Home Forums Bike Forum Do I want DI2 on a commute bike?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Do I want DI2 on a commute bike?
  • reeksy

So, i’m trying to make my mind up between two very similar 2nd hand XC hardtails. One has 11-speed xtr Di2 and Guide Ultimate brakes. The other’s analogue 12-speed GX with XT brakes.

Both priced the same. I personally prefer Shimano brakes normally but have no experience of Di2.

What should I do?

Daffy

This answers your question.

No, you don’t want to be **** around with having to charge batteries on your commuter bike, which, if like mine, will get attention if, and only if, it’s falling to bits.

This is rubbish.

A Di2 and hydro disc equipped commuter requires FAR less maintenance than something with cables.  I commute around 7000km a year on a Di2 commuter and have done for 8-10 years.  Only once have I had a nearly dead battery (totally my fault – kept forgetting to charge it after very long days at work) and I only have to charge it 3 times a year.   No cable stretch, no rusting of inners and outers, no freezing of cables inside the outers, no chattering of slightly misaligned gears.

The only fault I’ve had is a worn wire near a frame entry port which eventually caused a battery drain.  £15 to fix.  I’ve not bought any cables, ferrules, outers, nothing for almost 100k km!

Daffy

So, i’m trying to make my mind up between two very similar 2nd hand XC hardtails. One has 11-speed xtr Di2 and Guide Ultimate brakes. The other’s analogue 12-speed GX with XT brakes.

Both priced the same. I personally prefer Shimano brakes normally but have no experience of Di2.

What should I do?

Where’s the battery stored for the Di2 on the XC hardtail?  On road and gravel bikes, it’s in the seattube, but on a MTB you may want a dropper…I had to make a device to store my battery inside the TT of my Trek Stache to have DI2 and a Dropper and have everything tucked away.

jonba
    Free Member

Yes. In many ways it needs less maintenance. The bits that wear are the same price (chain, cassette etc.).

Shifts well all the time.

Works well with gloves and cold hands.

I charge mine rarely on 5000+ miles a year. Normally at the start of the year and before holidays or big days out.

It goes wrong but about as often as cables do.

You are going to spend a lot of riding time commuting. Make the bike enjoyable to ride.

reeksy

Where’s the battery stored for the Di2 on the XC hardtail?

Good question. There’s an option of a Thompson dropper with it so presumably it’s tucked away somewhere.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Di2 and AXS are so good that there’s no way I would buy a new bike without electronic shifting. I’ve had Di2 on my road bike for 4 years and the only issue I’ve had is having to replace the battery. I think the battery’s only last 5 years or so mine was a 2019 model. Anyway I think £105 for a battery easy job to change. So maintenance has been average £25 a year for perfect shifting. I’ve also replaced the chain many times but that’s just normal wear and tear.

zilog6128

never agreed with the point that your commuter should be shit/a beater (unless you have nowhere secure to put it I guess!) When I was commuting regularly by bike, it was by far the bike I rode the most, therefore should be the nicest!! (if you can afford it obvs)

ransos
    Free Member

never agreed with the point that your commuter should be shit/a beater (unless you have nowhere secure to put it I guess!)

Depends on your circumstances I would say. My commute is short and I sometimes use my bike for errands and meetings around town. A beater is perfect for my usage.

schmiken

My commuter is a hydro Di2 equipped titanium bike (with dynamo and mudguards) so that it had the least possible amount of maintenance without going with a belt drive IGH.

It’s fantastic, I would thoroughly recommend it.

crazy-legs

never agreed with the point that your commuter should be shit/a beater (unless you have nowhere secure to put it I guess!) When I was commuting regularly by bike, it was by far the bike I rode the most, therefore should be the nicest!! (if you can afford it obvs)

This ^^.

Sure, if it was a mile to the station where it’d be locked up all day then I’d absolutely ride a heap of junk but on a commute I want something fast, comfortable and utterly reliable. I did 10’s of thousands of miles on mine over the years precisely because when I got up every morning, I *wanted* to ride the bike.

Looking at a new bike on C2W now. Electronic gearing all the way. Just need to get work (new job, new company just getting set up) to sort out a decent C2W scheme but I’m already talking to them about that and so far they’ve been very positive, the HR lady has an e-bike (for utility purposes, she’s not “a cyclist” as such but that is exactly the sort of person you want in charge of a C2W scheme; someone who understands how much decent bikes cost and how enabling they can be!) so I’m quietly hopeful at the moment…

reeksy

I’m of the same mind when it Co.es to commuting. I’ve a 28km each way pleasant gravel ride with singletrack options. No rode to work schemes though unfortunately.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.