in them etc, we can’t all do the big gaps so it’s a little frustrating for riders like me. I’m more of a blue/red sort of rider rather than a black guy and there’s just not that sort of stuff being built.

intheborders
    Free Member

Build them.

teethgrinder

We’re not lacking in them. You’re just in the wrong place.

guest1
    Free Member

So, you are complaining that other people who spend their spare time building trails haven’t taken your skillset into consideration?
    Trails don’t appear overnight by trail fairies- perhaps you could get off your backside and build something yourself?.

Entitled much?

jedi

You mean at trail centers or in the wild? In the wild we build to the surrounding terrain and skill set. If all trail builders mates are at a certain level, this usually dictates the build level of the trail

5lab

I’d like to see more challenging trails near here. Doubles, gaps, rock gardens? more the merrier. everyone else could just get better 😉

duncancallum

I’ll stick my oar in I get if you didn’t build it dont whinge but I think the rise of the more extreme cheeky is sometimes the reason its flattened as it’s very obvious and to a bystander sketchy and a hse nightmare.

weeksy

Who says he doesn’t build ?

He may build many trails… but they get rebuilt, they get modified, it happens a lot round here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Build them.

This.

Most of the folk that build locally are generally young or folks that love big air, not just because they’re young, but there is very little in the way of official trails anywhere in Scotland for them to go and do just that.

They tend to build, ride, go elsewhere and it falls into disrepair til the next lot come along and start the loop again.

I’d love to go to my local landowner and use DMBiS help to advocate and assist in official trails, but I know they won’t be up for it as there is no money in it for them, and that’s all they’re interested in, so I’ll continue to sculpt trails through their god awful larch forest. or even better their ugly, vandalised felled areas.

Be great if we had a proper country wide MTB organisation that organised dig days, every member gave a day or two a year of their time, imagine.

Trimix
    Free Member

Where is your local patch ? Perhaps there are some that suit you close, but you haven’t yet found them.

You will have to do something to make your circumstances change – either raise your skills / change your bike / build some trails / try a different riding spot.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you need to change your kids.

There’s plenty of mellower trails in your bit of Scotland, they’re obviously just not letting you ride them.

IHN

What’s lacking in quantity is the middle ground in some ways. The challenging, moderately technical, but not so steep I’m looking at my toes when standing at the top.

So the stuff that formed the predominance of ‘natural’ riding, before people decided they had to build stuff or ride built stuff?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So the stuff that formed the predominance of ‘natural’ riding, before people decided they had to build stuff or ride built stuff?

Tbh there is loads of that around where Matt is, Dumyat, mine woods, north third…. Get an ebike and get up the Ochils, my mate in Menstrie is constantly up there, brilliant way to explore and get off the beaten track.

IHN

Get an ebikeJust bloody pedal and get up the Ochils, my mate in Menstrie is constantly up there, brilliant way to explore and get off the beaten track.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just bloody pedal

Go for it, let us know how you get on, I can gaurantee you that you won’t be pedalling the climbs. 🙂

IHN

To be honest, I don’t know the area, but the thread going straight in to suggestions of built trails and e-bikes managed to push my buttons pretty effectively. I’d best dip out before I get properly grumpy 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Just bloody pedal

Pedal and get one run in, or pedal + ebike and get four runs in. Hmm, which is better?

Anyway, it seems to be location dependent. There are loads and loads of middling technical trails round by me as well as some scary looking ones. By middle I mean open to anyone competent on a bike but still great fun if you pin it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t know the area, but the thread going straight in to suggestions of built trails and e-bikes managed to push my buttons pretty effectively. I’d best dip out before I get properly grumpy

Aye, agreed, you’re right, I’m just pointing out other options in the OPs area

molgrips
    Free Member

To be honest, I don’t know the area, but the thread going straight in to suggestions of built trails and e-bikes managed to push my buttons pretty effectively. I’d best dip out before I get properly grumpy

Down here, the built* trails represent at least 75% of the available singletrack. And it’s mostly free of walkers. I’m no MTB hooligan but even I can see the benefit, it’s hugely increased the number of trails within riding distance of my house. And as for ebikes, WGAF? You aren’t being made to ride one. In fact, I suspect the number of ebikes is a major factor responsible for the vastly increased trail network.

* by built, I mean created by MTBers. Most are just a line through otherwise dense trees where no-one would have gone.

greyspoke
    Free Member

It depends what you mean by “built” and “natural”. “Natural” trails may have been made by a bit of clearing and scraping, using the existing terrain etc., and require maintenance. They aren’t all completely natural, even if they look it.

Sometimes people decide to “improve” such trails by “building” them, which can create tensions with folk who preferred them the way they were. Generally such alterations make the trials easier in some respects (bermed corners, smoother surfaces) whilst difficulter in others (jumps, drops, the possibility of going faster).

As for “middle ground” it really depends on your skill set where the middle is. There are bike park junkies who can send it miles on the kitty litter but struggle with steep twisty rocky rooty natural stuff, and folk who like that but take the chicken line round anything bigger than a wheelie bin.

chakaping
    Free Member

There are bike part junkies

Guilty as charged, your honour.

copa
    Free Member

The problem: You have a £5,000 bouncy bike that’s completely unnecessary for your local trails.
    The solution: Add lots of ‘features’ to trails and try to change the environment to suit needs of Tommy C hype types. Yeah boi!

greyspoke
    Free Member

There are bike part junkies

Guilty as charged, your honour.

LOL @chakaping, a happy typo. I’ve changed it now.

molgrips
    Free Member

The problem: You have a £5,000 bouncy bike that’s completely unnecessary for your local trails.
    The solution: Add lots of ‘features’ to trails and try to change the environment to suit needs of Tommy C hype types. Yeah boi!

That’s pretty daft. The features aren’t there to somehow justify the bike purchase, as if it needed it. They are there because they are fun. Amazing how up themselves some people can be because they apparently don’t understand this simple point.

marksnook
    Free Member

I build a fair bit around Dursley/stinchcombe and often get people messaging asking to build big gaps (or what ever feature they want). It normally gets the reply of go find a section of woodland where there are no existing trails and build your own. Don’t modify existing trails etc
    I don’t like shoehorning big features into a trail and much prefer to use existing shapes to create features. Do you know who builds around your area? Maybe reach out and speak to them? Maybe join a dig day?
    My time is limited so building features that other people request. Like others have said get out and build something

maxtorque

I think it’s because trails naturally tend to be made harder, because once you can ride the trail as it is now, you want to modify and change it so it’s a challange again, which leads to the trail itself getting harder slowly.

Most of my local cheeky trails start with a simple single line through the wood. It gets slowly discovered and more and more people ride it. Then someone perhaps builds up a bit of dirt here, pushes a fallen log across there and makes some small features. Then later, someone digs out the middle after the log, building up that earth to make a bigger take off, and suddenly we have a gap jump where previously we had nothing.

At some point, things get too extreme, gaps get too big, jumps too indimidating looking, and now, suddenly the only people riding the trail are the more extreme riders. The bulk of riders who bascially kept the trail open by riding it are now gone, and the trail withers and dies and returns to nature.

This is the natural life cycle of the trail….

(or alternatively the FC comes along and flattens it)

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’re missing the point man, trails are either for Gravel bikes or 170mm eBikes now, man, get with the program 😀

copa
    Free Member

They are there because they are fun

They’re fun if you own a £5,000 bike.
    But a byproduct is that they also often ruin decent natural trails.

BillOddie

I was pondering this very question not so long ago after reading comments on the “local riders FB group” bemoaning the flattening of some trails built without permission on private land…:sigh:

There will always be quite a lot of PURPOSE BUILT LEGAL “beginner trails” and by beginner i mean you could rock up on a reasonably priced starter bike with a helmet and a water bottle and have a lovely time.  No navigation needed, wheels stay on the ground the whole time if you want.   Land managers love these as they are low risk and high reward as they fill the carparking machines and families spend loads at the cafe.  Example: Minortaur at CyB.

At the other end of the scale, there are Dirt Jump spots, DH tracks with big doubles/gaps that get built (generally without permission) because that’s what the riders (generally younger) want and aren’t served elsewhere outside of the 40quid a day uplift places that could well be 3 hours drive away.  They tend to get flattened unless they are really built well out of the way which is pretty difficult for the vast majority of England but defo more possible in Wales and Scotland.

The middle ground is definitely where things get murky.   On one hand we do have more challenging legally built trails at trail centres, e.g. Tarw Du at CyB but they are few and far between and obviously we have the likes of Bike Park Wales.  I would think the multipurpose FC sites will shy away from building these as the MTB box will have been ticked, all they will get form a slight (if that) uptick in revenue is loads more HSE hassle and incidents.

I think the middle ground is actually best served by getting the maps out/strava/trailforks out and seeking out those tricky natural trails (be they Bridleways or “cheeky”) that are a bit further out there.

BoardinBob

Even the most cursory glance at trailforks shows that pretty much everywhere has a wide variety of trail levels. Even a mega gnar place like Dunkeld has loads of nice flowy non mental stuff that usually gets overlooked.

sharkattack

So I can buy a crap bike and get my thrills on the local canal path? Why didn’t I think of that?

They’re fun if you own a £5,000 bike.
    But a byproduct is that they also often ruin decent natural trails.

I’ve never spent 5 grand on a bike in my life but I’d choose built features for fun any day of the week over the crushing misery of endless bridleways.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Stirling has loads of middle ground stuff. I can link a couple of hours worth easily doable on a hardtail but bumpier than a glentress blue….

IHN

I’ve never spent 5 grand on a bike in my life but I’d choose the wandering natural beauty of endless bridleways any day of the week to the contrived gnaar-bollocks of built features.

doomanic

I have spent (nearly) five grand on a bike and I’m glad I won’t have to share the gnar with dullards for whom a bridleway is the height of MTBing…

copa
    Free Member

So I can buy a crap bike and get my thrills on the local canal path? Why didn’t I think of that?

No, instead of riding an appropriate bike along a canal path you should add some hype ‘features’. Oi, oi. Yeah boi!!!

Trimix
    Free Member

I don’t think it matters what you spend on your bike, or the amount of bounce it gets. Its the size of your balls and the size of the gap/jump/log/hole/drop that actually matters.

Don’t forget, some of those slopestyle blokes are doing house sized features on bikes with ohly a few inches of front travel. Then there is whatshisname on GMBM who can session all the jumps at a bike park on a bloody gravel bike FFS.

stevextc
    Free Member

teethgrinder

We’re not lacking in them. You’re just in the wrong place.

This exactly….

Weesky

Yes, it’s my 1 bugbear of what is ‘built’ these days, everything people build in the wilds are built with massive gaps in them

99% of surrey hills is completely tame… barely more fun than Swinley and in the last weekend I was at Friston which is exactly the same… barely any compulsory doubles and despite being a “trail centre” I was at gisburn a few weeks ago and other than being ruined by artificial surfaces (which I get for erosion) there’s only really the hope line and DH section with any features at all.

Miles and miles of tame off piste at FOD…
    You could be in the wrong place or you could just be seeing a skewed perspective (see below)

As for “middle ground” it really depends on your skill set where the middle is.

I dunno, my experience is that the impressions of different places are dominated by social media. If you explore there is 10x as much middle ground as any extreme, its just the social media is dominated by a small amount of more extreme parts.

tomhoward

I don’t think it matters what you spend on your bike, or the amount of bounce it gets.

chakaping
    Free Member

No, instead of riding an appropriate bike along a canal path you should add some hype ‘features’. Oi, oi. Yeah boi!!!

U OK hun?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Do we need more ‘middle ground’ trails?’ is closed to new replies.