Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Do It all Cross Type Bikes, Choices…?
  • WayneKing
    Free Member

Ive already got a Singlecross, its great bike, perfect fit, handles well offroad (and surprisingly has a much smoother and more lively ride than my old steel roadbike). No maintenance necessary as it doesn’t have any gears to wear out.

Originally i was going to put an Alfine hub on the back, it wasn’t till i bought it i found out that it had 120mm track dropouts so the Alfine wouldn’t fit!

Id like a similar bike with gears. So do i got for another Specialized Tricross, or a Cannondale CAADX? which are both going to be lot lighter but require more maintenance than my other choice, the new Genesis Day One Alfine?

Anyone got the Genesis bike (Croix de fer or whatever) Is it any good?
    Its going to be used for a bit of everything and will also replace my geared road bike, so that’s why im torn between lightness and low maintenance.

So… this?

or this?

or this?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have had my Singlecroos for 2 years . Great although no where near as supple a ride as my steel bikes. It is an xs and i doubt the tubing has been scaled down accordingly. Must admit lusting after a Day One alfine or the One one Pompetamine. Thats after deciding that i can’t afford a Singular or Salsa Vaya/Fargo.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

the orange one looks best.

grantway
    Free Member

Thought the Kona Jake The Snake be the one to look at.

geoffj

There is a Day One Cross Alfine on the wall in the new Alpine Bikes in Perth and it looks fantastic. The discs on it would seal the deal for me. at £1000 its bike to workable too.

anotherstan
    Free Member

matthewlhome – Member
    the orange one looks best.

as stated above.
    i have no idea about road/ cross bikes, but yeah, the orange one looks best 😳

rOcKeTdOg

i lifted one of those Genesis alfine things up yesterday, i nearly did my back in,they weigh a ton! all on the back wheel, must handle like a rear drive car in snow when you venture onto the dirt

si-wilson
    Free Member

Brodie Romax

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388219@N00/5061753395/]Speed Series – 2011 Romax (al)[/url] by srbwilson, on Flickr

Brodie Ronin

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388219@N00/5061751087/]2011 Ronin[/url] by srbwilson, on Flickr

antigee

try this thread from a couple of days ago (not a oh my god you should have done a search etc etc etc correction – more a sort of could be worth a look as some good stuff)

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cyclo-cross-bike

WayneKing
    Free Member

Well its not “bike workable” for me im afraid, as the place i work doesn’t (cant be arsed to!) run the ride to work scheme, instead they supply us with free “hybrid type” bikes from the local Halfords, great i suppose if your doing a few miles into work (unless someone sees you on one,the shame!) but rubbish if you’ve got a 35 mile round trip to work and back 50% of it offroad.

The Day One does look a great bike, but i wouldn’t mind having a look at one first, any good dealers in the NW?

geoffj
    WayneKing
    Free Member

Brodie bikes look interesting (and possibly expensive) i suspect they are hard to come by in the UK.

WayneKing
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/stockists

Just noticed Sideways are a stockist!

geoffj

Brodie bikes look interesting (and possibly expensive) i suspect they are hard to come by in the UK.

Si sells ’em – http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/

Although I can’t see those models on his website.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I bring them in to the UK on a pre order basis. Romax Al £1200, Ronin £999. They also do a number of cromo x bikes, see here for images.

Web site not update yet as i have only just finalised prices etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93388219@N00/sets/72157625119801938/

karnali
    Free Member

wayne king what size the singlecross may be intested if it is being sold to fund the new one

geoffj

oh and do you want to sell the singlecross?

WayneKing
    Free Member

Cheers for the info on the Brodie.
    The Singlecross is 58cm, dont know if I’ll sell it tbh, handy for going to work on, as the route is flat(ish) although i’ll have a think about it if i get a geared bike in the near future.

The Singlecross just a bit limited (to hard to pedal for my weak legs!) in the Peaks or any offroad climbs you cant get a run up for!

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’re a lucky man wayne, the Genesis croix de fer is the prettiest bike i’ve ever seen:

i’m trying to work out an excuse that will let me buy one…

geoffj

The Singlecross is 58cm

Thank goodness for that – its too large 😆

ourmaninthenorth

That croix de fer is anything but pretty..!

Lots of choices from the usual suspects: kinesis, on-one, paul milnes, ragley, dolan, ridley, all the big names.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

CAAD-X would be my choice. I also like the look of a Cube X-Race for a grand.

tinribz
    Free Member

They all look a bit samey. I’m gonna guess a 29er with Midges handles better off-road, but how do they compare to a crosser on road? They might be more of a ‘do it all’.

firestarter
    Free Member

Surly crosscheck is a true do it all, had mine with road cx and 1.8 29er tyres geared ss and fixed and running guards and a rack sometimes too. Great bike if I could have only one it would be that

vdubber67
    Free Member

God that Romax Al is gorgeous!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Do It all Cross Type Bikes, Choices…?’ is closed to new replies.