Home Forums Bike Forum Do I want dropper post?

• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Del.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Do I want dropper post?
  • Longarmedmonkey

After a bit of sketchy and steep limestone (relative to my ability), I’ve decided a dropper post would help reduce the feeling that I’m going to exit over the handlebar every few minutes.

Is it worth getting one fitted to my Genesis Core 20? I am thinking I will need to convert to 1x to give me enough space on bar/cable routes. New bike is not an option at present.

Despite riding on and off for 35 years I’m still very much a beginner. I will be speaking to the LBS but wanted to benefit from some of the wisdom here first.

Thanks in advance

cookeaa

you don’t have to go 1x there are options of over-bar dropper levers or under the saddle nose (not the option I’d suggest though).

The main thing to consider is how cables are going to be routed, Does the frame already have holes for internal routing of a dropper cable? if not some people choose to drill them, other people (including me) choose an externally cabled option.

thols2

Yes. Probably more than one, assuming you own more than one bike.

Longarmedmonkey

Of course I own more than one bike, although its not so much of a issue on gravel bike – at least for the riding I do.

BigJohn

I put an X-Fusion on my Mk1 Cotic Soul with front mech and external cable routing and it worked a treat.

The older geometry meant that I had to remind myself to lower the seat before each tricky drop, whereas with a newer LLS bike it just felt instinctive and I guess I was using it much more often. Funny that.

I’ve put one on my Diverge gravel bike which is a good upgrade. I tend to value the ability to drop say 15mm from a road position to a slightly lower off road height as much as the full drop for big drops.

Longarmedmonkey

Thanks Cookeaa. I didn’t realise the were options. That’s all very helpful.

ossify

Do you drop the saddle manually for some descents? Try it and see what difference it makes.

Personally a dropper makes a huge difference for me, far and away the best thing since suspension or disc brakes.

The ability to drop it partially for bumpyish ground is not to be underestimated either, it’s not only for all the way up or down.

sharkattack

It’s one of the few components that rightly deserves the constantly overused title ‘game changer’.

thols2

The ability to drop it partially for bumpyish ground is not to be underestimated either, it’s not only for all the way up or down.

Yes, this is why all my bikes have them, including my commuter. Once you get used to having one, you use it constantly.

jamesoz

If asked, you can have suspension or a dropper post? I’d chose dropper post all day long.

Longarmedmonkey

Well that’s pretty unanimous. Thank you everyone.

Kramer
    Free Member

They are game changers when it comes to descending, they just inspire confidence.

tomhoward

I’d take a dropper over suspension and gears TBH. Gravel commuter included.

stanley

Definitely… On some rides I use the dropper lever more than the gear levers :-)

seriousrikk

Yes! Absolutely!

Even my old 26″ pub bike has a dropper.

If it weren’t for the fact I also have a dirt jumper I would say I’ll never have a bike without one.

fathomer

Like others, I’d take one over suspension. And generally the longer the better.

thepurist

Brand X did a lever for 2x/3x systems –

Brand-X Ascend Dropper Lever Kit – 2X – 3X Gears

As above go for the longest drop that can fit in your frame, depending on the frame you may need to go for external routing or be brave and drill a hole to get a cable into your seat tube.

tthew

Of course I own more than one bike, although its not so much of a issue on gravel bike

I’ve got one on my gravel bike. It’s brilliant.

vlad_the_invader

Is this the only thread on STW with all the posters agreeing?

Rich_s

Brand X did a lever for 2x/3x systems

Presumably you could just run a 1x dropper lever upside down on the right hand side, above the brake lever?

Eldest’s Scott has an arrangement like this for the suspension lockouts (on the left though).

prettygreenparrot

Yes. No question. One of the best mtb accessories after suspension.

zerocool

Yes. They’re the best thing to happen to mountain bikes since working disc brakes.

ads678

Yes. Haven’t even read the OP!

citizenlee
    Free Member

Definitely one of those “Holy shit! How did I ever manage without one?” components.

chiefgrooveguru

“Is this the only thread on STW with all the posters agreeing?”

I was thinking that. And thinking about all the past threads where some of us were saying this whilst others were still saying “no, I don’t need a technique compensator” or words to that effect. Progress!

misteralz
    Free Member

Yes. Which dropper? That’s where the arguments start.

kayak23

Without reading the replies. Yes.

sharkattack

I was thinking that. And thinking about all the past threads where some of us were saying this whilst others were still saying “no, I don’t need a technique compensator” or words to that effect. Progress!

And people have finally stopped posting THAT photo of Nino doing a whip with his saddle at chest height, as if it’s somehow relevant to the riding experience of normal humans.

snotrag

I will be speaking to the LBS but wanted to benefit from some of the wisdom here first.

I’d give up suspension before I gave up a dropper post for mountain biking now.

Honestly.

And people have finally stopped posting THAT photo of Nino doing a whip with his saddle at chest height, as if it’s somehow relevant to the riding experience of normal humans.

Nino Schurter riding the old model Spark with a fixed seatpost:

Nino Schurter riding his current bike with a Reverb AXS

Case: rested.

smiffy

Yes, but keep your gears the same. I still have triple on my Mk1 Soul and it all works a treat.

sharkattack

I still have triple on my Mk1 Soul

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hold your horses before going and spending £100’s

1. Do you have a quick release on the existing seatpost and use that to lower the saddle when you know a steep decent is coming?

2. What is the geometry like ie is it XC geo which is more inclined to send you over the bars?

3. Is your fork serviced/working correctly ie not just diving in to its travel with no rebound?

I currently ride a 2012 XC bike, and get the over the bars feeling alot ! I lower the saddle on steep techy decents, but it doesnt change the fact the geo is old and steep angled, and my fork is knackerd.

My next bike that I hopefully get in a couple of weeks will have a dropper post and they are so much more convenient, but they dont change the over the bars bit. The newer geometry and decent fork will solve that for me.

Del

As others, the suspension and gears go before you prise a dropper out of my cold, dead hands.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.