Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Do I want a 7"+ burly bike and a 5"ish trail bike?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Im soon coming to a place where i can afford to run a 5″ trail bike and a 7-8″ bike park/freeride/uplift bike instead of using a 6″ bike (sb66) for everything.

I could just stick with the SB66, splash out on lots of ti/carbon and some devoted xc and DH wheels.

I ride everything from trail centres, tame woods through to uplifts days, mini DH races and doing whatever gaps (the bigger the better) i can find. My version of a XC ride though is making loops out of DH tracks.

It’s attractive to have a smaller travel bike to clock up the XC miles more easily, but worry about the strength of the bike as i tend to send whatever gaps i find on a xc ride.

It’s attractive to have a bigger stronger bike, since i can always have a bike ready to go with the right tyres/wheels etc, plus no worries about breaking it on big stuff, but worry that it will hardly get used and also feel too removed from what’s going on. Im a life long BMXer who will either gap the rough or enjoy getting flung about, smoothing out the rough really isn’t a priority of mine.

It’s also a harder decision to make since the SB66 is so good at everything i ride.

What’s everyone elses experiences?

An example of my ideal riding –

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/303796/

bigrich

7+ bikes only really come to life on big mountains. buy the carbon sb66 if you really must spend money.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you get a 5in trail bike, will you end up putting a bigger fork on it and making it the same weight as the 6in bike anyway?

teddy
    Free Member

I ride a patriot 7+ and an old sub5.
    Theres definately room for both in the uk and the patriot is worth the weight penalty if i am feeling ‘rad’

AlexSimon

What are the guys in that vid riding? Nomads, or V10s?
    A few of the group I ride with use Nomads as their do-it-all bike.

Either way 2 bikes is good – always have a backup for when the shocks need servicing or whatever.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Do I want a 7"+ burly bike and a 5"ish trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.